FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 4:54 pm   Permalink

PDrake - Sure, I'd be up for a drink at the Brew Pub sometime...maybe even Frankie's...

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 5:07 pm   Permalink

Hey looking Great Beezle! Wow!

I wanta come for a drink too...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-09 5:24 pm   Permalink

I made my last few molds with foam board and duct tape I didn't even line it with foil, it comes off fine. (even if a little paper stays on the plaster, it comes off when everything is dry)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 6:29 pm   Permalink

Ah - that's good to know about the foamcore... I used fancy-pants gaffer's tape instead of duct tape...

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-09 6:43 pm   Permalink

i use hot glue and foamcore. well, that's for silicone molds. might not work for plaster, i guess it should.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-10 10:41 am   Permalink

GROG used foamcore and hot glue, and it worked out fine on GROG's plaster molds. No aluminum foil.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-10 11:20 am   Permalink

I'm sure you guys don't need any mold making tips from me, but I used foamcore so I could fold it down out of my way to work

It allows me to work the clay around my wax master without the form in the way. I fold the flaps up, tape it together, and use clay to seal the corners.

Then I throw a shoe in the washing machine and use it on the spin cycle as a vibration table to get the bubbles out of the plaster

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 9:17 pm   Permalink

Ha - we have that same exact washing machine... I haven't worried to much about the bubbles - they never seem to appear anyplace bad...

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-12 12:00 pm   Permalink

A few more steps on the Solomon mold...

I know it looks like the mold of a mad man, but I have a plan (insert eveil laugh here).

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 1:51 pm   Permalink

Final Solomon mold making steps...

Here are all the parts laid out. 19 of 'em...

Since there are so many little pieces for the face, hands, and bird, I cast an outside wall so the pieces had something to lock into. The wall is on the left below. The loosely assembled face is on the right. There are definitely a few part lines that will have to be removed, but at least I didn't have to alter my sculpt for the mold.

Here's the assembled mold. As soon as it dries out, I'll pour some slip...

Tobor64

Posted: 2009-12-15 2:21 pm   Permalink

Wow! That is one elaborate mold. Thanks for the pics of your progress on this & I hope to see more.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-15 5:34 pm   Permalink

HOLY CRAP!!!! 19 pieces! You da mold MASTER!!!

GROG

Posted: 2009-12-15 5:40 pm   Permalink

http://www.toxic-black-mold-info.com/moldsigns.htm

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-15 9:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the informative link! I guess I have a real problem if the mold starts spreading to other parts of the house. Right now, it's contained to the garage sink and my little mug-making station in the Rumpus Room. (Hmmm, is that plaster I smell?)

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 11:19 pm   Permalink

Here's Solomon #1 fresh out of the mold. The poor guy looks like Frankenstein. The hardest part was figuring out how to take apart the mold without inducing stress fractures. Nevertheless, he survived pretty well. Now that I know the order of events, the next one should be easier.

Here he is cleaned up:

I wanted to give him a chiseled, slightly irregular look, so I added a bunch of tiny tool marks...

I think I'll pour one more before bisque firing. I'm also going to do some glaze tests this time so I won't be surprised by the final colors.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation