FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 08:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-21 23:52, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The Wo Fat episodes were the best! I watched the pilot when it first aired
as a kid & really dug it then.

Interesting Hawaii 5-0 fact:

"Kam Fong, an 18-year veteran of the Honolulu Police Department, auditioned for the part of the lead villain Wo Fat, but Freeman cast him in the part of Chin Ho Kelly instead. Freeman took the name Wo Fat from a restaurant in downtown Honolulu."

FYI, the restaurant is still there. It's an old-school chop suey establishement.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-22 09:20 am   Permalink

Here's my review of the pilot for the online magazine Retrospective
http://www.retrospectmag.com/reviews/2010/412-hawaii-five-o-2010.html

I'll be writing a more indepth piece for TIKI Magazine.

I wanted to like it, but it's just not my style.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-22 11:57 am   Permalink

I'm not going to base my opinion on the pilot...I don't think it's fair to.
How many tv pilots ended up being alot different (and way more lame) then the series ended up being ?

I'll give it a season and see what they do to improve the faults.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-22 1:01 pm   Permalink

Nice writeup Will (AquaZombie). One thing I disagree with is the line that there was nothing innovative about the original Five-O, other than the theme music and location shooting. I'd argue that the location shooting, and more broadly the way that the setting and casting and local life played an important part of many of the stories and visuals, were significant enough factors to give the overall show an innovative impact.

One thing about the original Five-O is that even in the midst of a crime every week, somehow it captures more of the intangible aloha of Hawaii. Maybe it came from a time when tourism was more widely celebrated as part of the economy, rather than resented as in the new "Chin Ho" grumbling about tourists after one drops in on his cousin's wave.

Based on what I saw from the new Five-O, I think "Kono" was right, it should be called STRIKE FORCE. It would still turn me off (and my TV too), but at least that name would make more sense.

Can anyone cite any reason of substance that this show should be called Hawaii Five-O? Name recognition is not a reason, because once you get past the name recognition, there's no connection at all in the substance of the show. The location and the character names are the same, but in terms of substance they really aren't.

Jack Lord's McGarrett sends Danno off all the time to do tough jobs ("you draw their fire while we wait here")? How much did the original Danno whine or get all sensitive about needing an apology? Compare that with this pilot - what did they spend, like 5 min on the apology? Blah-blah-me-me-boo-hoo. If character personalities have to be such a larger part of the show, they should at least be likeable or interesting. Either way, it's got nothing to do with the original Five-O.

My message to TV execs: Go ahead and keep making carbon copy location-based hip hardbody crime shows. Don't bother trying to come up with anything new. Stick to the tired formulas that pervade every other lifeless show. But why do you have to taint classics with these endless remakes-in-name-only?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-22 5:01 pm   Permalink

Initially, I found myself disappointed while watching the pilot. Jack Lord & Co. were very hard to shake as I watched the new Steve McGarrett & would think, "That's not McGarrett...that's not Danno..." But I have to say, after watching it again with my wife I ultimately found it entertaining. Yes, the reasons for getting the "strike force" together were a little thin and the character interaction did feel forced at times but as others have said, this was the pilot. It remains to be seen if the series will get better. In the meantime, I'll "be there, aloha."

[ This Message was edited by: Tobor64 2010-09-22 17:02 ]

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-23 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-22 09:20, AquaZombie wrote:
Here's my review of the pilot for the online magazine Retrospective

http://www.retrospectmag.com/reviews/2010/412-hawaii-five-o-2010.html

GREAT REVIEW AquaZombie !!

I concur with your Hawaii 5-0 comments (and also your take on the Miami Vice movie).

I agree that the main problem is trying to recreate the characters of the orginal show. How could any actor live up to the memory of Jack Lord? It's impossible.

Well if this current series doesn't make it, how a reboot of the remake of the original (which is all the rage in Hollywood these days)? I like your recommendation of "update not only the concept, but change the identities of the lead characters" and "reference the first show as part of its lineage".

Consider this...

A reboot of the new series would acknowledge the original show's existence in the late 1960's and feature Steve McGarrett's grandson as a 5-0 rookie trying to live up to the legend of his famous grandfather. So what's up with McGarrett having an unmentioned offspring during the original series? That would all be part of an exciting flashback subplot.

The team's current lead would be Dog the Bounty Hunter (essentially playing himself except he would always wear a black suit, also he would NEVER take off his sunglasses). That casting would give the show some authentic Hawaiian "street credibility".

The coolest part of show would be the ghost of Steve McGarrett appearing whenever his grandson needed mentoring. Either a look alike or CGI could be used.

Another recurring character would be Wo Fat's daughter Lo Fat (ha, ha) played by Grace Park. In an homage to 1930's Dragon Ladies, she would be the mastermind behind an island syndicate manufacturing and selling methamphetamine. (Please reference Myrna Loy's kinky portrayal in 1932's "The Mask of Fu Manchu").

Also to add some local relevance, a break-away "terrorist" faction of the Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement would attempt to destroy Hawaii's tourist industry to bring light to their cause. As with the IRA, they would take measures to ensure innocent lives are not taken. I could see them kidnapping and holding for ransom a "celebrity" guest star every month. I think Paris Hilton (playing herself) might be a good choice. She could also have an on-going Patty Hearst hostage-type role. As part of her brainwashing she would speak in Pidgin so thick that subtitles would be needed.

It'll be called "Hawaii Five-0, the Next Generation" (or H50-TNG for short).

What do you guys think? Can I quit my day job?

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-23 14:24 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-24 12:34 pm   Permalink

LOL, within 2 days of the pilot, some of my internet savvy friends have started a site for the fictional Kukui High School. "Home of the Fighting Nuts" (http://www.kukuihigh.com)

Long lost alums have started posting to the yearbook and have invented a back story. There will even be KHS apparel in the future.

Aloha,
Colin

[ This Message was edited by: kapu_kai_son 2010-09-24 12:38 ]

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-25 2:12 pm   Permalink

So if you missed the new Hawaii Five-0 it is being repeated
on CBS Tonight at 8pm PST, you Central & East Coast watchers check your TV guide!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-26 8:00 pm   Permalink

I tried watching it but couldn't get past the first 5 or so minutes. I don't understand why they just didn't create a separate show called "Bourgeois Upstart Team Attempt to Act" instead of "trying" to call it Hawaii 5-O. One show that kinda piqued my interest was the Fringe/X-Files/Lost clone titled The Event. Episode 2 should be a make it or break it type deal.

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-28 07:28 am   Permalink

I liked last night's episode. Definitely better than the pilot.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 09:14 am   Permalink

Mrs. Bungalow and I watched last night and the pilot last week... I'm not too sure we will stick with it... so very predictable... but we'll see if it can draw us in.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 3:25 pm   Permalink

Any guesses on what number episode it will be when we see a cameo by a tiki?

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-28 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-28 15:25, naugatiki wrote:
Any guesses on what number episode it will be when we see a cameo by a tiki?

Not holding my breath on that one.

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-28 4:37 pm   Permalink

I'd like to see a scene taken at La Mariana, maybe have Gecko play a crazed tiki madman drinking out of one of his new mugs at the bar, Tikiyaki Orchestra playing on the stage in the background... I'd be hooked then!!

Does Danno and McGarrett squabble a little to much???

I like the opening scene though to this week's episode...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-28 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-28 16:37, Beachbumz wrote:
I'd like to see a scene taken at La Mariana, maybe have Gecko play a crazed tiki madman drinking out of one of his new mugs at the bar, Tikiyaki Orchestra playing on the stage in the background... I'd be hooked then!!

Does Danno and McGarrett squabble a little to much???

I like the opening scene though to this week's episode...

well...the squabbling makes for some funny moments...like I said, Scott Caan is pretty funny. CHin Ho is still the straight man, like in the original (except for the orignal pilot) and Kono...well, he's a girl now....at least she got her ass kicked this week.

The opening scene was classic Hawaii 5-0, IMO.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation