FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Show us your SHAG
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Show us your SHAG
TikiShopPua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-13 08:08 am   Permalink

Aloha TC Ohana:

Just wanted to share a quick Shag and Aloha Spirit story about my one and only Shag serigraph, "In Search of Tiki". My friend Wes at House of Tiki (ShakaTiki, here on TC) has long been a Shag fan and has a few of Shag's prints. We also have carried Shag items at the shop. I "inherited" my love and knowledge of Shag art through Wes, but I've never been able to afford my own and never thought I'd be fortunate enough to have one.

House of Tiki has gone through a rough couple of years. Thanks to some of our loyal Tiki Ohana, we've been able to keep our noses above water. Recently, we moved House of Tiki (again) to a smaller, more accessible and visible location in Costa Mesa. We were, for a year, in a warehouse location, and our place was next door to ShagMart. Piet Agle, Shag's bro, handles biz there, and was a very cool neighbor. Piet was kind enough to get Shag to sign one of his books for my daughter when she graduated with a degree in Art this past year, a gift that she treasures.

Anyway, when we moved, it was pretty rough. Wes worked day and night, sometimes 16 hour days to get us out of the old, and into the new, within a week. We were only "closed" for 2 days, which is a phenomenal feat. It was an Ohana effort, as all we had were Wes, myself, my hub, and our kids, and one of Wes's friends to pack everything, unpack, and be ready for biz. We did it expecting no compensation, but as something you would do for ohana. That is the Aloha Spirit I was raised with and the very spirit I have always seen in my friend Wes.

The day after we opened last week, Wes said that he had to go and do an "install" and so I stayed to man the shop. Little did I know that he and Piet had worked together on a "mahalo" surprise for my hub and me. He saw "In Search of Tiki" and said that he knew the instant he saw it that it was meant for the two of us because of the couple in the canoe (I'm Hawaiian, my husband is haole). He went to Piet who got him the art, and then to the amazing and talented Link at Frame Fetish, and then went to my house to do the "install", all without my knowledge. When I got home that night, there in our Tiki Room, was this beautiful work of art with a note that said.."You've Been Shagged!" I was completely floored and needless to say thrilled. I never thought in my wildest dreams I'd be lucky enough to get "Shagged".

So here it is, in all it's glory and to my great pride:

I know that was the long way around, but I couldn't post the pics without the background story. I think it says a lot about the spirit of Aloha and the kind of people who know how to show it! Mahalos!

View Profile of TikiShopPua Send a personal message to TikiShopPua  Email TikiShopPua Goto the website of TikiShopPua     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-13 3:23 pm   Permalink

Great story and the print looks wonderful!

What a fantastic way to get "Shagged".

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-13 8:27 pm   Permalink

Wow...what an awesome story and BOSS framing.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sasquatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-14 04:04 am   Permalink

.... great story and print!

View Profile of sasquatch Send a personal message to sasquatch  Email sasquatch Goto the website of sasquatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gromit_Fan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-17 05:23 am   Permalink

TikiShopPua,

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of Gromit_Fan Send a personal message to Gromit_Fan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 09:27 am   Permalink

Great story TikishopPua,
Wes is a great guy with great taste in employee's!!!! I've been to 2 of the 3 locations and I still think you guy's have the best products and customer service in Orange County.

I just got a call a realtor friend out here in Palm Springs that needed to liquidate some art for some fast cash and this is what I walked away with.

It was signed to him at the bottom which is fine,because I know this piece was released and sold out in one day at M Modern back in 2003.....You could pay to meet and greet with Josh (Shag) pre-show and have your art signed.....

Very cool stuff and I love the brown frame..............DIG IT!!!!!!!!

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-20 9:33 pm   Permalink

Sorry for the bad pics! Here is some of my Shag, Which has all ways been my favorite to collect:

I bought this because it's reminds me of my gal Dani, Not tiki but still a Shag!

Palm Springs! Very Fun!

These three are from early 2002 before Shag was to very well known, The colors are different than the prints listed in any Shag books, And the Tikis are different too? I bought these at an art show in Brea, Ca. 2002 along with the Shag 5 mug set! The third print should have another half to it, But I like it in the middle of the next prints, Which you can get as a Grand Member still on TC? Not sure, I did! A few years back.

I also have collected all the mugs USA and Japan, I like the Japan ones! and lunch boxes signed, And even these rare tea/coffee cups and coasters, For France only, I think?

These three are marked copyright Shag - England but are not signed, Probably some fake stuff, I still like them, They are a collaboration of his prints in one!

I have all ways loved the Shag art! Sorry for the bad pics! Maybe Santa will give Gogo a new camera! Mahalo! Gogo

[ This Message was edited by: GO TIKI 2008-12-20 21:56 ]

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 2:45 pm   Permalink

HI All,

I thought I would revive this thread due to Shag's new serigraph, "Secret Cul de Sac."

I wasn't fortunate enough to purchase, "Welcome to our Glorious Lifestyle," but was fortunate enough to get, "Secret Cul de Sac." I would have this idea of framing it somewhat 1960's antique. Kindda hard to explain right now, but I'll look for some pictures to clarify.

If anyone frames their "Secret Cul de Sac" please post images here.

I love the fact that it's so large and commands your attention. You can't ignore all that GREEN! Rumor has it artists rarely use green in their paintings, but I love it.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-02 08:32 am   Permalink

I just received 'The Secret Cul-De-Sac' this week and am taking in for framing today.

It really is an awesome print, and I can't wait to get it up on the wall. The colors are so great, that I think we're going to go with a simple black frame, white mat (boring I know) just because I don't want anything to interfere with it, and black would really help tie it into the room.

Once it's up, I'll make sure to post pics. This is the first real-life Shag print we've bought after years and years of wanting to.

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 11:39 am   Permalink

Hi ScamB

I totally agree the colors are stunning and it's size definitely commands your attention. I too am going with a simple frame, but with a slight antique/retro feel to it. Unfortunately, I haven't found any pics to post to show what I'm talking about.

I can't wait to see your framing.

Azzir

Posted: 2009-05-02 10:05 pm   Permalink

Hi All

My first post, so please be gentle

Here are a couple of serigraphs I bought for my lovely girlfriend for her 26th & 28th birthday's respectively:

"Alligator" (82/250)

"Welcome to Your Beautiful New Lifestyle" (88/200)

This one was appropriate for a few reasons... we live in Melbourne, we'd just moved into a new "Dream Home", and her birthday part (2 nights ago) was at Tiki Bar in Richmond

Sorry about the image quality... they were taken with my phone.

Oh and here's a link to the Tiki Bar website if anyone is interested:
http://tikiloungeandbar.com/

I highly recommend the Scorpion Bowl!!!

View Profile of Azzir Send a personal message to Azzir      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-03 12:24 am   Permalink

Congratulations on your dream home. Welcome to your glorious lifestyle indeed.

Scamboogah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-05-08 5:14 pm   Permalink

Here it is! I think simplicity really suits it well. It's a very dark cherry.

View Profile of Scamboogah Send a personal message to Scamboogah  Email Scamboogah Goto the website of Scamboogah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-08 6:41 pm   Permalink

WOW...great story.

Tell Wes someone on here misses Hot Lava Java

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 12:04 am   Permalink

Scambooga,

Wow...that looks so stunning. It looks great above your couch, which is where I plan to hang mine too. I do love the simplicity of it.

I went to a framer and got an estimate of $300 for a simple black frame similar to yours and a 3" white matting. How much did yours cost to frame.

Thanks,

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation