FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Zulu Magoo's Tiki Tour of Southern California (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Zulu Magoo's Tiki Tour of Southern California (Image Heavy)
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-01 1:27 pm   Permalink

Great work Kate,
that really is quite an accomplishment being that you live a good ways away from LA area.
and the Suadi gas Moguls thank you.

I really need to take my digital camera with me all the time, while driving around for work or play.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-09-01 6:55 pm   Permalink

Wow - Great collection of pics Kate! I was born and raised in So Cal until I moved off to Maui about 19 yrs ago.. I remember a couple of those apt buildings from back in the day(Tahitian Village and Kona Pali in the valley), I really wasn't much into collecting tiki then but really admired it all.. One of the reason's I moved to the islands I guess...
Mahalo's

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-01 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-01 06:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
This post is a call to all (specially L.A. area) Tikiphiles: Do not just be Tiki CONSUMERS, be urban EXPLORERS, find and visit these places and the remnants yourselves, they are still out there. Just the other day Boris and Kate took me to a mysterious site (any progress on that?).....But for how long...just because some of these are documented in my books does not mean they are protected, they are vanishing more and more. Go while you can!

BigBro, please see this post.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29671&forum=1&0

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 07:14 am   Permalink

"Does anybody have the list of places for San Diego?"

I did a San Diego Tiki Club Guidebook in 2006, there are something like 63 entries, but about 1/3 of the places are gone now. (In two years!) It lists not just Tiki places, but nautical, Hawaiian and Polynesian locales too. I think you can still get a copy at "Bamboo Source" in Oceanside fer 5 clams. Kate has one.

Otherwise, I don't get the point of Kate's thread. Kate, you don't give addresses for these so its kind of hard to use as a tour for yourself, there's only a few photos of each (and you've done a great job at shooting tons of photos of a single place, which is way more informative). These places are already documented, they're from a guidebook that is published and admittedly sparse. And you don't give any helpful hints on visiting them or how accessable they all are. And I still don't get if this is a conglomeration of past visits, then recent ones, then back to old ones, etc.

And surely you saw some other Tiki stuff along the way? I bump into Tiki Apartments everywhere.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 07:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-02 07:14, Cammo wrote:
And surely you saw some other Tiki stuff along the way? I bump into Tiki Apartments everywhere.

Why dontcha post some nice photos of them, then? That's what Tiki Central is good for. Everything else is just theory and allegation. I cannot repeat it often enough: Tiki is a visual medium, and every picture speaks a thousand words.

Kate's photos are meant to inspire, to move others to investigate and find these places by themselves. I did not publish any addresses and place names with my images in the Book of Tiki, and I think it worked pretty well that way.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 07:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

BigBro, please see this post.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29671&forum=1&0

What a bummer! That was the famous "urban archeology" example Tiki in the opening pages of the BOT, from which Jeff Berry's hands are parting the foliage to reveal its eyeball!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-02 07:53 am   Permalink

Yea. tell me about. I was PISSED when I drove by expecting to see it, and.... Nothing.

Now I want to know who has it.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tonmawrtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-05 3:06 pm   Permalink

Wow it always find it amazing that these places are still in the USA and apartments like those Kate found are still in existence and lived in; I'm very envious.

I suppose its ironic that I envy Kate being an hour away from Tiki Apartments but always shock my head at the American tourists swarming around the Castle's close to where I lived. I spent my youth playing around one Castle "Castle Coch" in South Wales and did rather more mature things in the grounds of Caerphilly Castle.

But I have several burning desires in relation to Tiki and one ambition / obsession is to build an A frame and hope to fulfil this when I can find some realistic dimentions to make a smaller version (any help guys)

The USA has some great history and its a shame this important part of it gets swamped in commercial interest and lack of knowledge but a big thanks to you guys that make the effort to record or preserve it.

I applaud youre efforts keep up the good work your photos mean alot to me I cant drive past this on my way home or take an hours trip to take a photo so enjoy it while its still there and fight hard to keep it if you can.

View Profile of tonmawrtiki Send a personal message to tonmawrtiki  Email tonmawrtiki Goto the website of tonmawrtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-07 7:11 pm   Permalink

Kate -- GREAT WORK! Thanks so much for sharing these with us. Now I'm itching for a roadtrip!!!

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation