FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Tikis in films
MNZombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-10 08:46 am   Permalink

I was flipping through Turner Classic Movies and caught the musical "My Dream is Yours" (1949)starring Doris Day. Doris plays an aspiring signer who at one point ends up singing as part of a Hawaiian floor show. It's basically just the one scene and if you want a quick glimpse, check out the trailer at TCM.com: http://www.tcm.com/video/videoPlayer/?cid=32101&titleId=922 Not the most impressive scene, but I love these little glimpses in the old films you wouldn't expect.

View Profile of MNZombie Send a personal message to MNZombie  Email MNZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 4:14 pm   Permalink

Okay, this next one may be the "Party Central" of Tiki films...

"Brides of Blood", a terrible atomic-monster flick from the Philipines, was made in 1968. It's clear that the director was attempting to portray a South Seas paradise under attack by cannibalistic mutant plants and a guy in a pathetically bad rubber monster mask. Instead, what we get are some truly terrible examples of pseudo-Tiki carvings, like the island's chief idol (which looks more like a retarded jack-in-the-box than a Polynesian god), along with a couple of strippers from Manila decked out in grass skirts and sarongs. That fine, American actress, Beverly Hills, also appears as a scientist's slutty wife who gets conveniently disrobed by the monster just as I was starting to fall asleep.

Enjoy!

The monster with one red eye. Must be related to the Goof!

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 06:50 am   Permalink

I saw one recently. It was called Paradise Found, it is a biopic about the life of painter Paul Gauguin. Half the film takes place in Paris where he quits a lucrative job as a stock broker and becomes a painter. The other half is in French Polynesia where he paints the people and places that surround him. He has conflicts with his wife over quitting his job and his painting, he has conflicts with the local priest in Tahiti about the destruction of tikis (false idols) on the island.

I would not buy a copy of it, but it is worth a rental if you like movies about paradise. From what I know about him it is pretty close to the facts too.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2008-09-12 03:18 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-11 10:58 am   Permalink

"Midway" (1976): Capt. Matthew Garth (Charleton Heston) and his son, Ensign Thomas Garth (Edward Albert) have a drink in a Hawaiian tiki bar. You can see a couple of nice, carved tiki poles in the background, along with some shell and fishing-float lamps. Since this is set during WWII, 6 months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, I'd be interested to know whether or not there actually were tiki bars on Honolulu in 1942, or if this is just an anachronism. I suspect the latter.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 11:09 am   Permalink

In Season 1 of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, an episode called "Turn Back The Clock" features a 3 second clip of natives drumming and in the background you can see the Oceanic Art masks hanging from the cave wall. Its just after 32 min into the show.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-24 5:07 pm   Permalink

I discovered another film from 1956 that features the Pago Pago in Tucson, Arizona. (Previously Cheeky Half posted some shots from A KISS BEFORE DYING, which also features it:)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=302&forum=1&vpost=310594&hilite=kiss%20before%20dying

The following movie is CRIME AGAINST JOE, a low budget crime drama from Howard W. Koch Productions, starring John Bromfield (who usually played good looking cads in his movies). The female lead is played by Julie London, but she doesn't sing nor does she appear in the two Pago Pago scenes (the actress playing the club singer in these shots is named Alika Louis).

I figured out the locale because Bromfield says he's going to the "Pango Pango" (n's pronounced), which I assumed to really be Pago Pago (though I didn't dream they'd use the real business name in the film--they did). Then there is a street sign named N. Oracle Rd., which I looked up on Google maps and--voila--it was in Tucson. The brilliance of the people on this forum told me the rest:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=16506&forum=2&6
(Elsewhere in the film are some scenes in downtown Tucson, and mentions of the University of Arizona, etc.)

I did some screen captures, including a couple of panoramas I put together from pan shots (I can post the individual frames if these came out too small to see). There are two scenes at the Pago Pago, one longer one earlier in the film and a later brief one that has the last tracking shot which gives you a good shot of the interior. Based on the interiors here (which look real), I'm thinking that A KISS BEFORE DYING was filmed at the real exterior, but used sound stage sets for the interior (it vibes too big, and it was a bigger budget movie that could afford to recreate interiors for maximum camera movement).

Here's the panorama of the front when Bromfield first arrives:

Some inside shots (note cool ceiling):

Panorama of the inside later in the film:

The front again:

Here's the sign (part of it) and a flavor of the industrial stretch where it was located:

Note the "N. Oracle Rd." street sign (address was 2201 N. Oracle Rd.):

Dig the covered wagon in front for true western tiki ambiance!

I have a few more shots which I can post, but didn't want to hog bandwidth right off.

Brent W.

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-24 5:23 pm   Permalink

Nice work!

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 3:37 pm   Permalink

Cool Moai from "Creature With the Atom Brain", a psychotronic classic about killer Nazi zombies.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 2:11 pm   Permalink

Great images from the Pago Pago! Here is a matchbook (with that fabulous embossed breasts feature!):

I had missed that earlier post with the color pics, it's fun to compare the film still of the exterior with the rendering!:

The column and the doors line up exactly in both images!

This place was clearly Pre-Tiki in style and name, as I pointed out here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12807&forum=2&vpost=276319

It would be interesting to compile a list of how many Pago Pagos existed in America.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 2:40 pm   Permalink

One of a series of establishing shots of various 1950s household items in the opening scene of "Blood Diner". I only picked up the Lyman album under the table when I saw the screencap:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 12:18 pm   Permalink

Surprised no one's posted any caps from this yet:

Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki (1950)

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-02-16 12:45 pm   Permalink

Anyone catch the recent episode of "Psych" called "Tuesday the 17th"? It takes place at "Camp Tikihama" and the main building was called the "Menehune Lodge."
There's been tiki references before on the show - anyone know if the creators are TC'ers?

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 11:04 am   Permalink

While channel surfing through the Shotime channels, I found a scene where Vanessa Williams is dancing in front of a bunch of guys in fez's* in a place with heavy tiki decor. Turns out to be an updated version (1995) of Bye Bye Birdie

All Movie Guide: Bye Bye Birdie (1995)

Vanessa Williams in Bye Bye Birdie

* What is the proper plural version of fez anyway?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

* What is the proper plural version of fez anyway?

fiz?

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-27 3:18 pm   Permalink

Necessary Roughness with Scott Bakula.

fezzes?

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation