FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
Tikis in films
kahikikiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-30 07:01 am   Permalink

My husband said he saw a tiki mug on the show "Sports Night". Apparently one of the main characters keeps his pens in one on his desk.

View Profile of kahikikiki Send a personal message to kahikikiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-30 08:25 am   Permalink

His WHAT?

Oh...his pens...for a second I thought it...sorry.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-07 6:16 pm   Permalink

The old cartoon Dick Tracy has an episode called Hawaiian Guy (Hawaiian Eye, get it?). A couple of villains, Mumbles and another whose name I don't recall, try to steal a huge diamond from the top of a moai, which is called Diamond Head. Dick Tracy sends Joe Jitsu to apprehend the criminals.

There is no way this cartoon could be made today. Joe Jitsu contains every bad, racist stereotype of a Mr. Moto-type character you could think of. He uses martial arts to effortlessly slam the bad guys to the ground, while saying "So Solly" and "Excuse Prease".

On the up side, the cartoon does have that early-60s vibe to it.

Six-two and even, over and out!

The Dick Tracy Show

Episode Title

The Moai and Diamond

'Dancing Bushes'

Joe Jitsu

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
snackbar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 07:59 am   Permalink

In the Eddie Murphy flick Norbit (2007) is a scene that's set in a swimming pool were quite a few tikis can be seen.
Here's one on the left

Not that I want to encourage anyone to watch this piece of crap.

lilyscarlet.com

View Profile of snackbar Send a personal message to snackbar  Goto the website of snackbar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-23 09:19 am   Permalink

Is anyone watching HBO's series "JOHN FROM CINCINNATI"? The Yost family residence has a tiki out front of the house, near the driveway. Loads of glass floats both at their residence and surf shop. Cannot find a photo of it yet, but will keep an eye out.

And all that is more than I can tell you about just what the hell is going on with this show! But am enjoying it just the same.

Cheers,
Rupe

[Looked for a general TV thread, but couldn't find one, so posted here. Am hoping to clear out the image of the "Norbert" posting above 'cause that's pretty damn distrubing!]

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboobeavis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-23 8:28 pm   Permalink

The movie 40 year old virgin was already mentioned but what wasn't mentioned was the Benihana Budha type mug that Steve Carrol's character was drinking out of while on a date with his love interest.

View Profile of bamboobeavis Send a personal message to bamboobeavis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kollektor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-25 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-23 09:19, rupe33 wrote:
Is anyone watching HBO's series "JOHN FROM CINCINNATI"? The Yost family residence has a tiki out front of the house, near the driveway. Loads of glass floats both at their residence and surf shop. Cannot find a photo of it yet, but will keep an eye out.

Yeah, and if you watch closely, Mitch Yost has a really cool carved maoi tiki in his meditation lair out back. I got my eye on YOU!

PS -- John from Cincinati rocks, and has one of the coolest theme songs ever: "Johnny Appleseed" by Joe Strummer

View Profile of Tiki Kollektor Send a personal message to Tiki Kollektor  Goto the website of Tiki Kollektor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-30 06:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-06-07 09:56, SoBeTiki wrote:
Since this thread has officially been dubbed "Non-Tiki Bar" Tiki spottings in movies, I'll add one I saw the other night. Black Widow with Theresa Russell and Debra Winger. A large Tiki carving can be seen outside of a Hawaiian resort where the girls stay. Other than that, the few highlights of the movie feature Theresa Russell in a bikini and Debra Winger applying CPR to Theresa...

Just saw that too. Never noticed tikis in movies before I joined this board. The Hawaiian rich guy that the girls nabbed was a hottie....the CPR scene didn't do a thing for me.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-30 2:17 pm   Permalink

Okay so not a movie but in the TV show Psyc. The main characters dad is building a tiki bar in his living room.

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-30 6:55 pm   Permalink

OMG...you mean the show PSYCH? I watch that show religiously....I must be blind....I missed that. I am going to have to try to catch all the reruns now so I can see the tiki bar project....I'm on a mission!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikihai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-31 3:30 pm   Permalink

More last week on John from Cincinnati...
a cool amateur carved KU and John made the KU angry mouth look. Classic.

View Profile of tikihai Send a personal message to tikihai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 6:30 pm   Permalink

I just watched the DVD of Night at the Museum with my kids.
It is a OK movie if you have young kids to entertain. It is rated PG but it is all right for all but the very youngest kids.

Right at the very beginning when all the stuff at the Museum comes alive Ben Stiller stop for a few seconds and has a quick exchange with a moving talking Moai head.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSOX
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-16 07:00 am   Permalink

By the way, the aformentioned "Clambake" starring Elvis and the tikis is on tonight (8-16) on Turner Classic Movies (11:30 I believe) for those so inclined

View Profile of TikiSOX Send a personal message to TikiSOX  Email TikiSOX     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aku76
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-01 10:36 am   Permalink

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a good 50s film called 'Pearl of the South Pacific' starring Virginia Mayo has several large tikis--they are even part of the plot because the tribal leader prays to them several times. Check it out.

View Profile of aku76 Send a personal message to aku76  Email aku76     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tulsatv
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-01 11:55 am   Permalink

(I just realized this thread is the place to post this...)

Has anyone noticed that the White Sphinx figure, as conceived for the 1960 movie, "The Time Machine", looks like a futuristic Tiki:

http://www.colemanzone.com/Time_Machine_Project/Bob_Burns(1).htm

The year (1959-1960) was right for the Tiki boom to have influenced the art direction. The Eloi could be seen as an future incarnation of carefree South Seas people.

View Profile of tulsatv Send a personal message to tulsatv  Email tulsatv Goto the website of tulsatv     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation