FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-18 8:59 pm   Permalink

Way cool!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 8:32 pm   Permalink

In between all the other holiday fun, I managed to finish the wax sculpt for the "Tiki Parade" mug. Clockwise, from top left, there's the visage of Mr. Bali Hai, Tiki Bob, the Suffering Bastard, the mug title, the Islander Smiley, and the Islander Bumatay. I won't have a chance to make a mold until January. I'm very curious how it will cast...

Here are my new favorite tools:

I bought a set of cheap metal dental picks from Dick Blick. Now I can carve wax and do some self-surgery on the side!

As an aside, Las Vegas is in the midst of a freak snow storm - the worst since the late 50's. We've had around 3 inches of snow today - enough to build a snowman. He may not be Tiki, but he's happy to be alive!

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-17 8:42 pm   Permalink

Nice detail for such small sculptures! Check out Bowana's googles

He does some amazing detail work, I bet the goggles help.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 10:14 pm   Permalink

Those are pretty sweet...although I fear if I look at them too long I will fall under a hypnotic spell.

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-08 10:12 am   Permalink

Gosh...I haven't posted in ages. Well, it's great to see all the stellar work showing up in "Other Crafts."

I managed to finish the mold for "Tiki Parade I." It's a 7-piece trapezoidal beast...

Sigh - I'll never win any awards for "most beautiful mold."

Cast the first 6 mugs -

I'm pretty happy with the amount of detail that survived the faces -

The plan is to cast 16, and sell 10 to the public. Although it will be some time before I'm finished with this mug, I figure my following design will be based on something from this book I picked up at used bookstore in Glendale, CA:

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-09 05:55 am   Permalink

Congratulations on the successful mold and the book find. I have a finished sculpt that I haven't molded because it will require a 5 or 6 part mold. One of these days I'll get the energy and courage

The casts look great.

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 11:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Mike.

I did figure out one trick this time when prepping for the mold pours. When making the various walls around the sections to be cast, I cut pieces of matte board and wrapped the pieces in aluminum foil. I found it quicker and easier to do than building all the walls out of clay. I had the whole thing in a wooden box, so I could stuff packing foam between the matte walls and the outer wooden box to give the matte walls support. I'll have to take some pictures of the process next time...

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 01:44 am   Permalink

Very professional work!
Very nice.
ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-10 06:59 am   Permalink

I like that foamboard and foil trick, the foil will release easily from the plaster and the rigid foamboard will give nice clean sections

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 6:34 pm   Permalink

After much dilly-dallying, I finally glazed the first three Tiki Parade I mugs. Here's a gander:

The leftmost mug will be up for sale on E-bay in the next hour or so.

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-23 06:02 am   Permalink

Tiki Carver is extremely cool. Thanks for the "Making Of" pics.

Welcome to the team.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-21 4:35 pm   Permalink

Yay - two more "Tiki Parade I" mugs back from firing... These have extra-deluxe glaze jobs that took forever to paint... They're on E-Bay as I write this...

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2009-08-21 16:38 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-21 10:49 pm   Permalink

Beezlebug, it's good to have you back! Keep up the good work and post more often

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-21 11:02 pm   Permalink

I know - all sorts of non-Tiki things are taking up my time this year...

Nice signature banner, by the way!

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2009-08-21 23:03 ]

Meheadhunter
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-08-22 09:09 am   Permalink

Cool mugs....
Seems you work at about the same pace as I do!!

View Profile of Meheadhunter Send a personal message to Meheadhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation