FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-17 08:07 am   Permalink

Beezle - that's WILD!!!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 10:30 am   Permalink

Update on the Volcano Sipper...

Plus, I thought I'd go all mad scientist and build my own low-fire kiln. Here's the start...

I tracked down some old plans for a kiln built out of a steel oil drum, so I thought I'd try a cut-down trashcan. I'm using 2300 degree refractory brick. The base bricks (out of sight) are set on their side and are cut and cemented into a hex shape. For now, the side bricks are placed loosely as I plan out the resistance wire grooves. Once the walls are grooved, cemented, and braced, all the empty voids between the brick and the can will be filled with vermiculite. There will also be a lift-off lid made of bolted-together bricks. The control box is half a paint can that is hinged so I can get to the wiring. The resistance wire will be sent through the can via ceramic-insulated pass-through bolts. The 20 amp switch is using high-temp appliance wire. There will be a peep hole and a tiny shelf on the opposite side for peeking at self-supporting pyrometric cones. I have the whole thing set on a wooden base that I can caster around the garage.

The kiln firing space is 7x9x9". It'll produce roughly 1700 watts at 14 amps using 144 inches of coiled AWG 11 Kanthal wire. Since I work at cone 06 for everything, I figure it should be sufficient. (Turns out algebra is useful for some things!) If you want a good book on kiln math, track down "Electric Kiln Construction for Potters" by Robert Fournier.

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2010-05-23 15:09 ]

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 3:47 pm   Permalink

OK Beezle, you get the Mad Scientist Award!!! Have you made provisions for a Low/High or Low/Med/High temp setting for a slower firing?

The Volcano Sipper sculpt is looking way cool!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 4:59 pm   Permalink

No...no temp control just yet... However, the circuit design can be converted to a low/high heat switch (one that switches between series and parallel wiring) if the kiln proves unruly. I'm setting up the resistance wire grooves and pass-through connectors for just such an option.

I'm trying the low-tech approach first. Robert Fournier says he's fired much of his work with nothing more than a "switch and a cone" for 30 years.

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 2:32 pm   Permalink

The Sipper sculpt is almost ready for mold-making. Here's how it's designed to work with a straw...

The straw (red line) goes through an opening at the top of the head, through the lava tube going into his mouth, through the volcano cap, and into the base. The entire top is actually a lid which can be removed for pouring in a tasty liquid beverage...

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 5:30 pm   Permalink

Great work on the new mug design Beezle! And you made your own kiln!!...yes sir, very nice. hope the mold build up goes smooth for you

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 7:04 pm   Permalink

all I have to say is: WOW!

that lava sipper is looking incredible... cannot wait to see it finished...

impressive lab work on the ol' trash can kiln... have you used it yet? curious as to how it works for you...

peace,
Jason

View Profile of TikiDaye Send a personal message to TikiDaye      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-31 8:26 pm   Permalink

Looks great. I love that texture near the hut, it would make good coral.

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-31 8:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words.

Still building the kiln. Right now, I'm chiseling all the channels for the resistance wire. Hopefully, I'll have the first test fire by the end of June.

The little blob by the hut is supposed to be a bunch of trees or bushes. It does look like coral though. I might spend some more time making them plant-like.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-31 8:40 pm   Permalink

I'm not saying you should change it! It looks cool, very interesting texture - could very well look like vegetation if it were green.

Cap'n Pharaoh
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-01 12:15 am   Permalink

hahah .....another fournier convert....... you'll be forging in no time

View Profile of Cap'n Pharaoh Send a personal message to Cap'n Pharaoh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-10 5:07 pm   Permalink

Start of sipper mold make (top only)...

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-10 8:26 pm   Permalink

You and your 40 piece molds! Hope it all turns out good How's the new kiln?

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-11 09:03 am   Permalink

Still finishing up the kiln... I had inadvertently coiled the resistance wire with incorrect coil lengths, so I had to make some design adjustments - d'oh! Ah well, I should be able to reinstall all the kiln bricks and wire next week.

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-17 10:34 am   Permalink

More sipper top mold steps...

All the final mold pieces for the top (I know, too many!)...

The assembled mold. I had a hard time reassembling it while keeping all the pieces tight, so I had to add some Klean Klay to the edge seams...

The cast top sitting on top of the sculpted base. He lost some detail, but he's alive and well...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation