FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 5:40 pm   Permalink

LONG LIVE THE VENTURES!!!

I cringe to think their original tune will get bastardized in any way. I am usually open to musical interpretation, but I am being an old curmudgeon on this one. Hmph!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Vince Martini 2010-05-18 17:45 ]

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 8:14 pm   Permalink

At one time Clint Eastwood was to play McGarrett in a movie version

Quote:

On 2010-05-18 14:02, Mongoloid wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-18 12:27, JOHN-O wrote:

Hey this topic was actually started 8 years ago....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=132&forum=1&4

Kinda....8 years = deadlinks + for Movie (not television series) that never came to fruition.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-18 8:28 pm   Permalink

The Five-O theme is not a Ventures' original. The original score used in the show is composed by Morton Stevens and played by the CBS orchestra. The Ventures made a record covering the song, which sold very well. (That's NOT a criticism. They did an outstanding cover - so much that it's more often associated with them than the real original.) Also BTW, Morton Stevens appears in at least one episode.

I agree with every single point that ErichTroudt made earlier on this thread. Unless there's some unprecedented break with Hollywood's recent baffling trend of remakes-in-name-only, this will almost certainly have nothing to do with the Five-O that some of us love. A look at the cast screams out "a new take", in a way that brings us back to the question of why they're even calling it Five-O. I think a spoof would be even worse in the cloying way such things are done these days. But why not just make a unique, new, interesting crime series set in Hawaii? Someone's gotta have an original creative idea!

As a fan of the original, I'd disagree with some of the comments here. I think the youth culture in Hawaii is often presented in a sympathetic light. There are bad guys from the youth culture, but also from every other walk of life - businessmen to bums, locals to foreigners, cops to mobsters, parents to kids. It's always about the individuals who are greedy, reckless, or corrupt. And when a hippie kid is the bad guy, the show often bends over backwards to trace their corruption to parents or other figures - a much more sympathetic treatment than the ruthless business crooks typically ever get. Even the "counter culture" causes are often presented with some sympathy, to a point just short of when crime is involved.

But, yes, in some ways the characters from the original could be called caricatures. All the same, they still seem much more real to me than most characters in modern crime shows like CSI. Those are mostly caricatures of the tanned "hard body" Hollywood actor look, and they're totally unbelievable as crime lab detectives (at least, unbelievable when the WHOLE staff looks like that). Sure, McGarrett has his suits and bandanas and hair, but with all that he still seems to fit with the elements around him, which include many local actors and even Chin Ho, who was actually a real cop before.

And one more thing - tikis and such actually appear pretty regularly in the show. Every scene in the governor's office, there they are on his desk set. But lots of other scenes too, even sometimes part of the plot. Maybe we could at least hope for 2.0 to toss in a tiki now and then, although sadly I doubt I'll be watching.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 8:32 pm   Permalink

Damn, Randy, you beat me to the Ventures/Mort Stevens reply.

good one man,

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 09:13 am   Permalink

I just watched a Five-0 episode yesterday (hadn't watched since I was a kid) and was cracking up at the stilted acting! This was about a group of peacenicks who go to confront a General and one of their own gets killed. Funny how it was so obvious who the "bad guy" was from the outset! I like a mystery that makes me guess just a little bit longer than the first 10 minutes! Fun to watch - don't know about that new line-up though. Isn't that gal from the newer Battlestar Galactica?

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-18 20:28, aquarj wrote:
The Five-O theme is not a Ventures' original. The original score used in the show is composed by Morton Stevens and played by the CBS orchestra. The Ventures made a record covering the song, which sold very well. (That's NOT a criticism. They did an outstanding cover - so much that it's more often associated with them than the real original.) Also BTW, Morton Stevens appears in at least one episode.

I agree with every single point that ErichTroudt made earlier on this thread. Unless there's some unprecedented break with Hollywood's recent baffling trend of remakes-in-name-only, this will almost certainly have nothing to do with the Five-O that some of us love. A look at the cast screams out "a new take", in a way that brings us back to the question of why they're even calling it Five-O. I think a spoof would be even worse in the cloying way such things are done these days. But why not just make a unique, new, interesting crime series set in Hawaii? Someone's gotta have an original creative idea!

As a fan of the original, I'd disagree with some of the comments here. I think the youth culture in Hawaii is often presented in a sympathetic light. There are bad guys from the youth culture, but also from every other walk of life - businessmen to bums, locals to foreigners, cops to mobsters, parents to kids. It's always about the individuals who are greedy, reckless, or corrupt. And when a hippie kid is the bad guy, the show often bends over backwards to trace their corruption to parents or other figures - a much more sympathetic treatment than the ruthless business crooks typically ever get. Even the "counter culture" causes are often presented with some sympathy, to a point just short of when crime is involved.

But, yes, in some ways the characters from the original could be called caricatures. All the same, they still seem much more real to me than most characters in modern crime shows like CSI. Those are mostly caricatures of the tanned "hard body" Hollywood actor look, and they're totally unbelievable as crime lab detectives (at least, unbelievable when the WHOLE staff looks like that). Sure, McGarrett has his suits and bandanas and hair, but with all that he still seems to fit with the elements around him, which include many local actors and even Chin Ho, who was actually a real cop before.

And one more thing - tikis and such actually appear pretty regularly in the show. Every scene in the governor's office, there they are on his desk set. But lots of other scenes too, even sometimes part of the plot. Maybe we could at least hope for 2.0 to toss in a tiki now and then, although sadly I doubt I'll be watching.

-Randy

Randy - Thanks for that clarrification. I never knew. I am familiar with Mort Stevens (I won't explain that one). Anyway, I normally read my liner notes, but I never read anything on my Versatones (i.e. The Ventures) Hawaii Five-O album regarding the author of this tune being a non-Venture. I learned something new today. The point of my message: I dig the integrity of the original score and I would hate to see someone do some modern variation of this tune.

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 12:49 pm   Permalink

<<But, yes, in some ways the characters from the original could be called caricatures. All the same, they still seem much more real to me than most characters in modern crime shows like CSI.>>

Agreed. I love the original and am slowly gathering the entire series on DVD.

In a way, the cops are all portrayed as they are in Dragnet- stoic, fearless, all-business, and uncorruptible. The department is a smooth machine that methodically gets the perp with little, if any, infighting, self-doubt, violations, or major mistakes. All the while, the rest of society is flawed, clueless, and in perpetual need of fatherly guidance. It probably was not until Police Story that cops started to be shown as more human.

Anyway, the show was an over the top classic. Great plots and supporting characters.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-19 1:23 pm   Permalink

One of the elements I enjoyed about H-50 was the Spy episodes with Wo Fat & CIA stories
which started the show and was peppered threw out the series.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-19 10:44 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGJvNisksI

CBS "Hawaii Five-0" Fall 2010 Behind The Scenes Preview

[ This Message was edited by: TraderJohn 2010-05-19 22:45 ]

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 12:19 am   Permalink

Opening Credits & Theme song for the new "Hawaii 5-0"

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=86684592001

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-05-20 14:09 ]

Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 05:41 am   Permalink

I'll give this show a try. I hope it's good. If not, I hope there's a lot of bikini scenes.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 10:53 am   Permalink

You know, the last time I was in Hawaii I saw all KINDS of hard crime like that! LOL Yeah, it's just for fun and it looks cute - I'll give it a shot.

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 2:52 pm   Permalink

The VENTURES recording of Mort Stevens Theme from Hawaii Five O was a big factor in pushing up the ratings for the TV show & was a 2nd coming for the group in record sales/interest. It remains along with Walk Don't Run their two most famous single recordings. At the time the group was Don Wilson, Bob Bogle, Jerry McGee & Mel Taylor (Nokie Edwards had left the group for a period)

Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 10:53, beadtiki wrote:
You know, the last time I was in Hawaii I saw all KINDS of hard crime like that! LOL Yeah, it's just for fun and it looks cute - I'll give it a shot.

I used to live on Oahu (Waikiki), and i had a neighbor who lived across the hall in my building who was in her mid 50's, i would categorize her as going through some type of mid-life crisis, now a days maybe she would be called a "cougar". Anyways she always had teenagers at her place, probably smoking da pakalolo, but i just thought whatevahs to each is own. She went on vacation a couple of times and asked me to grab her paper that was delivered in front of her door and like a good neighbor i said no problem. So months later i went and rented a movie one Sunday evening and upon returning to my building i encountered two of my neighbors friends who i had talked to before that seemed like solid people and they were asking if i had seen or talked to my neighbor. I said no but now that you mention it she has a few papers in front of her door did she go on vacation. They said no. Huh that's weird.
I lived in a pretty secure building where you needed a key to get into the lobby and a key once you were in the elevator to get to your floor, so they asked if i would give them a lift up to check on her. I said ya no problem. So we got to our floor and we were walking down the long hall towards her place and her friend jokingly (in bad taste) said she's dead i can smell her. I kinda muttered something like ah that's messed up. So we get to her door and knocked and there's no answer, her friend turns the knob on the door and its unlocked. We all kind of paused and looked at each other before opening it. When he does open the door the place is completely ransacked. The t.v. was on mute her cats were hissing at us and we smelled something foul. I had a sick feeling in my stomach and her friend said come in with me. I'm kinda frozen, buggin out a little and he walks towards her bedroom and I'm taking these baby steps toward him and he just turns around and says lets get out of here shes dead! What what??? She was under a pile of clothes. We call the police and like an episode of Hawaii 5-0 they come and use my apartment as their head quarters for the investigation. We see big flashes from in her apartment as they take pictures and comb the crime scene. News stations were calling my apartment asking what was going on up there and i would just hang up on them. Well it turns out one of her teenager friends robbed her and stabbed her to death with a steak knife. They even recovered the knife in the Ala Wai, and convicted the 17 year old as an adult. It happened on a Friday night and we discovered her on that Sunday. Some of my buddies and myself were home that Friday night drinking some Primos and playing cards, with the music going and we didn't hear anything. I'm talking like 30 feet from where the murder occurred. So ya there is sometimes trouble in paradise, ive witnessed that first hand. Hope i didn't derail to much but Hawaii has plenty of stories like this to make episodes about!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 5:43 pm   Permalink

Mongoloid that is a hell of story .I am sure that image will stick with you forever.
Saw this on Yahoo.Based on the several names of the actors being used, I believe
it's already been miss casted.We all know nothing can ever replace the original or
Jack Lord .I believe this is just another sign that Hollywood has run out of new ideas.
Aloha -Trader Bill

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/first-look-cbs-reboots-hawaii-fiveo--1259

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2010-05-22 00:26 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation