FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Need hi resolution photo of Easter Island moais as seen from a distance for a rain effect window
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Need hi resolution photo of Easter Island moais as seen from a distance for a rain effect window
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 08:23 am   Permalink

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/hsh/804011134.html

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 4:48 pm   Permalink

So I'm waiting on quotes for getting an image printed directly onto a sheet of plastic, like what is used in signs and displays in stores, and also waiting on a quote for having the image printed onto a large sheet of vinyl that I could apply to a sheet of plastic. I should have an idea on pricing within the next few days or a week or so. I'm still hunting around for an image, although I think I've narrowed it down to two or so. Stay tuned for more details.

Oh, in the mean time, any and all tips on building a large 94 inch wide by 34 inch tall light box are more than appreciated!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 5:15 pm   Permalink

Generally, printing directly to your acrylic will be more expensive as the printer (machine) required (Large Format Flatbed) costs about double to buy so the equipment cost is passed down to the customer, also if they f*#k up the print (which happens a lot) they have to cover the cost of more acrylic sheet. I have made 1000's of signs including backlit and never printed directly to the subsrate.

Also might be worth checking sign shops for surplus/un-paid for lightboxes, they can easily modify one to your size if they have one that's close.

just a lil FYI
Cheers
Tiki Trav

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 5:24 pm   Permalink

i can get acrylic printed for $9.5-10 sq. ft. here. i'm in pretty tight with the company that has the machine. it's a high resolution flat bed printer that prints UV ink directly on almost any rigid substrate.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 5:30 pm   Permalink

bargain! that's super cheap...

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 5:38 pm   Permalink

Are you gonna use real rain? How do you get the rain clouds to stay in the right spot?

Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 5:44 pm   Permalink

That is a good price, Perry! Remarkably, I think the preliminary rough quote that I got for printing directly onto the sheet of acrylic was approximately $10 a square foot as well, or roughly $200 bucks. The size of the sign that I need is maximum 94 inches by 34 inches, so that should be approximately 22 sq ft, or roughly $200. They are looking into getting the price down further.

Thanks for the info, guys. Yeah, I have someone that is giving me a Bro' hookup on this deal, so they are checking into the prices, especially printing onto the acrylic sheet. They had no idea what the cost was on printing onto the vinyl sheet as well, so I'm curious to see what the price difference will be.

I'll check into a light box from a sign shop, that is a great idea. But I have no problem assembling one out of wood, it shouldn't be that difficult. I just have to make sure that I can easily remove the plastic backlit sheet with the image on it, so I can change out the light bulbs when they eventually burn out.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 6:01 pm   Permalink

I wasn't going to use real rain. I had planned on doing this similar to how Disneyland did theirs for their Enchanted Tiki Room. They use strips of clear mylar, and when the "rain storm" approaches, with the rain sound and thunder, they use a fan to blow wind onto the clear mylar strips, to blow them around. It makes for a pretty good effect.

I uderstand that the Enchanted Tiki Room in Walt Disney World in Orlando actually uses real water for rain in their windows. I don't think I could pull that off, and would also be concerned about it leaking long term.

I'll have a strobe light in the light box, and it will be synced to the thunder claps - whenever there is a thunder clap, the strobe will go off. Tiki Hula did something like this in his Kapili Room, and it worked out really well.

As for the clouds, I figured that just a general darkening of the backlighting of the image would suffice for when the clouds roll over. I guess if I wanted to get really fancy, I could have another image of the Easter Island pic, but have someone photo shop it to make it look all coudy and dark and stormy. That image could be placed an inch or two behind the other image, and it could be backlit to make the general overall image look stormy. I don't know if that would work, but I don't have the money to experiment with that for right now.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-08-27 6:32 pm   Permalink

This is a great project. Just be sure that you absolutely love whatever image you choose. The Moai image looks great but for me, the lack of lush vegetation would be a no go. If I look out a window, I'd want to see a tropical jungle opening up to a beach. Maybe a distant volcano across the bay emanating a red/orange glow which gets brighter during the rain sequence. But again, that's just me. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-08-27 7:16 pm   Permalink

Maybe I would have more faith in the project if you were at least able to fix the photo in your signature.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 8:46 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=24608&forum=2

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-27 9:12 pm   Permalink

Ok Mr Boo... so how did YOU do it?

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-28 12:54 am   Permalink

Hi Mai Tai, I'm planning to do a fake window with mural and diorama and have been looking at these two companies. Maybe you can find something there that works for you too.

http://www.muralsuperstore.com/tropical_murals1.htm

http://www.muralsyourway.com/myw4-cropping.cfm?pid=MMPIPI1088&opt=48&col=y&flp=n

Hope this helps.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-28 01:03 am   Permalink

I don't want to speak for Ben, but I did see Mark Walsh's office right after Ben finished some major work on it, and it totally rocks! It's amazing! Since Mark Walsh's office walls are basically deluxe pre-fab cube walls that go floor to ceiling, Ben couldn't cut into them to put in a window box or other stuff without it protuding through into the next office. So he had to build a false wall in front of that pre-fab cube wall, and place the rain window box effect into that. Pretty cool idea, I must say, and you can't even tell that false walls were put in when you are in Mark's office.

If I remember correctly, Ben used the clear mylar strips to simulate the rain, just like in Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room. In fact, I believe he pretty much built the windows in the exact same fashion as the ones in the ETR. No details on exactly how he built the window box - he'll have to tell us that himself. And I don't think that there's a background image in Mark's "windows" like what I want to do.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-28 01:29 am   Permalink

i don't know shit. don't worry.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation