FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tikis in films
Josh D

Posted: 2010-10-14 2:07 pm   Permalink

Here's a link to my newest short film entitled "Save The Tiki".
How hard can it be to move a 40,000 pound tiki head? This is a short film about "Fini" manager of The Hut, a tiki bar in Tucson, AZ and his mission to save a 3 story high Moai tiki head from being destroyed and giving it a new home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1cyzycI7iM

View Profile of Josh D Send a personal message to Josh D  Goto the website of Josh D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-16 05:59 am   Permalink

From the movie "Get Yourself A College Girl"

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-16 07:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-16 05:59, bongofury wrote:

Wow. I just watched this and missed those tikis entirely. I'm losin' it!

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 07:33 am   Permalink

Bongo,

Cool scene. Any idea where the bar scene is from? A set or a real bar?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-18 10:19 am   Permalink

Jaws 3D, 1983. Shot at Seaworld Orlando.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Pat

Posted: 2010-10-18 10:39 am   Permalink

Don't know if this has already been posted, but a Tiki western. "Castaway Cowboy" by Disney with James Garner.

View Profile of Uncle Pat Send a personal message to Uncle Pat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-18 1:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-16 05:59, bongofury wrote:

Nice catch bongofury! 1964!

I've got an old
youtube clip posted from that flick, with a full dance scene in that club with a few cuts to the tikis. I'd say it's almost definitely a set. They're dancing to the Standells version of Bony Moronie. Incidentally, if anyone likes the Standells but isn't familiar with that version by them, I believe it's straight off their Live at PJ's record, which is before their Sunset Strip days.

Also, I think I'm imagining it, but it looks like Lori Williams of Faster Pussycat fame at around the 50 sec mark. Probably not I guess.

FWIW, I posted that clip a couple years ago on one of the youtube threads here on TC (not like everybody's supposed to be aware of every clip posted).

And I also did a youtube clip of the Astrud Gilberto / Stan Getz performance of Girl From Ipanema from the same movie. Kind of incongruous, but that's part of the fun with these movies!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-19 12:13 pm   Permalink

DC....think it is a set. Thanks for the youtube link Randy. The problem is once I get on that site I lose a couple of hours looking at videos. Here is a shot of the stage surrounded by Tikis...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Uncle Pat

Posted: 2010-10-21 7:14 pm   Permalink

I'm looking for a movie that has a sampan in it. In this case a sampan is not a boat, but a bus made from the front clip, fenders and frame of a car with a home made bus body added. They have a roof, but no windows. They were used in Hawaii in the 20's-50's( mostly Hilo) as public transportation and hotel/tourist vehicles. Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I thought it would be easier to explain up front.
Anyway I'm building one out of a 1940 Buick Limited and looking for pictures. I've gotten a few off the net, but I swear I saw one in a movie. It even had a thatched roof.
I thought it was "Blue Hawaii", but no watched it again yesterday. The scene is at a hotel and the car pulls up or is parked in front.
Have to make a Rum Barrel and think.
Any help would be appreciated.

View Profile of Uncle Pat Send a personal message to Uncle Pat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-22 11:07 am   Permalink

(Mentioned before by bongofury in another thread.)

Though this isn’t the actual image of a tiki….in “The Exorcist-The Version You've Never Seen”, when Reagan is being put through all of the medical testing, the music playing in the doctor’s office is a muzak version of “Quiet Village”.

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-30 7:41 pm   Permalink

So I've been taking a walk down memory lane via Hulu by watching the first film I worked on: Lord Of Illusions. Haven't seen it since the cast and crew showing many years ago, and not only is it bringing back a flood of memories - it has a few surprises as well!

What could that be lurking on the side table at Swann the magician's mansion?

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-04 09:32 am   Permalink

Here's is a scene from Troll where the possessed girl holds and Outrigger Mug, not quite a cimematic masterpiece but when you flip over the DVD and watch Troll 2 it's fricken Citizen Kane.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 10:07 am   Permalink

"Death Moon", 1978

Tiki werewolves...

... on a now lost Poly pop temple.

Quien da más?

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 10:19 am   Permalink

Never heard about this "gem"! The art is cool.

I do however recognize the credit to CFI: Consolidated Film Industries was the biggest independent film lab in Hollywood, they processed my movie "Mistress" too. The joke among cinematographers was that the letters C.F.I. stood for "Can't Find It", or alternatively "See If I care".

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-09 10:33 am   Permalink

Oh here it is on imdb.com:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077411/

And (reviewed by somebody from Hamburg!?) these aspects sound promising:

"...cheap werewolf costumes in seventies Hawaii cocktail lounge locations"

and

"...a weird electronic sound track and a stunning witch queen played by France Nuyen.."

Liat playing a Hawaiian witch queen? The innocence of Bali Hai lost forever....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation