FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Tikis in films
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-31 11:23 pm   Permalink

Came across this movie poster for Primitive Love starring Jayne Mansfield.

Never thought of Jayne as the exotic girl, but she can fill out a hula skirt.

Some campy photos from the movie can be seen here:
http://buncheness.blogspot.com/2010/04/gettin-primitive-with-jayne-mansfield.html

Leopard suit?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-01 12:08 am   Permalink

Jayne Mansfield Grrrrr Hubba Hubba!

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 11:31 pm   Permalink

Great poster DC. Thanks for sharing.

Just picked up a good movie BATTLESHIP which was just released last week. Here's a couple of screen shots in a tiki bar which was filmed in SoCal somewhere. Looks like a regular bar with some South Seas tiki dressing.

Modern tiki mask under beer sign

Smaller tiki on counter behind Taylor Kitsch

Exterior of tiki bar with same modern tiki masks (just smaller) hanging on each side of front door

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-10 12:29 pm   Permalink

The 1960 Billy Wilder movie 'The Apartment' has a great scene in a NYC Chinese restaurant called the Rickshaw. There is a tiki front and center and another one by the door. The decor in the restaurant is awesome, I wish it was in color.

This link takes you to a clip from the movie.

www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/205778/Apartment-The-Movie-Clip-I-Saw-My-Lawyer.html

This website mentions the restaurant, The Rickshaw. www.filmsite.org/apar2.html

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-10 1:19 pm   Permalink

tikilongbeach, You found one of the seminal movies of "Mid Century Modern cinema"
(And well documented here in the other movie threads) where the Chinese/Tiki restaurant
in The Apartment is a key location for the story.

Also of note is "The Apartment" is one of two movies that is a direct influence for "Madmen"
the other being "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" it's no coincidence "Robert Morse"
was also cast in "Madmen"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2012-09-10 1:32 pm   Permalink

I searched for 'The Apartment' because I thought it would've already been discussed, but nothing came up on TC.
Did the interior Chinese restaurant actually exist or was it a set? I've searched on the internet for the Rickshaw Restaurant and didn't find anything. Of course I know that the outside of one building is frequently used as the front of something filmed on set or in a completely different location. The magic of the movies...
The movies you listed are great.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-10 4:03 pm   Permalink

The location shooting for "The Apartment" took place here:

205 Columbus Avenue, New York City, New York, USA
59th Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Majestic Theater, 247 West 44th Street, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
New York City, New York, USA

Interior Sets, Office, Apartment,etc. were shot here:
The Lot - 1041 N. Formosa Avenue, West Hollywood, California, USA

It is believed but unconfirmed the Chinese Restaurant exterior is another restaurant in N.Y. city
and the interior was a set, I am still looking for the info if this is true.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-10 4:11 pm   Permalink

I did come across this in the N.Y. Times archive:

The exterior scenes of the Chinese restaurant are listed as
The "Emerald Inn" at 205 Columbus Avenue and West 69th Street, Manhattan

It is possible they used the same restaurant for interior shots also?

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2012-09-10 4:14 pm   Permalink

It's been discussed before -

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30762&forum=1

No reason not to add to it though.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2012-09-10 5:46 pm   Permalink

Cool, thank you for the link to the previous discussion. That was very helpful.
The opening credit scene in Bell, Book and Candle with the mix of Oceanic and African art was the movie that spurred my interest. Gillian's apartment is awesome.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-15 3:09 pm   Permalink

THE APARTMENT great movie great tiki bar. The movie, as one can see by the following screen shots, is worth another mention.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-16 2:13 pm   Permalink

Nice frame captures, CN.

I just watched a terrific/ terrible Hammer production from 1965 called "SHE"on U-Tube....

I got sucked into it by its classic Ooga Booga dance scene in the title sequence:

...and before I knew, I saw some familiar faces in the crowd: The Maori Tikis from BOTH sets depicted in this post:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14685&forum=1&vpost=629073

This Mayfair Beachcomber "glowing eyes" mask close up tipped me of:

...and this full figure shot above, both are of the same Maori Tiki than the one used on the Avengers set.
And these Maori poles below...

...are definitely from the "Cracksman" Tiki Club entrance shown in my earlier post.

The Hammer film was shot at Elstree Studios, also. When viewing the film it becomes obvious that the art director used a lot of props and costumes from Roman and Egyptian Cloak & Dagger films from the Elstree art department, so why go anywhere else for the "native" idols.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-09-16 15:16 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-16 11:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-16 14:13, bigbrotiki wrote:
The Hammer film was shot at Elstree Studios, also. When viewing the film it becomes obvious that the art director used a lot of props and costumes from Roman and Egyptian Cloak & Dagger films from the Elstree art department, so why go anywhere else for the "native" idols.

..ummm...rather make that "Sword & Sandal" films...ya know, one of those weapon/costume genres - easy to mix up!

Here's the link for "SHE":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K0ccITGZg8&feature=related

The native dance troupe is credited as the OO-BLA-DA Dancers

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-16 11:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

That is really quite something! Mahalo Sven

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-17 11:11 am   Permalink

Speaking of the Avengers. I couldn't find this photo in a search.
Interesting group of Tikis. I'm not familiar with this episode. I've had this 8x10 for 20 years.
Almost as old as this photo was when I purchased it. It seemed so vintage back then.

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation