FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Cajun Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Cajun Tiki
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-21 9:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-29 17:54, Dustycajun wrote:
Here are a couple mugs that I have from the Huki Lau in the Metairie area of New Orleans. I have never seen any paper items from this place, has anyone else?

At last, a matchbook surfaced from the Huki Lau in Metairie. One of the more expensive matchbooks I have seen sold on ebay at $66. And, KC didn't even win it.

We now have an address! Here is the image.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-01-21 22:25 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 11:00 pm   Permalink

Found another mug from the Huki Lau in Metairie.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 3:07 pm   Permalink

I found this glass at a local thrift store a few months ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Fugu 2009-01-30 15:11 ]

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 3:13 pm   Permalink

Sorry the picture is sideways. It's upright on my computer, but somehow turns sideways when I upload it. (I tried rotating it on my computer and then uploading and it doesn't change.)

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 3:32 pm   Permalink

Fugu,

Very nice find. We now know what the exterior of the Huki Lau looked like from the rendering on the glass.

About the sideways picture, this is Bigbro's advice posted a while back:

"Very nice...but Fugu, you gotta figure out how to fix those sideways photos! You have to put them into your I-Photo or whatever photo program you have and rotate and save them THERE, saving the corrections on your desktop is not enough!"

See if that works and edit your post so I can see the photo right-side-up.

Thanks

DC

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 3:40 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 3:54 pm   Permalink

...and I thought there was some old fruit juice residue making the bottom of the glass sticky!

And here is an even better rendering of the same image:

Seeing the design on the glass triggered my visual memory and I remembered I had a xerox of a matchbook somewhere...voila!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 5:33 pm   Permalink

Hiltiki, you fixed it! Thanks

Bigbro,

Thanks for the matchbook image, very nice. Looks like they had a couple of nice tikis out front. Would love to see a photo of the place.

Another mug from the Huki Lau (from Ooga Mooga).

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-01-30 17:42 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 6:21 pm   Permalink

Hey, I have that same one from the Mt. Fuji Inn in Omaha Nebraska. I never could figure out that "Moai with wood grain around the eyes and in the mouth" concept of design, to me this one is only superseded in oriental weirdness by that strange late Hawaiian Village Tampa "Good Luck" Moai mug. I think we are talking late Chinese Tiki devolution period of the "Orchids of Hawaii" kind, here.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 6:34 pm   Permalink

Great posts, as usual, Dusty. It's funny how many different ways Huke Lau was spelled. Is any one of them actually correct?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 6:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-30 18:21, bigbrotiki wrote:
I think we are talking late Chinese Tiki devolution period of the "Orchids of Hawaii" kind, here.

Then again, I might be totally wrong. The lab I use is not very precise in its age estimates:

"Geochronology Japan Inc., a lab in Tokyo, calculated the age of the mug by analyzing the grime that covered it, Mokhtar said. The result has a margin of error of 610,000 years, he said."

TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 8:33 pm   Permalink

I have those 2 mugs from the Huki-Lau and the Mt. Fuji Inn but mine are all wood grain not just around the eyes and in the mouth.

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 8:49 pm   Permalink

Tikiphil,

The Huki Lau and Mt. Fuji Inn both had the two mugs. Thanks for posting the comparison.

This matchbook is from the Tiki Club in Thibodaux, LA from Bigbro and the Book of Tiki. Any cajun folk out there know anything about this place?

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-01-30 11:04 pm   Permalink

DC - Here's a photo I think you'll like. This is from the "This Week in New Orleans" theater-guide from 10/26/1963. It's a rare photo of the outside of the Hawaiian Luau at the FontainBleau Motor Hotel.

It looks like there might even be some kind of ghastly cannibal-tiki eating its human victim in front of the building to the right.

But on closer inspection, it looks more like a giant New Zealand Hei-Tiki with his fists held close together over his chest and his head tilted

close-up of the front door.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 11:04 pm   Permalink

Going a little Cajun crazy tonight! Here is another menu from the Bali Hai at the Beach in New Orleans (courtesy of the Tiki Gallery).

The Bali Hai at the Beach started out as the Beachcomber at Pontchartrain in 1959, lasted for a year or so and then changed to the Bali Hai. Here is an early Tiki Bob's style mug from the Pontchartrain Beachcomber (from Ooga Mooga).

There was also one of these mugs from the Bali Hai.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation