FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tikisbytyler - Carvings From Neptune - Lono and pals
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Tikisbytyler - Carvings From Neptune - Lono and pals
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-01 9:47 pm   Permalink

looking good the bottom fella has some killer cops going on.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 07:17 am   Permalink

Looking good. Remember safety first - she should have some gloves on! My kids are the same way. So I put them to work - either sanding or sweeping. They lost interest quickly!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 2:33 pm   Permalink

Alright, so I'm working on this piece that is already partially paid for, I have a new occupational license for a small business operated out of my home, and one of my neighbors called the cops to complain about my chainsaw at 1:30 this afternoon.

The cop that came out called the city to see if my business license was valid and they told him that they expect me to "conduct all business related activities within the dwelling". So if I continue to get noise complaints they will revoke my license.

Anybody out there ever deal with anything like this???

In the short term, I still have to finish the carving I am working on.
I have a couple of gouges & chisels, but not a ton of experience with them.
Any chisel & mallet carvers out there got any tips for an old newbie?
I also am posting a pic of the few tools I have and would appreciate any suggestions on "must haves" to allow me to continue working in the meantime.

On the bright side this should force a steep incline in the quality of my work although it will come with a severe decline in speed!!!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 2:45 pm   Permalink

here's a problem solver .....but I'm not sure if the jail time of permanantly deafining your neibors is worth it, you being a family man .
anyway you have a mallot so you take an ice pick and ........
hope it works out for you !
you've done some amount of chainsaw work allready whats changed recently?

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 2:46 pm   Permalink

Sorry, I have no experience with noise complaints. And whats wrong with using tools during the day?
But like you said, your work will improve. Just tell the customer he/she is getting a better piece of work but it needs a little more time. Keep your tools sharp and search the forum for tips on carving. And keep having fun!

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 3:08 pm   Permalink

That sucks! Go talk to your neighbor and try and work out
some deal on when you might be able to make noise.
Otherwise start swinging the mallet.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-02 6:53 pm   Permalink

I seriously doubt they can pull your license for a "noise complaint" in the early afternoon, but they might be able to pull it for "manufacturing" or "light industrial" work being done without the proper papers, especially if your license is just for selling. But it's not like you are chain sawing every day, right? Is there anyway to move into the garage? That would reduce the noise.

Neighbors like that suck. I guess you need to check the TV listings and make sure you aren't creating any noise while Matlock is on.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 06:52 am   Permalink

My license is as a "woodworking" establishment.
The city and the officer suggested the same thing about moving it into the garage.
Problem with that is I don't have a garage.
I'm going to talk to the neighbor today, though. - Wish me luck!
Probably ought to take the ice pick just in case.

I did go tool shopping last night to try to find some alternative methods.
Got a couple new gouges (man are they expensive!)
Also bought a "lancelot", anyone else ever use one of these things?
Friggin thing is meaner than the devil himself!
Basically a disc for the angle grinder covered in small chainsaw teeth, waiting to remove wood, limbs, fingers, or whatever else gets in the way.

Hopefully today brings more positive news than yesterday.

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 10:16 am   Permalink

I have a whole new level of respect for you purist carvers out there that use hand tools only!
45 minutes into this through & through mouth design I'm headed inside to get something to eat & let my wrist rest. Much cleaner results than jamming a chainsaw through there, though. I'm guessing I probably have 2 more hours of work just on his mouth now.

I'm used to a little shorter time frame!
Relax, & enjoy the carving process, Tyler - What's your damned rush anyhow?

Mahalo

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 11:26 am   Permalink

It sucks having crappy neighbors! Could be a blessing. Forcing you to use chisels may be their downfall - 2 hours of chainsaw = 8 hours of pounding. What you will find is that your designs will become cleaner and more defined. Plus once you get "in shape", you may find that you like the chisels better and that they are faster. I would advise getting a urethane mallet - less stress on the joints when doing heavy hitting.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 11:45 am   Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement & advice, AlohaS. I was out there pounding with the mallet today wondering if the cops were gonna show up again & tell me to go back to the saw & get it over with. I looked at urethane mallets at woodcraft, but they want like 60 bucks for them I wasn't sure what size I would need anyways. You know of a less expensive place to get a quality one? I saw one on the net somewhere for 20 but not sure if I trust it. My old handmade cherry wood mallet has never let me down, but it is starting to get a little brittle.

So any advice on sanding? I like the texture from the gouges, but I think I may need to add some extra padding to my sander or go with hand sanding if I want to clean it up without losing all the nice strokes of the blade.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 12:58 pm   Permalink

Yo Tikisbytyler
I don't use the chainsaw that much, but when I do I use a 4hp 16" electric chain saw. It's not quite as loud at full power as my shopvac is during regular use. It's a little slower than a gas chain saw, but it's way quieter. Also, it's either on or off, so there is no idle noise when you are not actually cutting. I think it only cost me about $60-70 and I've had it for about three years now.
Or? Get a police scanner so you can hear when they are on the way.

Hand tools are better anyway
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 1:11 pm   Permalink

Calling it quits for today.

Amidst all the senseless drama, I am pretty happy with the way this guy is coming along so far.
Started shaping in the headdress a little and gave him some shape around the mouth, of course a little dental work.

See ya tomorrow if the rain holds off, folks!
(otherwise I'm crankin up the flexshaft & grinder and pretending Mango doesn't intimidate me)

Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 3:29 pm   Permalink

Tyler,looks to me like your hav'n no trouble adapt,n to the chisels.
the new guys come,n along great.Wood is good make a urethane mallet
that I got off ebay for 30bucks that is pretty kool,Id recomend the
20 ounce as I bought the 30 and Im start,n to look like popeye down
one side.Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 5:29 pm   Permalink

Wow, what a drama going on! Your not a complete carver til you own fifty-million tools!! Ha Ha

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation