FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Tikis in films
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-13 4:40 pm   Permalink

Scary! I'm flippin' thru channels and there it is, The Experts- not more than 3 hours after I posted about it. Got to see the tiki bar scene again and was only able to count one carved pole (though I did count TWO mullets!)

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-02-13 16:44 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-02-18 3:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha Gang,

I was clicking through the channels and on AMC I saw this early 70s movie with William Holden in it. I stopped and watched it as I was putting on my shoes.

William Holden went for a drink and I'll be damned if he did not get a tall one at a tiki bar/lounge. I am not sure the location but it was on the west coast. Does anyone know more about this movie? It was named "Breezy" from 1973.

Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens

View Profile of Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens Send a personal message to Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens  Email Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens Goto the website of Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 3:59 pm   Permalink

There is a tiki mask on the wall in the house party scene in The Who's Quadraphenia. You have about 2 secs to catch it.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-02-19 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-13 16:16, woofmutt wrote:
On AMC today I stumbled across a scene from the John Wayne flick "Wake of the Red Witch" (1948 or 1949)...John and some other white men were with some natives-of-unknown-origin gathered in front of a large and very cool looking Moai that had a fire pit in front of it. The native spokesperson presented a big chest of pearls to the Duke and this angered one of the white guys who pulled a gun, shot wildly, then ended up falling into the fire pit beneath the Moai. The natives took this as a good sign, the Moai had no reaction.

P.S.: I attempted two searches to see if this film had been mentioned on Tiki Cental before. Apologies if it has and feathers are ruffled, noses out of joint, or butt cheeks have clenched permanently shut. Maybe it's mentioned in the B.O.T. and if it is again with the apologies for not having that tome firmly set page by page in my memory.

It will be on again in March:
AMC SCHEDULE (NEXT 30 DAYS)

# SHOW TITLE TIME
1 Wake of the Red Witch (1948) Friday, Mar. 5 4:30 AM / EST
2 Wake of the Red Witch (1948) Friday, Mar. 5 3:45 PM / EST

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGoon on 2004-02-19 11:36 ]

View Profile of TikiGoon Send a personal message to TikiGoon  Email TikiGoon Goto the website of TikiGoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 1:09 pm   Permalink

Saw "Jersey Girl" last night, Kevin Smith's(writer/director of Mallrats, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma etc.) most recent flick.

The little girl Gertie watches a cartoon that mentions a super hero fighting against terrible tikis.

In the special features on the DVD, Kevin Smith visits roadside attractions, including the Weeki Wachee Mermaids.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 3:59 pm   Permalink

I thought I caught a glimpse of a framed tiki in the new movie "Saw". When the Dr. goes to the seedy hotel.... it was on the same wall as the door. Damn, I'm going to have to sit through all the gore again to make sure!!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 4:09 pm   Permalink

There's a monkeypod wood "Ku" mug in The Man With Two Brains. There's a scene where Steve Martin is talking to a mad scientist who is holding the mug.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KevInBoots

Posted: 2004-11-04 11:32 pm   Permalink

Here's one I know hasn't been mentioned before, because it won't be released until next May: 'Madagascar.' It's DreamWorks next animated feature, which I'm working on now, and it has a very funny Tiki sequence. That sequence hasn't even been animated yet, but I was looking at the layouts, and it's funny as hell.

View Profile of KevInBoots Send a personal message to KevInBoots  Email KevInBoots     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BaronV
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-05 5:14 pm   Permalink

Two Moai-type statues are in Syndrome's banquet hall in 'The Incredibles'

View Profile of BaronV Send a personal message to BaronV  Email BaronV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kimcheebref
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-05 10:30 pm   Permalink

8-Mile: starring Eminem, Kim basinger, Brittany Murphy, Mekhi Phifer.

You guys may have seen this or it already has been mentioned. Apologies if it has!

There's a scene around 30 minutes in, where Eminem and his "Posse" are in the old Chin Tiki in Detroit.

But before that, it shows them walking up to it with a really good shot of the outside during the night time. its all lit up. Looks really cool.

When they go inside, it is like a hip 21-30 club. Seems like they didnt change it into looking like a nightclub - but they have dance/hiphop playing. No wooden tikis, but they are drinking out of some R-5 Orchids of Hawaii mugs. there are some oher type mugs as well but i cant really tell.

I think that this bar has been closed a long time, but the outside and the sign are still there. I think that i read in a local paper last year that they may be reopening it- has anyone heard this?

I heard that the original onwers still have the rights to the building. they have reported in the past that tiki statues and things have been stolen from the inside. so i am thinking that they are keeping all there tiki stuff for maybe a reopening?

Sad to say that i have not actually been there, but i am planning on it. but does anyone know anything about this? Or its actual location so that i may visit?

thanks

[ This Message was edited by: kimcheebref on 2004-11-05 22:33 ]

View Profile of kimcheebref Send a personal message to kimcheebref  Email kimcheebref     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-08 10:17 am   Permalink

Caught a site of a moai bird bath on the new showtime series "Huff" last night, its in a living room scene behind his easy chair by the window midway thru the show.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-19 12:40 am   Permalink

I saw two movies over the weekend that many a tiki in it.

The Incredibles, in the vocanic lair there are two huge Rapa Nui heads standig on either side of the lave door. Heck Mr. Incredible picks one up. They are very Shag looking in design. Possibly the artist was a fan?

Cellular, I would have never watched this movie, but when you are at the mercy of inlaws you really have little choice. But anyways, you see a few tikis in the background when they are at the peir (towards the end), then the Car salesman from "Fargo" gets in a scuffle with a bad-cop and they crash into a huge collection of painted idols (about 4-5 feet tall). Then the car sales man from "Fargo" goes under the peir, into the boat house (I'm not saying why) and you see a mess load of glass floats!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-03 1:09 pm   Permalink

She Gods of Shark Reef
A 1958 Roger Corman film

Haven't seen the movie but poster sure looks good.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-06-04 09:57 am   Permalink

you can download the whole movie from..

http://www.archive.org./details/she_gods_of_shark_reef

..gotta love that Archive.org

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-04 2:07 pm   Permalink

For being a video game based movie... Alone in the Dark is one of them. And it has many scenes in a museum with many tikis and totems.

If you have never heard of the movie... it's pretty much like the Relic.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation