FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
Tikis in films
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 11:57 am   Permalink

Thunderbirds 2004.
Not a great flick but, as soon as I saw their house/HQ I knew there had to be tiki. Lots of PNG pieces. A turtle kava bowl. I spotted a tallish blurry tiki shaped thing in the background.
Somebody please post stills.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-09 10:00 pm   Permalink

I just saw MILK...the Sean Penn film about gay political activist Harvey Milk, and there was a tiki (that looked Crazy Al-ish actually) you could plainly see it in a panning shot of one character's apartment window/wall. This prolly happened around the 55 min mark.

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-07-09 22:01 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 10:22 pm   Permalink

Rainbow Island, 1944, Staring Dorthy Lamour, the Sarong Siren!

So, the Rainbow Island has some Tiki?

Who's this guy hanging out?

Some movie cards ...

Here is the movie write up I found on the net.

RAINBOW ISLAND (1944) PARAMOUNT Good cast of Mexican-American actresses playing natives with stranded merchant marines. Dorothy Lamour in sarong and her tongue in cheek. Also starring Eddie Bracken, Olga San Juan, Elena Verdugo and Yvonne De Carlo. Sounds like a South Seas must See. Navy men plane wrecked on an island of thinly clad women. Lagoon scene. Dorothy plays a haole believe it or not who had shipwrecked there earlier and has been taken in by the natives who of course give her sarongs. Costumes by Edith Head. Bad Art Direction, women have classic look but the men? Tikis. Maori and Aztec designs. Luau
feast. Hawaiian & Samoan words. Couples running off.

Anybody seen this one??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 12:22 am   Permalink

I'm pretty sure there are some nods to tiki in Joe VS the Volcano, but I haven't seen in in some time.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-19 8:21 pm   Permalink

I thought this one would have been posted.

Paul

My Brady Tiki Castings:

Clip from the show:

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 06:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-19 20:21, blacklagoon wrote:
I thought this one would have been posted.

It has been, several times, in this thread and in many others.

...or were you just looking for an excuse to show us your castings?...

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-20 2:22 pm   Permalink

Must have missed them, mine are not for sale.

Paul

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-20 14:22, blacklagoon wrote:
Must have missed them, mine are not for sale.

Paul

Quote:

On 2010-08-10 10:19, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Hey DC:

I'll have these for Oasis again this year. But that's not the only place to get them...

It's even easier to purchase them now through my etsy store:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HouseofBuzz

I still ship 1-2 days after payment is received and most US orders arrive in 2-3 days.

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy has some more for sale!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-09 10:44 pm   Permalink

Was watching UHF last night, and when George and Bob go to a bar to drink away there problems, George has a blueberry daiquiri in a bali hai mug. It's not a tiki bar scene per say, but I thought it was a nice touch. I'll dig up a picture of it soon.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-12 1:32 pm   Permalink

I saw this old Disney movie from the '70s 'Castaway Cowboy'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071288/

one brief tiki scene in the caves.

It was a cute light hearted movie, but I didn't care for the way the Hawai'ian people were portrayed in it.

View Profile of Bau Send a personal message to Bau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-09-13 12:17 am   Permalink

Found this vintage Japanese Monster Movie art in a book about artist Minamimura Takashi. Not sure which Gamera movie they're from, since the text is entirely in Japanese, but these were done in the 1960s. Pretty sure this is a tiki and not a Buddhist statue:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-13 03:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-13 00:17, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Found this vintage Japanese Monster Movie art in a book about artist Minamimura Takashi. Not sure which Gamera movie they're from, since the text is entirely in Japanese, but these were done in the 1960s. Pretty sure this is a tiki and not a Buddhist statue:

That monster is Barugon so this must be the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060446/

But I Don't remember the praying tiki in the movie.
Can't wait to check.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 10:38 am   Permalink

"Seven Women From Hell" starring Patricia Owens, Denise Darcel and Cesar Romero. 1961. Shot on Kaua'i.

When the Japanese invade New Guinea in 1942, Grace Ingram (Patricia Owens), an Australian member of a scientific expedition, is put in a women's detention camp. She shares her cell with six other women: Janet Cook (Yvonne Craig), a pregnant American teenager; Ann Van Laer (Sylvia Daneel), a tightlipped but sympathetic German widow; Claire Oudry (Denise Darcel), a French waitress; Mai-Lu Ferguson (Pilar Seurat), a Eurasian nurse; and two other Americans, Mara Shepherd (Margia Dean) and Regan (Evadne Baker).

During a bombing raid, Janet's baby is born dead and the humane Captain Oda (Bob Okazaki) is killed. Sergeant Takahashi (Richard Loo), his sadistic assistant, assumes command of the camp, and a friendly Japanese, Doctor Matsumo (Yuki Shimoda), helps the women escape.

Mara is recaptured and tortured to death, and Claire and Regan are killed by rifle fire. The surviving four encounter a wounded American flyer, Lt. Bill Jackson (John Kerr), who helps them make their way to the beach but dies before they can reach safety. A wealthy planter, Luis Hullman (Cesar Romero), finds the girls, feigns friendship, and then attempts to hand them over to the Japanese. But the women learn of his plan, kill him, and escape by boat to the Allied lines.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-10-06 12:46 am   Permalink

THE SPY IN THE GREEN HAT - A "Man from U.N.C.L.E" movie. 1966.

"Hunted nazi scientist Dr Kronen (Ludwig Donath) is recruited by THRUSH agent Louis Strago (Jack Pallance) to put a mastermind scheme into place. They plan to use heavy water to divert the Gulf stream causing Greenland to become a tropical paradise under THRUSH control while other areas fall into colder climates. UNCLE agents Napoleon Solo (Robert Vaughn) and Illya Kuryakin (David McCallum) are dispatched to stop the plot."

This movie is a visual feast and has a lot of campy fun going for it. It starts with a chase scene through the old Pacific Ocean Park, including the South Seas Island area.

... Plenty of things for the spies to spy on:

... Janet Leigh as the sexy, villainous secretary, Miss Diketon (yes, it's pronounced "Dick-e-ton"), who has a thing for stabbing folks with knives:

... Catfights:

(Note: it is important to get the Sonic Death Ray in the background during the cat-fight)

Jack Palance's character "Strago" lives in an Mad-Scientist meets Mid-Century-Modern lair, complete with bullet planters, tikis and monstera plants:

... and damsels chained to walls

He throws a swingin' luau-au-go-go at his pad to impress another THRUSH scientist:

Ah! So that's what those monkeypod bowls are for.

Note tiki on table

It is also very important to get the Sonic Death Ray in the same frame as the tiki, as it rotates slowly to the beat of a mambo.

Luckily UNCLE agents Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin put an end to his dastardly luau with the help of the Italian mafia, disguised as guards:

I can't recommend this movie enough.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-10-06 00:58 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 1:22 pm   Permalink

Notice the tiki on the taxi's hood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEEMJ5KQt2o

(from the movie Anna Lucasta, 1958)

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation