FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikisbytyler - Carvings From Neptune - Lono and pals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Tikisbytyler - Carvings From Neptune - Lono and pals
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-24 21:03, tikisbytyler wrote:
Thanks BD, Seeks & Big "T". Didn't mean to sound pomp or anything. Now I feel like an ass.

Nah, no worries man, you didn't come across that way. Just wish I had the talent to work that quickly.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 1:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha, y'all!

Picked up a new ECHO last night!!!
4 lbs. lighter than my old saw, easier on the joints & top mounted handle & throttle (climbing saw???)
more power, more rpm's
...grunt, grunt ugh woohooooo!

sorry.. I think I got some testosterone in my eye.

Sooo... a new Moai is born since I had to get out and play with my new toy:

Stain & finish tomorrow,
Maybe give the little beast another workout.
(the saw you sickos!)

Thanks fer stoppin in.
Tyler

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 4:34 pm   Permalink

nice one!
never used to dig these shapes but lately they are gettin to me ,and this one is smooth!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-26 10:39 pm   Permalink

tyler, great job! the moai looks great. congrates on the new echo. the dremel works great on small pieces but i definitely have to get a chainsaw for the bigger stuff. keep the chips flying and i look forward to the finished product.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-27 03:26 am   Permalink

Whoah!

You definately have the "real" Moai soul going with that carving. You can feel the mystery even at this unfinished stage just staring right at you.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-27 06:30 am   Permalink

Excellent start there Tyler. This Moai is already looking Alive!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-27 3:21 pm   Permalink

Nice! Wow great shape, look and everything.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 07:36 am   Permalink

Ahhhhh, a boy and his new saw! Brings a tear to the eye!
Came out GREAT! Let's see some final money shots!
Are you going to get a different carving tip for the saw?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 09:47 am   Permalink

Well thew only pic I got after the final sanding, stain & finish was on the display table at the art show yesterday right before someone snapped him up! Also started another tall moai for a commissioned job. A lady here in town is using three of my sculptures as supports for a bar she is building. Anyone out there have experience in this? I have a few questions if so. Here is a shot of the table from the show and a progress shot of the new moai.

Thanks fer stoppin!
Tyler

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 09:58 am   Permalink

Man that's awesome, just finished it, and poof! Sold! Except you don't get to enjoy him for a while first!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-01 09:58, surfintiki wrote:
Man that's awesome, just finished it, and poof! Sold! Except you don't get to enjoy him for a while first!

Yeah, that's the trouble with this whole set up. I really get attached to some of them and they sell too fast. I really liked that guy. (sniff)

On the bright side, I also sold the tall Florida style with the turtle in his head and the one on the ground beside him with the squinty eyes before the day was out! made a trade for another one not pictured for some nice pottery and one for an etched megalodon sharks tooth with a redfish in it! (Beautiful!)

More soon!!!
Tyler

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 11:58 am   Permalink

What a great selection of carvings. I see why they are flying off the shelf.
I think im to selfish to sell mine right now and i would be working
for 50 cents on the hour at my speed.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-03 06:04 am   Permalink

Wow! These look REALLY neat. I love the fact that your youngest daughter is taking such a liking to all those tikis.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 11:52 am   Permalink

Thanks to everyone for the kindness.

Surfin, where do I locate carving tips for chainsaws; I haven't had any luck. Just using standard cutting bars.

Aweulekuula, I have great respect for your work, I've been checking your thread. I appreciate your words. My oldest loves the tikis as well, she requested one for her own studio at her mom's house.

Seeks, Don't ever speed up. The quality you produce blows me away!

Got going on the sculptures for the bar.
This one is by request similar to the first Ku image I did.
The customer wants the back to be cut in at 90 degrees so that it can be built onto the corner of the bar.
She wants to be able to put a necklace on it similar to the one on my website, so I had to do some fancy cutting to make a channel for that.
Had to alter the proportions from front to back to allow for the large opening.

More soon!

Tyler
I'm starting to think I didn't charge this lady enough!

Anyway, I'm almost ready to start sanding.
Check out the shot of the negative space in the back; it's kinda eerie!

Feedback/suggestions please.
I have to cut two more the same way.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 11:59 am   Permalink

You are really crankin it up! I'm glad to see that you're having success with your tikis. Chainsaw carving is huge and there are many sites dedicated to the artform. Chain bars, motors and grinding tools are easily found just do a search for "chainsaw carving". They will not be tiki specific, but the process is the same. There are alot of cool videos on youtube.com as well. Hope you can make it to Hukilau this year - you'll fit right in.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation