FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
Tikis in films
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 10:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-02 21:05, tikipedia wrote:
The 1968 Disney film "Never a Dull Moment" has Dick van Dyke mistaken for a killer, involved in an art theft.
In one scene at the art museum, he hides in a room called "Gallery of Primitive Arts".
Some of the tikis look pretty familiar.

Yep, the one on the right looks like a version of that Marquesan style O.A. Tiki...

...but with an additional paint job!

And that is Henry Silva, one of my favorite Hollywood bad guys, inside member of the Rat Pack. He starred in Johnny Cool,
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057200/
for which Sammy Davis crooned the title song, what a great soundtrack. I saw him 10 years ago in a store in Beverly Hills, he still looked the same!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
palapala
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-01 9:41 pm   Permalink

ok, this may be reaching a bit...Godzilla Vs. megalon.
there appears to be a Moai like silver idol in the zeetopian lair/temple...
scary bad movie...
recommended drug and food accompaniments:

economy size nyquill
spray cheese
'nilla wafers

View Profile of palapala Send a personal message to palapala  Email palapala     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 6:49 pm   Permalink

In the I Dream of Jeannie episode "You Can't Arrest Me... I Don't Have a Drivers License", Jeannie takes her master's car for a drive. For a very brief second, she drives past a tiki restaurant called the "Tahitian Room". This flashed by so quickly, I had to dig up the video on Hulu to verify (thank goodness for tiki instinct).

This has me wondering. Considering the budget of a TV show in the 1960s, it would seem it is unlikely the facade of this tiki restaurant was made for the program, considering how briefly it appeared on the screen. So was this facade used in some other TV program? And if so, which one?

Also, I dream of Jeannie took place in Cocoa Beach, Florida, although it was shot in California. There is no Tahitian Room in Cocoa Beach, but there was a
Tahitian Lounge in Vero Beach, about 50 miles south of Cocoa Beach.

Another screenshot with the left-hand tiki more visible.

Slight side view of the A-frame. Note waitress in 'sarong' type dress.

[ This Message was edited by: tikipedia 2009-10-12 19:09 ]

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2009-10-12 7:00 pm   Permalink

Great shot!! California had several small "Tahitian Room"s that didn't rate anything with a logo but a matchbook and maybe a cocktail napkin to remember them by. Often they didn't have postcards, menus or mugs.

Doctor Z and I discovered a Tahitian Room in Torrance CA before it was torn down that we still haven't even found a matchbook for. This one in the episode isn't it, but it could have been one of those minor tiki temples still uncharted.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-10-12 19:03 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-12 8:18 pm   Permalink

Sorry, but that's a set, with 99% certainty. One sure hint: Both of those entrance Tikis are the lightweight, fiberglass molded type. The rest is just some bamboo, a sign, and fake palm trees.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 05:05 am   Permalink

yup - the facades looks oh so familiar to me too - maybe warner bros back lot or universal - simply dressed out for 'interest'.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 7:13 pm   Permalink

I should have been more specific. If you keep watching video of the scene, you can tell it was filmed on a studio backlot.

Hence my question about whether the tiki bar in question was a facade made for some other program. Or it may have been an attempt to make a rather mundane backlot street set look more like what Cocoa Beach would look like to the Average Joe. Also note the palm trees, with the base of the trunks strategically blocked by parked cars. Could the cars conceal pots the trees are sitting in?

Pix of the full backlot set. The tiki bar is just visible at right.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Agent 86
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-21 7:57 pm   Permalink

I saw a film today called Eight Days A Week from 1997 starring Kerri Russell from The Waitress and Felicity. In the last ten minutes of the film they go to spy on a neighbor they think has killed his wife and are caught by the neighbor. He acts kinda like a psycho and grabs then and throws them through his living room door and once inside land into a pool. Inside is a tiki room. The guy laughs because he was able to scare them. He explains that he and his wife had their honeymoon in Tahiti and because she's sick she can't go so he brought Tahiti to her.

View Profile of Agent 86 Send a personal message to Agent 86      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drgoat456
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 2:55 pm   Permalink

I came across a movie "Rapa Nui", produced by Kevin Costner while looking for something else. I put it on my que at Netflix, but they don't have it to send out yet, but you can watch it on instant play. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth the watch? Just watched "Once Were Warriors" again, if you haven't seen it, do so. It's about as emotionally gripping as a movie gets. (about a Maori family, in the "modern" world. Alcholism & wife abuse & family, and you won't forget it for long while. It stars among others, the guy who played boba fet, in the most recent star wars movie. Everyone in it is outstanding.

[ This Message was edited by: drgoat456 2009-10-28 14:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: drgoat456 2009-10-29 07:36 ]

View Profile of drgoat456 Send a personal message to drgoat456  Email drgoat456     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 3:50 pm   Permalink

Rapa Nui just showed on cable TV...HBO,MAX,SHOW, I forget, but it was an OK movie, and I'd recommend watching it once to draw your own conclusions. Alot of tribes, carving and mounting Moai, competition for the Birdman, and tribal wars.

The only things that really stood out badly in my opinion, were the english accents used, and one white skinned woman actress posing as a tribal chick. I would have rather enjoyed the movie a bit more if the actors were subtitled, and had used a more traditional tongue/dialect instead.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-28 5:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-28 14:55, drgoat456 wrote:
I came across a movie "Rapa Nui", produced by Kevin Costner while looking for something else. I put it on my que at Netflix, but they don't have it to send out yet, but you can watch it on instant play. Has anyone seen it? Is it worth the watch? Just watched "Once Were Warriors" again, if you haven't seen it, do so. It's about as emotionally gripping as a movie gets. (about a Maori family, in the "modern" world. Alcholism & wife abuse & family, and you would forget it for long while. It stars among others, the guy who played boba fet, in the most recent star wars movie. Everyone in it is outstanding.

[ This Message was edited by: drgoat456 2009-10-28 14:57 ]

I actually really liked Rapa Nui, despite the accents. And good call on Once Were Warriors. I've watched that one over and over.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-29 07:14 am   Permalink

umm yeah Bio-dome with pauly shore has a few tiki scenes - here are 2 there is another with the black and white tiki after their party where wax performs in the dome. These look like oceanic arts rentals to me...

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 09:47 am   Permalink

This one is on youtube and it looks like a Witco

worth watching the show for the mod props in the background.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-25 1:26 pm   Permalink

Big Joe on U-Tube! Yeaaah! I love watching the decor in 60s movies, too. I really should have become an art director, not a cinematographer. The few times I got to go into the prop houses in Hollywood, it blew my mind what treasures they have in there.

Actually, come to think of it, someone should shoot a stop-motion movie with all Witco Tikis and props as protagonists!

Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-01 11:42 am   Permalink

saw this while watching 3 stooges.

The Three Stooges - 149 - Pardon My Backfire (1953) (shemp, Moe, Larry,)

good times

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation