FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Tikis in films
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 05:34 am   Permalink

don't know if this was mentioned and i'm too lazy to search but i rewatched "the game" with micheal douglas and sean penn.... in one scene they are in san franciso driving and at a stop light, you can see a huge poster in the shop across the street with a huge ku style tiki on it and nothing else.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-09 5:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-08 18:32, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

But as I've found several times in the past, the Spanish version of the movie poster often delivers:

Sabu,

I have noticed that as well, not just Spanish, but many other European movie posters with a South Seas theme add a Tiki.

Case in point - a South Pacific poster from Belgium with a Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PurpleXombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-11 3:06 pm   Permalink

1987's Back to the Beach starring Frankie and Annette! There are some Tiki totems in a few of the scenes and when they are in Connie Stevens's nightclub they are drinking from Tiki Bob mugs. Not to mention, it's a hilarious movie.

View Profile of PurpleXombie Send a personal message to PurpleXombie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 4:13 pm   Permalink

I hit the Long Pork Tiki jackpot the other night in the British horror anthology "Tales That Witness Madness" (1973). In the 4th segment "Luau"..."literary agent Auriol Pageant (Kim Novak) lasciviously courts a new client Kimo (Michael Petrovich), however he shows more interest in her beautiful young daughter Ginny (Mary Tamm). Auriol organises a sumptuous luau for him per the detailed instructions of Kimo's associate Keoki (Leon Lissek). However, it is actually a ceremony to reincarnate Kimo's deceased mother Malia (Zohra Segal), and a requirement is that the flesh of a virgin be consumed."

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-28 7:16 pm   Permalink

<Homer Simpson voice> Mmmmmm, virrrginnn...

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 12:44 pm   Permalink

Anybody seen Cars 2? This was shown before the movie...

http://www.pixar.com/shorts/hv/index.html

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-29 9:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-28 16:13, MrBaliHai wrote:

I hit the Long Pork Tiki jackpot the other night in the British horror anthology "Tales That Witness Madness" (1973)...

MrBaliHai, that movie looks FANTASTIC !! Thank you.

Here's another movie from the 1970's that features a enormous Tiki. It stars the late great John Holmes (aka Johnny Wadd).

Unfortunately I don't think the screen caps would be appropriate to post here on TC...

And to be honest, I wish the inclusions on this thread (and also on the televison one) would just reference pre-Tiki Revival content.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chrisc
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-30 3:08 pm   Permalink

It's up!
Omoo Omoo The Shark God on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N55hlcEy8Po

View Profile of Chrisc Send a personal message to Chrisc  Goto the website of Chrisc     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 12:36 pm   Permalink

Harper (1966) starring Paul Newman. There's a very brief scene (18 seconds) with a glimpse of two tikis outside a building where Newman has gone to visit a lawyer played by Arthur Hill.

The camera tilts down the exterior of a very nondescript building - looks like it could even be a parking garage that was dressed for the movie.

The marquee of the building shows part of a neon sign reading "the MID..."

Newman and Hill exit

They meet Pamela Tiffin

Newman, Tiffin and Robert Wagner get into a waiting limo and drive off.

Anyone recognize this building (or the tikis)? Did it really have these tikis in front of it or were they put there for this movie?

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2011-08-01 12:39 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 12:43 pm   Permalink

VERY cool! Those are classic Milan Guanko Tikis...but the building - no idea, you might be right that they were put there as props. But if so, WHY?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 1:10 pm   Permalink

I was watching this movie this weekend, the building was Miramar Hotel in Santa Monica on the corner of Ocean and Wilshire. It is called Fairmont Miramar now.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 1:20 pm   Permalink

Tikis for Tiki-Jo ??...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33906&forum=2

Now that Hiltiki pointed it out, that does look like Ocean Ave near Palisades Park.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-01 13:27 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 1:25 pm   Permalink

Yes indeeeed, Bingo! How exciting, it's all coming together now, gotta love TC!

But WHY did they switch ONE Guanko with TWO other Guankos!!?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 1:58 pm   Permalink

According to Ben's Eli Scrapbook ad, the Miramar added the tower in 1959:

The cars in JP's slide all look '59 and older, so we can establish that the Gilligan's Tiki was the original Tiki there:

The movie Harper being from 1966 gives it 7 years where lots could have happened to that Tiki to warrant two new ones to appear in its place.

I saw that movie over ten years ago, but I always remember that "used coffee filter" opening sequence

ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-13 9:01 pm   Permalink

Behold, the fabled Moais of British Columbia! The will save us from the planet vacuuming dark star pinwheel in space.

Doomsday Prophecy (2011)

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation