FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-20 10:23 am   Permalink

Here in Toronto, there was a big booth by the train station this morning. Reps from the network were handing out leis and I saw them setting up fountains for punch, etc. I guess they really need to build enthusiasm (or at least awareness) for this show.

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 10:32 am   Permalink

I haven't noticed much promo work by CBS up here. I also noticed that rival NBC is pimping "The EVENT" big time which makes me wonder why CBS is counter punching.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 7:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 10:32, rugbymatt wrote:
I haven't noticed much promo work by CBS up here. I also noticed that rival NBC is pimping "The EVENT" big time which makes me wonder why CBS is counter punching.

I think the first 5 minutes of this evening's episode kind of summed up why they didn't promo this show very much. It might as well have been another episode of 24. Hanging on for the rest, but not expecting much from this. I hope they dare to be different with this.

[ This Message was edited by: Vince Martini 2010-09-20 19:17 ]

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 7:32 pm   Permalink

Okay...it's growing on me now that McGarrett is putting together his team. I'll stop the rolling commentary and watch the rest of the show now.

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 8:25 pm   Permalink

As a lifelong fan of the original 5-0 I went into this fully prepared to hate the
new show and guess what?

It doesn't suck!

Corny dialogue, gratuitous violence, tense melodrama,
and they even ended with all the main characters sitting
around chuckling!

See you next Monday!

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 8:29 pm   Permalink

You said it John-o!

And yeah, I've got a feeling that this thing is gonna be lame. Lame like that new Trader Vics was in Vegas. All hype, no substance. It feels comparable to how the remaking of a Dirty Harry movie would be, today. The era is so part of the original... To take it out of that, there had better be some amazing writing involved.
Or maybe I'm proven wrong tonight, and it's a great show. We'll see.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 11:21 pm   Permalink

OK
I didn't hate it....I liked it for what it was
Just the Kono character...as hot as Grace Parks is, I think it' a serious injustice to the show to make Kono a chick.
I loved Scott Caan, just as I thought I would...he was great, and his wisecracking kept me laughing throughout.

There was very little beauty shots of Hawaii, and not many local characters, except that one guy from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"...he was good.

I'll keep watching.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 04:29 am   Permalink

they should have kept to the actual era like madmen.....it's so refreshing to see period style shows these days as opposed to shows like this trying to capture the "spring break" audiences and college kids.....too bad....it could have been a real cool, intelligent crime drama especially if it was a little darker in it's story telling than the original.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 06:50 am   Permalink

My take:

I went in with an open mind and imho it crashed and burned. The camera work and graphics are stellar, but it just felt like I was watching CSI: Honolulu.

My biggest complaint is McGarret. Look, I realize this is the 21st Century and the original 5-0 debuted in 1968. But the appeal of Steve McGarret was that he was larger than life. He was a cool and calm stoic who was hard as steel and yet had a heart of gold.

In contrast, this guy plays McGarret like Kevin Costner would play him. Indeed, this show is more a remake of The Untouchables than it is of 5-0. And the McGarret-Danno dynamic is all wrong. It was more like watching how Starsky and Hutch were first aquainted. In the original, Steve was in charge and Danno was the loyal right-hand man. These guys were decking each other half the time.

An interesting mix of PC (the terrorists) with a complete jettisoning of PC (when Steve, Danno, and Chin question the fella selling shaved ice). I will say no more of that. Quite violent- glad its on late.

As a cheesy cop/buddy show or, as I said, a remake of The Untouchables in Hawaii, its entertaining enough. Its technically competent and the acting is fine. Its just did not do it for me. But that's just my opinion and I know others will feel differently. No worries.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 08:07 am   Permalink

Nope, didn't like it enough to go back again. I agree with Tipsy, would have been nice to get a period style show instead.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 08:21 am   Permalink

I thought it was entertaining... I'm not about to set my dvr to record every episode though....
It was like a better version of that horrible show, Las Vegas. Pretty glossy but with a better story line... It was pretty much what I expected. The writing wasn't horrible. It played to a lot of the action hero, buddy movie stereotypes...
I'd give it a pass if it wasn't called Hawaii 5-0. They're infringing on a legendary tv series' legacy.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-21 08:27 am   Permalink

Got home late and only saw the last 15 minutes...didn't hold my attention much. The shot of the police statio0n was nostalgic though. Might try to watch it once more.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 08:30 am   Permalink

I can agree that it's not "classic" but it's still better than CSI: Miami lol. Like others have said, I hope the locale and people play more of a role moving forward. This episode could have happened most anywhere that had waterfront access. I'll watch it again, only because there's not a whole lot else worth watching and hopefully it'll keep improving.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 09:07 am   Permalink

In case you missed it. (and/or don't own a TV like me).

I'm going to check it out later tonight based on the general positive feedback (i.e. "it didn't suck")...

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/hawaii_five_0

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-21 11:20 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-21 06:50, JackLord wrote:
My take:

I went in with an open mind and...

Really......"Jack Lord" ?

Somehow I fond that statement a bit of a stretch, coming from you, and all.

Lounge Shark said "This episode could have happened most anywhere that had waterfront access. I'll watch it again, only because there's not a whole lot else worth watching and hopefully it'll keep improving."

I agree, but I think this episode served to set up the cast backgrounds and basic show outline.
Y'know McGarrett returns to Hawaii, and puts together his team, introduce everyone and kill the guy who killed his dad.
Cliche yea, but hopefully, now that that is out of the way, the plots will be good and the real "local Hawaii" aspect really gets to shine.

I'm going to watch it the entire season, unless it REALLY starts to get cliche and cheesy.

So far, like I said, Scott Caan (Danno) is the most entertaining character.

I'm curious to see what the villains will be like. The original had really colorful bad guys, so they have alot to live up to in that respect.

Also, it looks like James Williams MAY make some appearances on the show....

http://tgif.staradvertiser.com/archives/8052

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation