FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-01 11:39 pm   Permalink

Maybe I'm just feeling sentimental since James MacArthur just died, but I have to admit, the remake is growing on me. I hated the first three episodes, but tonite's installment - an ex-SEAL who went off his meds and takes a bunch of hostages on the Arizona, swearing he didn't kill his wife - is a plot right off the old show. The cast is still not very distinctive - they could replace them all next week and I'd barely notice - but I'm getting used to them, so they're not as annoying. The main reason I keep watching are the scenery and the original theme song (which has changed since the pilot, the current version is nearly identical to the original recording.) Those are the main reasons I loved the first one. No one can replace Jack Lord, but they're not even trying. And Hawaii is still Hawaii. And the producers are huge fans of the original, and swear to do it justice (unlike, say, Soderbergh and much of the cast trashing the original "Ocean's 11'). I'll keep watching.

ps keep in mind, the first show debuted 42 years ago. Imagine if they remade a show in 1968 that first aired in 1926! I'm sure it would be quite different...especially since they didn't even have TV in 1926...

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-02 12:43 am   Permalink

I think all the storylines are ones that could fit right into an old 5-0 show...most of the "troublemakers" are foreigners, which was very mush like the old show.

I don't agree with the cast being replaceable....well, at least not Scott Caan.....he's doing a great job.

I wish there was a personal message from the cast about James MacArthur's passing rather than just a tribute card at the top of the show, but I'm glad they paid tribute.

I'm loving the show, and tune in every week.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 07:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-14 08:49, JackLord wrote:
Curious to see if they bring back Wo Fat, in a PC version. Probably turn him into a hot chick like they did with Kono. Yawn.
-----------------------------------------------

Paging Lucy Liu.

Actually, to make it politically correct they probably will hire a white Canadian actor to play Wo Fat, like they did with the Emperor Ming the Merciless in the Sci Fi (now SyFy) Channel's unlamented stab at reviving Flash Gordon, which I particularly resented because it made Dr. Zarkov's character into a buffoon, whereas in the Buster Crabbe serials he was depicted as being smart and every bit Flash's equal when it came to fighting Ming's minions.

My one objection to the new Five-O is that the female Kono is so skinny that the punch she threw with her stick-like arm at a guy on the beach in the opening episode shouldn't have done much more than stung his cheek, much less knocked him to the sand. I'm all in favor of having strong female characters -- but make them STRONG female characters if they are going to fight big bad guys!

Also, some folks should keep in mind that the old show could be pretty cheesy, too. Does anyone remember the awful pimp war episode starring Roosevelt Greer?

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-11-02 07:14 ]

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-02 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-02 07:13, Dr. Zarkov wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-10-14 08:49, JackLord wrote:
Curious to see if they bring back Wo Fat, in a PC version. Probably turn him into a hot chick like they did with Kono. Yawn.
-----------------------------------------------

Paging Lucy Liu.

Actually, to make it politically correct they probably will hire a white Canadian actor to play Wo Fat, like they did with the Emperor Ming the Merciless in the Sci Fi (now SyFy) Channel's unlamented stab at reviving Flash Gordon, which I particularly resented because it made Dr. Zarkov's character into a buffoon, whereas in the Buster Crabbe serials he was depicted as being smart and every bit Flash's equal when it came to fighting Ming's minions.

My one objection to the new Five-O is that the female Kono is so skinny that the punch she threw with her stick-like arm at a guy on the beach in the opening episode shouldn't have done much more than stung his cheek, much less knocked him to the sand. I'm all in favor of having strong female characters -- but make them STRONG female characters if they are going to fight big bad guys!

Also, some folks should keep in mind that the old show could be pretty cheesy, too. Does anyone remember the awful pimp war episode starring Roosevelt Greer?

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-11-02 07:14 ]

Right ? Way too much power in that punch from that string bean arm. I think she may be working our and buffing up a little bit....she looks a little more muscular in the newer episodes.

Also, if you remember correctly, A japanese villain was played by Ricardo Mantalban in the 2nd episode of season 1 of the original show...they just put some makeup on his eyes....so, that kind of thing wouldn't be foreign to the series if they did it now.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 08:29 am   Permalink

I remember Ricardo Montalban playing that guy. Good episode.

Anyway, I too am glad they payed tribute to James MacArthur. And I have revised my opinion, but only just a bit.

I still say it bears no relation to Hawaii Five-0. Whether it was the later Star Treks or the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, a remake must retain some link or echo of the original.

I just do not see that in this show. I still hold that it is more like a remake of The Untouchables (the DePalma film). The McGarret guy screams Kevin Costner. James Bond was played by 6 or 7 actors, give or take. Some were better than others with one probably being better than all. Nonetheless, you always know you are watching James Bond. Four or five decades and multiple actors has not altered the essence of the character. Can we say the same for Steve McGarret?

But....forgetting its title and judging it on its own merits without the Five-0 shadow looming, it works as a fun, over the top, comic book cop show of the 21st century. Not usually my cup of tea, but as I got rid of cable and loathe reality tv, it ironically has a shot at making my limited rotation.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-02 10:40 am   Permalink

Lets all just be thankful that Gary Busey isnít in this remake like in the 97 pilot, that would have been an instant kiss of death. Im trying not to hyper focus on the differences of the old and new. There are a few minor quirks and issues but overall Iím entertained.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-02 5:10 pm   Permalink

Mark Dacascos -- best known as the Chairman on "Iron Chef America" and as a contestant on "Dancing With the Stars" last year -- has been cast as Wo Fat, who was the long-time nemesis of McGarrett in the original series. Though the character (played by Khigh Dheigh) only appeared in 11 episodes over the original show's 12 seasons, he is remembered as the big bad of the show.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-11-02 6:43 pm   Permalink

I've said before that I'm liking it and I am but each week the online edition of Entertainment Weekly has been recapping the episodes with Hawaii Five-0' Bingo and it's pretty funny.

I liked last nights episode but it could have used much more Kelly Hu.

Mark Dacascos should be good as Wo Fat, he was good as the bad guy in the Jet Li / DMX movie Cradle 2 the Grave

Yes, I liked it.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 12:09 am   Permalink

I really enjoyed the last episode. The cast is really starting to gel. I do know that program # 8 is tiki themed.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 11:06 am   Permalink

As I said, I think the whole cast is good, just not very distinctive, though I agree Scott Caan is a standout. I'm just having troubling reconciling this new Jersey wiseass version of Danno with James MacArthur's iconic version - and this is coming FROM a Jersey wiseass. I'm also glad they're not delving too deeply into these contrived backstories (I really don't care about Danno's domestic issues) and concentrating more on good old-fashioned crime-fighting, with an international flavor, which, you're correct, is right off the old show. Best of all: the re-recorded theme song, which is very similar to the original, much better than the sped-up electrified version of the first few episodes. You can download ALL versions of the theme for FREE right here
http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/
Aloha.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-03 4:49 pm   Permalink

I'm still watching... easy to be picky about details... but mostly I'm entertained.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-05 12:04 pm   Permalink

One of the truly good guys in Hawaii / Hollywood is Jason Scott Lee, he now has a 5-0 role as Det. Kaleo http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/10/hawaii-5-0-episode-108-manao-press.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCgj7buFiHE

Here's hoping it developes into a stronger part!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 07:10 am   Permalink

Watching (and enjoying) last night's episode, I got to thinking again about the casting. It would have been kind of cool if they had really reimagined it and had Daniel Dae Kim play the McGarrett role. He has the most stoic presence.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 07:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-09 07:10, JackLord wrote:
It would have been kind of cool if they had really reimagined it and had Daniel Dae Kim play the McGarrett role.

Agreed.

So how crazy was last night's opening? Long pig, indeed!

Do you think the guests got refunds?

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-11-09 10:40 am   Permalink

This weeks bingo and he's right they spent a lot of time on the bing product placement and does anyone really use bing?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation