FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
Tikis in films
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-10 4:53 pm   Permalink

I watched the movie "Be Cool" this week and there was a brief scene in a tiki-themed nudie/burlesque bar. I think it was the Pussycat Dolls performing per the credits but not sure if that was their regular venue. Wasn't there a mention here before of a tiki-themed nudie bar in So Cal?

It was a pretty cool set up; and I ain't just talking bout the goils...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-10 10:15 pm   Permalink

DG#'s~ too funny! we just watched that movie tonite. i think that was a set and not a real strip club. (those looked like the rental tikis at OA to me) but that is just my opinion and that is definately not full proof. maybe one of tha so-cal locals can look at OA's list of movie credits for us.

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-10 10:27 pm   Permalink

Peter Sellers, A SHOT IN THE DARK (Pink Panther Film). Inspector Closeau spents a night out with Maria Gambrelli and takes here to a number of restaurants one of which was a hawaiian/polynesian tiki styled establishment. The killer tries to assasinate closeau with a blow dart

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-12 04:46 am   Permalink

One of my most favorite recent movies is The Big Bounce. It is not a great movie but being set on the north shore(at least most of it is, there are shots of Hawaii that are definitely not the north shore, but there are Tikis everywhere. Having lived in Hawaii twice (on the big Island and Oahu) it is strange, I never saw that many tikis. In fact the only ones I recal were at the Polynesian Cultural Center and I think International Market Place in Waikiki.

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-12 10:17 am   Permalink

I just saw "closer" last night starring queen amidala/matilda, alphie, king arthur and "pretty woman".

anyway, in the London aquarium scene, julia roberts is sitting in front of a tank that has two giant moais under water.

can any of our london based TCer's confirm or disconfirm that those moais really are in the tank at the london aquarium? (or if it was really filmed there?)

pretty cool tank.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-12 10:49 am   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1976&forum=1

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-13 1:14 pm   Permalink

Speaking of tikis in fish tanks, there is nothing like the ones in the dentist's office in Finding Nemo

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RemyC
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-13 7:34 pm   Permalink

check here:
http://us.imdb.com/find?q=tiki;tt=on;nm=on;mx=20
or do keyword search: tiki on the imdb website, and you will get a list of films and even actors with tiki in their name.

[ This Message was edited by: RemyC 2005-07-08 00:56 ]

View Profile of RemyC Send a personal message to RemyC  Email RemyC Goto the website of RemyC     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SwampCreature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-22 12:18 am   Permalink

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! HUBBA, HUBBA!!!! BOING, BOING!!!! Seriously though, "Curse of the Swamp Creature". The Tiki has a fairly prominent role. Don't you people ever watch "bad" films??

View Profile of SwampCreature Send a personal message to SwampCreature      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 12:36 am   Permalink

I saw 'His Majesty O'Keefe' yesterday with Burt Lancaster, quite a few Tiki sightings.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-05 8:36 pm   Permalink

I watched the movie "A Guy Thing" an it is devoid of tiki except for the first 5 minutes. Those minutes are packed with tiki.

A band with a erupting volcano on the stage with them, tikis with glowing eyes. Luahula matting on all the walls, velvet paintings on the walls. My question is "is it all too good to be true?"

Is there a bar called the "Hula Lounge" in Seattle or is it a product of Hollywood. I live on the East coast so forgive me if it is some famous place everyone on the forum knows about.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-05 10:34 pm   Permalink

There is a large Moai-like tiki statue in Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N., that looks like the ones in Tiki Gardens. IIRC, Dick van Dyke is launching rockets out of it's mouth to spook some natives.

And, of course, there is a fabulous Tiki restaurant in Blue Hawaii. I can't remember if there are actually tikis in the restaurant, but there are lots of references to mai tais in the film!

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-06 02:06 am   Permalink

I watched "One night at McCools" the other night and it had the Bamboo/resin panels and lamps as seen at The lucky Tiki and I think afew other bars we visited whilst in LA.
Are these common? from OA?

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-06 2:51 pm   Permalink

A nice movie, lots of action to keep the kids entertained, at the end they end up in New Zealand at a Maori village. They show plenty of tikis, carvings and some Maori doing a challenge chant dance. Although the natives in Chile and New Zealand are made to look sort of boobish at the expense of some lame comic relief. Still worth checking out.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki 2005-10-19 09:52 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 5:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-06-12 04:46, nuimaleko wrote:
One of my most favorite recent movies is The Big Bounce. It is not a great movie but being set on the north shore(at least most of it is, there are shots of Hawaii that are definitely not the north shore, but there are Tikis everywhere.

One of the opening scenes has two enourmous tikis at the property line between the patio and the sand.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation