FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Hawaii Five-O 2.0
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 7:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-23 20:33, VampiressRN wrote:
Well it has been said over and over...we pay a ridiculous amount of money to watch krap on TV. I too watch shows sometimes just for the tropical ambiance...not because it is a good show. Here are some of my favorites...I missed a lot in the 60s though as my parents only got about 6 channels. I can still watch these shows over and over today.

BACKDROPS

~Florida = CSI Miami...I hate David Caruso but the rest of the cast was OK...but great houses and beautiful shots of Miami and the water.

Hate to break it to ya, Vamp, but my beloved hometown of Long Beach, CA fills in for Miami on that particular show. It is quite beautiful though isn't it?

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-01 7:54 pm   Permalink

Jason,I always get a laugh when I see the Bird Sanctuary just north of Don the Beachcomber's as a stand in for the Florida swamps.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 07:34 am   Permalink

Dexters another show they film in Long Beach faking out the viewers like its Florida. Im on to their trickery. They will show an aerial shot from a helicopter of actual Florida scenery, to condition your brain to think thats the location of the show, then next thing you know they are at Alfredo's off Shoreline where the Long Beach Grand Prix happens. No gators over there! Smoke and mirrors!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 12:57 pm   Permalink

In the same vein - Vancouver BC is the setting for almost EVERY "Seattle" based location! Sometimes they don't even try to hide that they're in BC - what's that tower up there? Always a bad stand-in for the Space Noodle!

I'm in the process of turning my living room into a Hawaiian oasis since I can't get there in person these days - another poor "stand-in" for the real thing but I can dream! The attached dining room in the back half is my Tiki Bar and thought it would be appropriate to call my home the Mullet House - Business in the front - party in the back!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 01:15 am   Permalink

New 4 minute trailer,this will give you a taste of the shows tone & characters.

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=89563714001

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JackLord
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-03 01:15, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
New 4 minute trailer,this will give you a taste of the shows tone & characters.

http://video.hollywoodreporter.com/services/player/bcpid6555681001?bctid=89563714001

Thanks for the warning...

Its like a 21st century spoof of the original.

View Profile of JackLord Send a personal message to JackLord      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 12:56 pm   Permalink

Wow! I actually think it looks pretty good.

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-03 1:16 pm   Permalink

Well,

The characters are nothing like the originals.
Of course, they made Dan-o and McGarrett HATE each other, so the tension will be more "interesting". (A La Stasky and Hutch, the movie version, which I DID enjoy) So, "gee, let's make them hate each other, but be stuck with each other....THAT would be different"...not.
Chin Ho, is , of course, younger, thinner and better looking, and they replaced Kono with a hot chick...
Predictable on all counts.
BUT, the guy playing Dan-O is funny, and they're giving Dan-O a more wisecracking, sarcastic makeover, which might be ok.

Unfortunately, the colorful clothing will be missing, as well as the great PolyPop bars and restaurants they used to bust people in...it will be a far less fun show to watch.
Still, I'll watch it, if nothing more than for the shots of Hawaii.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donnabeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-11 11:13 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:31 ]

View Profile of Donnabeach Send a personal message to Donnabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
molo

Posted: 2010-06-11 3:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-11 11:13, Donnabeach wrote:
The Ventures cover of the original Five-0 theme might have done alot for the Ventures, but it was moving the show to a later time slot that ultimately improved its ratings. Remember, it was a gritty cop show at that time and not necessarily family friendly viewing.

No doubt this helped instrumentally to boot, but it was the producer of the show, Leonard Freeman, who is on record as saying: "The value of a great one minute theme to any television series is inestimable." He had come to recognize this basic tenet when he did his prior show Route 66 with its memorable 'Get Your Kicks..' opening theme. Being that Freeman was aware of Morton Stevens' talent in this field, he contacted him to create a little musical magic, both to grab viewers' attention and set a fitting prelude for the show.

We know the end of the story - many call it THE most recognizable television theme ever produced.

View Profile of molo Send a personal message to molo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donnabeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-11 3:52 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:35 ]

View Profile of Donnabeach Send a personal message to Donnabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
molo

Posted: 2010-06-11 4:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-11 15:52, Donnabeach wrote:
Correct Molo. There were alot of elements that made the show popular and the Mort Stevens theme was certainly one of the biggns'. But to say the Ventures cover played a big part in the early success of the show is a bit of a stretch. And I am a Ventures fan too.

Oh but it did, and you're selling their impact on the show short. I lived on the isles at that time and can recall the kind of airplay the Ventures received by way of it [shades of what the Rascals experienced with "My Hawaii" around that same time, to the point of it becoming a chart topping hit on the islands]. As the story goes, CBS started running radio promos but without any background music. Then a Hawaiian radio DJ decided to use The Ventures' recording behind the ads. In no time, listeners began calling the station to find out who was playing the Five-0 theme they were hearing, which in turn started the wheels rolling for it to ultimately climb to #4 on the singles charts -nationwide- by April 1969.

This is over and beyond what the Mort Stevens' theme was contributing by way of weekly impact. It goes without saying the two remain in many ways inextricably linked (or more accurately, hopelessly intertwined). To this day many consider the two to be one, and even fewer know the exact differentiation.

With that said, I don't doubt that repositioning the show had an impact every bit as great. Competing against Rowan & Martin would have been rough at the time, since that show had already caught on.

Edit PS. I should clarify from earlier that Freeman wrote episodes for Route 66, but just prior to Hawaii Five-0 produced Hang "em High starring Clint Eastwood, which included a memorable theme by Dominic Frontiere. Freeman was also a producer for The Untouchables TV series during the early 60's, with theme music performed by bandleader Nelson Riddle.

[ This Message was edited by: molo 2010-06-11 16:57 ]

View Profile of molo Send a personal message to molo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donnabeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-11 10:36 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Donnabeach 2010-07-03 12:35 ]

molo

Posted: 2010-06-12 7:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-11 22:36, Donnabeach wrote:
You are giving the theme far more credit, than the cast, Jack Lord's impact, the edgy script writing dealing with topics of the day, etc, etc.

No, I'm giving it its due, nothing more, nothing less. And that opening theme had impact. In spades.

What I think you're losing sight of is what exactly I'm referring to: what impacted and contributed toward the show's gaining a wider base early on, not what made the show outright (in all its splendid glory). It seems to me you're reading too much into what I'm stating. The things you've pointed to, likewise those which I have, are not mutually exclusive or negating. Where we differ comes down to the degree of impact of the opening theme (per Mort Stevens, with The Ventures pulling up the rear), not the gamut of variables involved -- of which there were many, all lending towards the show's ultimate success.

Quote:

It was surveyed back in the day that when folks had finally put the kids to bed, they could wind down and watch five-0 because of it's new later time slot and that's truly when it took off. Timing is everything, and even an awesome theme can't save you from that. Aloha

That's every bit as simplistic a notion as the one you're dismissing re the theme prelude. I was still young back when the show first aired, and my parents didn't feel the need to scoot me off to bed. Besides, not every American household is laden with impressionable youngins. Beyond that, the show always ran in prime time hours between 8PM and 10 PM, depending on area and era. H5-0 was neither R or X rated. Gritty and sometimes edgy, sure. But it could meander towards the cornballish too, in sometimes equal parts (predicative on the script of course, and more so as time went on).

In any case, its early viewing adoption did not hinge around a simple time slot adjustment alone imo, a la moving up to a later night position (though I agree it helped). Timing may count, but that alone cannot account for everything. No more than I would say the opening theme sequence, and subsequent chart action by the Ventures, accounts for the show's early success alone -- only that it created a big and - uh hum - well timed splash. [er, ok, maybe you have a point about timing after all ]

molo

Posted: 2010-06-12 9:51 pm   Permalink

Hey I forget to add that if you guys want a real hoot, check out the Venture's Beethoven Five-Oh! from their album Wild Again: The Ventures Play Heavy Hitters released circa 1996. Here they return full force to what they do best -- that classic signature sound of driving guitars and pounding drums. Lead licks are shared by Gerry McGee and the late great Bob Bogle. There's also some real foot-tappers in Quicksilver (William Tell Overture), The James Bond Theme and their spiff Rock Concerto In A Minor. Bonus tracks focus on their surf-n-sea side, including a selection of live takes. It's all good.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation