FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 11:23 pm   Permalink

Mongoloid - how horrible for you! That kind of thing is one of my worst nightmares. Sorry you had to witness that.

I realize paradise is not always "paradise" but regarding the NEW Five-0 I was just snickering about all the big guns and explosions (not including the volcano!) As I recall of the OLD Five-0 it was all pretty down-to-earth stuff; guns, car chases, smuggling, etc. - more like what's really going on out there (outside of the Mexican border territories).

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-21 11:32 am   Permalink

I took a look at the article on Yahoo ("CBS Reboots Hawaii 5-0"). While I like the *video* montage of the new opening sequence (although the split-second shifting from scene to scene gives me a bit of a headache) the music needs to be drastically changed. I've heard the Hawaii 5-0 theme performed live, and I can tell you that it was not heavy on the guitar. Yes, the Ventures have their version and I'm not knocking it at all, but what I heard emphasized keyboards, horns and drums. It was so good, it gave me goosebumps. To me, this new sequence sounds like a teenage wannabe messing with a guitar in his family's garage.

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-21 1:34 pm   Permalink

UGH...Good GOD is that music A W F U L !!!!

man, Let me get my hands on this !

Maybe I'll do a version it just to do it. This one is just bad.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-21 13:34, tikiyaki wrote:
UGH...Good GOD is that music A W F U L !!!!

man, Let me get my hands on this !

Maybe I'll do a version it just to do it. This one is just bad.

If ever a song needed a Jim Bacchi makeover, THAT would be it! They just totally butchered it.

Note to Hollywood: There are OTHER musicans out there besides some of the hacks you are hiring!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-05-21 5:19 pm   Permalink

it does have a very old 90210 theme sound to it doesn't it?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-21 5:26 pm   Permalink

The music is bad - but the COMPLETELY out-of-place terminator meets BSG/Mission Impossible computer display nonsense graphics are what really kill me. Ick! What is that stuff doing there?

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 6:27 pm   Permalink

From a previous post -
Opening Credits & Theme song for the new "Hawaii 5-0"

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=86684592001

Some people don't get it the way "we" do. The look of this piece is similar to a piece I made about 10 years ago for snowboarding - Graphics wise - I'll try to post it on you tube asap and post link here.

link - (about 2 mins in) audio had to change due to youtube restrictions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluFboW2T7U

I'm still interested to see how long the show lasts...

[ This Message was edited by: sneakyjack 2010-05-22 11:11 ]

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-21 7:02 pm   Permalink

Wow Mongoloid that is scary!!! Maybe they can simulate your experience in an episode. :-0

I am not betting any clams on the remake...might just be another Baywatch...in which case there will be bikinis...and maybe some surfers.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 1:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-21 19:02, VampiressRN wrote:
Wow Mongoloid that is scary!!! Maybe they can simulate your experience in an episode. :-0

I am not betting any clams on the remake...might just be another Baywatch...in which case there will be bikinis...and maybe some surfers.

Don't forget the car chases and explosions! The absolute recipe for today's television - girls, guns and cars (chases or blowing up) - throw in a "regular" looking gal and/or guy just to be PC and then copy every tv show that's come before it.

Why can't TV and movies come up with something ORIGINAL? Are Americans so brain-dead these days that Hollywood, et al believe we'll just accept it? Since I got rid of my cable and have been reduced to "regular" tv I realized I wasn't missing ANYthing and now if I want to watch a leave-your-brain-at-the-door show I just watch it on-line. I am, however, being "forced" to watch the ENTIRE Babylon 5 series AGAIN due to lack of entertainment (that being my husband flicking through all the channels KNOWING there's nothing on) and his fanatic love of the show. I hope those damn tapes wear out soon!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitonga
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 08:59 am   Permalink

Personally, I'll watch anything that features Hawaii. Hell, the wife and I sat through "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" last week just to get a look at Waikiki circa 1961. I think some folks may be too hard on the show based on the music and casting. Hollywood is about profit, not (unfortunately)about satisfying hardcore tikiphiles. Tinsel Town almost always follows the example of previous successes. In this case that's "24" and "CSI". So, yeah, we're going to see a lot of high tech and action....it goes with the territory. The upside is they are shooting on location and might even feature some of the revered tiki watering holes discussed in these forums.....which can only help keep their doors open, which is a good thing.

Also, as anyone who has been to Oahu can attest, the Hawaii of Jack Lord's era is not the Hawaii of today. Waikiki is turning into the Rodeo Drive of the Polynesian. The slow paced vibe of the original just wouldn't work anymore. And lastly, any show that features Grace Parks in a bikini kicking arse get's 2 thumbs up from me. When it's time for the premiere, I plan on making a couple of Mai Tais, BBQ up some ribs and enjoy the show......including the bad music and cheese factor!

View Profile of tikitonga Send a personal message to tikitonga  Email tikitonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donnabeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:01 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:27 ]

View Profile of Donnabeach Send a personal message to Donnabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-21 17:19, Bora Boris wrote:
it does have a very old 90210 theme sound to it doesn't it?

Totally! I was thinking the same thing!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:30 pm   Permalink

It will be up against "Human Target" and GROG like that show.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 8:33 pm   Permalink

Well it has been said over and over...we pay a ridiculous amount of money to watch krap on TV. I too watch shows sometimes just for the tropical ambiance...not because it is a good show. Here are some of my favorites...I missed a lot in the 60s though as my parents only got about 6 channels. I can still watch these shows over and over today.

BACKDROPS
~San Diego = remember Silk Stalkings with Rob Estes & Mitzi Kapture, it went downhill after those two left, but loved trying to identify the locations, since that is my home town...the show was pretty good early on.
~San Diego = then there was yummy Lorenzo Lamas in Renegade who was better to look at than the scenery, but they did capture a lot of the east county in this show.
~Simon & Simon = where was their house...Pacific or Mission Beach...or?
~Florida = the infamous Miami Vice...some eye-candy for the girls again and my favorite episode was with Ted Nugent...but the beach scenes with the boat chases and that aqua water and the palms waving in the wind...sigh...great cars too.
~Florida = CSI Miami...I hate David Caruso but the rest of the cast was OK...but great houses and beautiful shots of Miami and the water.
~Florida = Flipper...well really, who wouldn't want a dolphin as a friend.
~Hawaii = well of course 5.0...just beautiful scenery all over the island.
~Hawaii = Magnum PI...I never cared for Tom Selleck early on, but eventually liked the show...great car and I always wished I had the ability to walk out my backyard and take a nice little swim in a Hawaiian cove.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
molo

Posted: 2010-06-01 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-18 20:28, aquarj wrote:
The Five-O theme is not a Ventures' original. The original score used in the show is composed by Morton Stevens and played by the CBS orchestra. The Ventures made a record covering the song, which sold very well. (That's NOT a criticism. They did an outstanding cover - so much that it's more often associated with them than the real original.)

The Ventures cover, which followed on the heels of the Mort Stevens' original, also played a big part in the early success of the show. It was their recording that caught the attention of the public at large when it hit the airwaves, which helped increase awareness of the new series (which was having trouble competing head to head with the popular comedy show 'Rowin & Martin's Laugh-In' at that time). So it could be stated that both helped each other instrumentally.

Quote:

On 2010-05-20 14:52, Thortiki wrote:
The VENTURES recording of Mort Stevens Theme from Hawaii Five O was a big factor in pushing up the ratings for the TV show & was a 2nd coming for the group in record sales/interest. It remains along with Walk Don't Run their two most famous single recordings. At the time the group was Don Wilson, Bob Bogle, Jerry McGee & Mel Taylor (Nokie Edwards had left the group for a period)

Exactly right, with one exception. When the Ventures recorded their take of 'Hawaii Five-O' in the spring of 1968, Gerry McGee had yet to join the band. So the debate rages on: Either sessions ace Tommy Tedesco performed the lead lick, or Nokie Edwards - or both (via overdub)! As things stand, both have laid their claims. The group's record label didn't release this single until after the TV series had launched later in the year, which came in September of '68. For that reason, it didn't peak on the charts until roughly a year after it was recorded.

Now if you can come up with a definitive source that pinpoints without question who the true lead axe was for that single, I'd love to see it. As it is, much of the confusion stems from the fact that Nokie Edwards departed the band shortly after the song was recorded. By then the Ventures were on a long but steady decline in popularity in the States. It doesn't help matters that their Hawaii Five-O LP, which the band recorded more than a half year later and released in the spring of 1969, featured Gerry McGee on lead guitar on all but the title tack (the hit single, as recorded the previous spring but currently riding on the charts).

In any case, I don't believe you will find GM claiming to have played on the Venture's HF-O hit (studio) single anywhere, the same track that reprises on their subsequent HF-O album.

[ This Message was edited by: molo 2010-06-01 18:20 ]

View Profile of molo Send a personal message to molo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation