FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Kai - Favorite Drink?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Mai Kai - Favorite Drink?
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 06:41 am   Permalink

Quote:
...and let the chips fall where they may.

I'll be under the bar, of course.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NALANI at the MAI KAI

Posted: 2008-09-14 09:53 am   Permalink

CHOCOLATE SNOWFLAKE with EXTRA COFFEE and A SCOOP OF CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM. I WISH they would let me have it in a Mystery Bowl!!!! I ask Troy the Bartender all the time and he just looks at me like I'm crazy, but he does give me the extra ice cream, SOMETIMES!

View Profile of NALANI at the MAI KAI Send a personal message to NALANI at the MAI KAI      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stiffanbond

Posted: 2010-05-12 04:42 am   Permalink

My favorite drinks are;

1. Beer
2. Ice Coffee
3. Apple Juice
4. Ice tea

[ This Message was edited by: stiffanbond 2010-05-12 04:44 ]

View Profile of stiffanbond Send a personal message to stiffanbond  Email stiffanbond     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 12:17 pm   Permalink

I like it when old threads are brought back to life...
I've never seen this one and am looking forward to adding to it after Hukilau '10.
Me and the missus plan on going to the Mai Kai a couple times while we are there.

Hurricane Hayward any changes to your list and did you ever give that Grandfathers Barrel a try?

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 2:50 pm   Permalink

I like it when old threads are brought back to life too, but brought back for a reason. The hit-and-run poster who resurrected this thread did so only to get a reaction. Won't get one from me, but... now I have a craving for a Jet Pilot.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 6:22 pm   Permalink

Favorite?

Simple.

Page 3.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 8:13 pm   Permalink

I'm just going to have water when I venture into the Hukilau. Yes, those are monkeys flying out of my butt, too!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
F-Troop Mom
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-13 1:46 pm   Permalink

I've only tried about 4 or 5 menu drinks so far....foolish me used to order standard whiskey highballs when I went there years ago. To date I like the Barrel O' Rum and Shrunken Skull but am looking forward to trying the Jet Pilot. Too bad you can't order the Mystery Drink in a smaller version, that is one darn tasty cocktail!

[ This Message was edited by: F-Troop Mom 2010-05-13 13:47 ]

View Profile of F-Troop Mom Send a personal message to F-Troop Mom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-08 12:20 am   Permalink

Wow, I was pondering how to resurrect this thread in time for Hukilau 2010 and, voila!

As a matter of fact, Beach Bum Scott, I've been hard at work fine-tuning my list of drinks and have actually completed my journey through everything on the menu (save the non-alcoholic ones). Finally had the Mystery Drink in March at my pre-wedding party (see below). I'm not sure the Grandfather Barrel is available anymore, however. I was told by reliable sources that the rum blend that made it special was no longer available.

So without further adieu, here are my revised rankings. Of course, personal tastes will vary but you can't go wrong with any of the top 25.

>>>>> Hurricane Hayward's Mai-Kai drink rankings

(as of June 8, 2010)

1 - Zombie (strong)
2 - Shark Bite (medium)
3 - 151 Swizzle (strong)
4 - Special Planters Punch (strong)
5 - Barrel O' Rum (strong)
6 - Sidewinder's Fang (strong), Mystery Drink (tie)
7 - Jet Pilot (strong)
8- Rum Julep (medium)
9 - Yeoman's Grog (strong)
10 - Hidden Pearl (medium)
11 - Cobra Kiss (medium)
12 - Shrunken Skull (strong)
13 - Mutiny (strong)
14 - The Hukilau (strong)
15 - Mai-Tai (strong)
16 - Pina Passion (medium)
17 - Samoan Grog (mild)
18 - Zula (strong)
19 - K.O. Cooler (strong)
20 - Special Reserve Daiquiri (medium)
21 - Black Magic (strong)
22 - Mara-Amu (medium)
23 - S.O.S. (mild)
24 - Chocolate Snowflake, Mai-Kai Blizzard (tie) (after dinner)
25 - Moonkist Coconut (medium)
26 - Deep-Sea Diver (medium)
27 - Hot Buttered Rum, Kona Coffee Grog (tie) (after dinner)
28 - Tahitian Breeze (medium)
29 - Oh So Deadly (mild)
30 - Bora Bora (strong)
31 - Pina Colada (medium)
32 - Malayan Mist (mild)
33 - Mai-Kai Special (mild)
34 - Mai-Kai Swizzle (mild)
35 - Floridita Daiquiri (mild)
36 - Derby Daiquiri (mild)
37 - Gardenia Lei (after dinner)
38 - Planters Punch (medium)
39 - Strawberry or Banana Daiquiri (mild)
40 - Martinique Milk Punch (mild)
41 - Tahitian Coffee (after dinner)
42 - Wahine Delight, Cappuccino (tie) (after dinner)

I think I'll stick with this lineup since it's remained pretty stable for quite some time now after revisiting many of these creations multiple times.

My next project: After sampling just about everything I've consumed, my wife is giving me her picks. A female perspective, if you will. Right now her faves are the
Mutiny, Hukilau and Zula.

We hope to see everyone at Hukilau later this week!

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Rick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-06-08 07:09 am   Permalink

The Cobra's Kiss is still my favorite. I've tried sips of other people's drinks at my table and have yet to drink anything finer. Of course their Barrel O'Rum is good too when you need to "catch up"(like from 0-60 in 10 seconds)! Whew!

View Profile of Trader Rick Send a personal message to Trader Rick  Email Trader Rick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-08 07:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-08 00:20, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
35 - Floridita Daiquiri (mild)
36 - Derby Daiquiri (mild)

Heathen!

How can you rank the Derby Daiquiri so low on your list? It is a Mai Kai Original and very tasty!

I know, its on Page 1 putting it in the mild category, but taste wins out over potency any day.....

What, you don't like Orange? Try the Floridita! Its made with Grapefruit and is a refreshing course between stronger drinks.

A nice evening at the Mai Kai is one Strong Drink (Jet Pilot for me please) followed by a Floridita, followed by a Strong Drink, followed by several Daiquiri's of either flavor. I get to my Happy Place and can maintain while still staying at or below the legal limit so I can drive home.

Of course, you mileage may vary.

And the beauty of your particular Molokai Maiden may effect the perception of your drinks too.

leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-08 08:14 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-06-08 07:19, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

A nice evening at the Mai Kai is one Strong Drink (Jet Pilot for me please) followed by a Floridita, followed by a Strong Drink, followed by several Daiquiri's of either flavor.

Thanks Dr. Chip - this is certainly a prescription I can follow...and repeat.

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 12:21 am   Permalink

Points well taken, Chip. Now, if we're going to discuss how to mix and match different cocktails, that discussion could be endless. I would certainly not stack too many of the strong ones on top of each other.

My rankings just give more weight to those cocktails that, in my opinion, are one-of-a-kind classics that really knock my socks off. I'm afraid the daiquiris just don't do that. They do have their place, obviously. Most conspicuously at the corner table at the Molokai Lounge ;>)

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 05:30 am   Permalink

Hey, maybe there's another thread for this, but who will be at the Molokai Bar tonight?

If all goes according to plan, Birdgirl and I land around 7 and hope to have a cocktail in hand by 8.

I'll be easy to spot - just look for the heavy, middle-aged white guy with the aloha shirt...wait a minute...

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-09 10:06 am   Permalink

Mai Kai will be loaded with Hukilau revelers tonight.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation