FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Tikis in films
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 7:26 pm   Permalink

This scene is from Pagan Island has something that looks like a monster/ tiki hybird in the background.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 02:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-19 15:48, AquaZombie wrote:
Anyways, before I forget, I had to go through this whole topic to see if anybody had put on "Beyond The Valley of the Dolls" from 1970.

I only remember this one, were there more?

I was watching Fear and Loathing... again, this time I noticed this scene:

Bahooka!

Heeeeeeerrrrrrree's Johnny!

Benicio

Beverages!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-19 5:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-17 19:26, naugatiki wrote:
This scene is from Pagan Island has something that looks like a monster/ tiki hybird in the background.

That staue is the sea god. Here is a better shot of him.

The man who carved the sea god for this movie was Lewis Van Dercar he is in the Book of Tiki there is a thread about him if you are interested:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7197&forum=1&hilite=pagan%20island

The movie trailer is on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMBtf87RL74

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-05-20 02:43 am   Permalink

OFF TOPIC warning!

Quote:

On 2007-05-18 02:43, stuff-o-rama wrote:

I was watching Fear and Loathing... again, this time I noticed this scene:

Bahooka!

So weird! I own a '63 Comet 260V8 (in foreground) I bought it in Hermosa Beach CA 2004 (took it to Caliente Tropics on that trip for an extended test drive!) and stored it over that winter in SLO with friends (Christine Salon DeLux) before driving across USA on Route 66 to Chicago in 2005. Shipped it home to the UK. Whilst in SLO visited the stuff-o-rama store, of course! Serendipity???

Thanks for posting the still, stuff-o-rama, I have always wanted a pic of the Comet from that movie. Now I need the one from 'Every which way but loose'!!!

Liz

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-21 6:00 pm   Permalink

Okey-Dokey -

I've been going nuts this past week with nostalgia while watching the first season of Hawaii 5-O on DVD. I dunno if you guys are including TV shows in this thread, but there are so many Tikis in McGarrets Hawaii that I'd be posting frame grabs till the end of time!
Anyway, wanted to share a few of my favorites - I got this mug at an art fair a while back:

Standard Koa souvenir mug. Really like the inscription:
"Al Minn's Fun Camp - 1972
Best All-Around Camper
Clarke Bennett"

I'd like to think we should all strive to be a Best All Around Camper in our day-to-day lives. Imagine my delight when we get a glimpse into a 1968 pawn shop on 5-O:

Yes! My mug's brothers and sisters! All brand-sparkly new!

And while not tiki related, here is another mind blowing Hawaii scene for me:

This is the Makai Research Pier at Makapuu (across the street from Sea Life Park) under construction! Anyone who has taken a drive around Oahu is sure to remember this pier. Very bizarre for me to see being built as my dad's office is on the end of this pier, and I practically grew up on the thing (I was born the year my Koa Mug was inscribed - 1972).

Thanks for peeking -

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 1:23 pm   Permalink

..let's not forget the fabulous baker boys, where the brothers bridges are playing dueling piano in a hotel tiki lounge in seattle....i don't think it was a movie set, but a real tiki bar in a real hotel....anyone know for sure?? and is it still around??? what was it called??

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-31 4:46 pm   Permalink

a bad 80's movie called vibes they are supposedly in some South American Country Peru maybe at a hotel bar.....didn't look like a Vics but then I saw the mug and swizzle after this shot someone walks in with a volcano bowl as well

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kong-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-01 12:31 am   Permalink

Don't think the Hawaiian place in Baker Boys has a name. It is not the Starlite Lounge, where the story sets off. But Frank demonstrates his lingual skills when he rounds up the show:
- Waca Waca Maca Waca. Which means "Paddle Home Safely".

View Profile of Kong-Tiki Send a personal message to Kong-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 01:20 am   Permalink

Aaaaah, I just went down T.C. thread memory lane, thanks for digging that up. What a great example of TCers collaborative effort in researching the work of an obscure, unappreciated outsider artist that was related to Tiki. Benzart's stories, the statues in Wayne's backyard, all these links...this is gotta be one of my favorite TC threads ever. An example of how just one strange piece of art can unearth a whole forgotten world of bizarre wonder. Someone should make a book about Van, something to hold in your hands other than just virtual images.

Quote:

On 2007-05-19 17:06, captnkirk wrote:

That statue is the sea god. Here is a better shot of him.

The man who carved the sea god for this movie was Lewis Van Dercar he is in the Book of Tiki there is a thread about him if you are interested:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7197&forum=1&hilite=pagan%20island

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 12:34 pm   Permalink

I've seen Pagan Island on DVD and enjoyed it thoroughly. Not too much of a story, but at least three scenes with this lovely maiden dancing around in front of a very strange tiki god.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-02 9:35 pm   Permalink

A friend turned us on to the original 1956 'A Kiss Before Dying' starring Robert Wagner and Joanne Woodward. Seems like all the exteriors were shot here in Tucson and there's a scene in the Pago Pago......

The waiters wore some cool threads....and those wall lamps look sweet.

Interesting place mat/napkin.

Nice neon.

Nice murals.

So that's the Pago Pago. Long gone, but available for viewing thanks to your local friendly video store (or Netflix). Thank you Hollywood.

ch

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-03 07:24 am   Permalink

"Attack of the Beast Creatures"...this was made in the mid-80's I believe, and while the designs are not EXACTLY tiki as we know it, there is in fact a very unusual tiki in this film. It belongs to the 6-inch-tall red chattering monsters that inhabit the island and attack any human that wanders along...if you go to the page below you will find a good review and also pictures, including a picture of the famous scene showing all the little 6-inch monsters kneeling and praying in front of their 3-foot-tall deity statue. (!) It is really a moment of jaw-dropping strangeness.

This is a bad, bad movie, no doubt about that, but there is nothing quite like it.

http://www.brainsonfilm.com/beastcre.html

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zerga

Posted: 2007-06-17 7:09 pm   Permalink

There are Tikis in the Nintendo Wii game, Excite Truck, on the Figi Map!

View Profile of Zerga Send a personal message to Zerga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kong-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-20 2:01 pm   Permalink

So they are sect members and polygamists, but are the Utah families in HBOs Big Love also secret Tiki worshipers?
In the Bill Hendrickson (Bll Paxtons) supply store Home Plus, hey have a rather jolly tiki for sale in the garden department.

And his eldest son have a tiki mug on the desk in his room.

They haven´t started showing the second season in Norway yet, but I understand that their square neighbours (square from a polygamist point of view) even has a tiki bar in their back yard.

Doesn´t exactly look like a fun and wild Luau. So what is this? The Grumpy Church of Latter Day Tikis?

[ This Message was edited by: Kong-Tiki 2007-06-20 14:37 ]

View Profile of Kong-Tiki Send a personal message to Kong-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-23 4:22 pm   Permalink

I watched Joe vs. The Volcano again the other night. I love that movie!

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation