FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 ) Remove Highlighting
Tikis in films
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-13 4:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Later in the film Edmond O'Brien is on the run through downtown L.A.
and you get a shot of Clifton's then on to the Bradbury Building for the big showdown.

Huh, I missed the shot of Clifton's. Have to go back and rewatch that scene. My daughter and I stopped by the Bradbury Building last Summer. Pretty impressive.

The scene at The Fisherman's is supposedly the first depiction of Beatnik culture in film.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 08:04 am   Permalink

Underworld U.S.A. with Cliff Robertson. It's a 1961 American neo-noir film produced, written and directed by Samuel Fuller. It tells the story of a fourteen-year-old boy who goes to enormous lengths to get revenge against the mobsters who beat his father to death.

Fight in a gangster's apartment that is decorated with modern art and Polynesian and African carvings.

A bunch of gangster's sitting around a coffee table with a carved Tangaroa.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-25 08:20 am   Permalink

Those figures remind me of some of the carvings at the Mai-Kai. The stances of the figures are also very similar.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-25 12:14 pm   Permalink

Lori! showing some "Samuel Fuller" love.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frymyeyes

Posted: 2014-08-04 6:01 pm   Permalink

I watched Joe Swanberg's "Happy Christmas" recently and it featured a pretty amazing tiki lounge basement. Apparently, Mr. Swanberg filmed in his own Chicago-area home which had the lounge when he purchased the home. It's worth watching just for that but it's also just a fun, little film so check it out!

View Profile of frymyeyes Send a personal message to frymyeyes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
louisprima
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-04 11:19 pm   Permalink

Plenty of tikis in my documentary "Mai-tais, Toques and Tikis"!!!

Check it out here:
https://gumroad.com/mtt

View Profile of louisprima Send a personal message to louisprima  Email louisprima     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-05 04:32 am   Permalink

Would you be willing to post some teaser screen captures from your documentary? I'm sure it's a good production, but I haven't been enticed enough yet to plunk down the cash to stream or download the film from your site. I am very curious to learn more about the tiki scene in Canada - I'm sure there are some very good tiki things to see up there. Thanks!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 05:52 am   Permalink

"The Hawaiians" (1970)

Little-known film based on the later chapters of James Michener's "Hawaii". Starring Chuck Heston as Whipple "Whip" Hoxworth. My review is here on Letterboxd:

http://letterboxd.com/mrbalihai/film/the-hawaiians/

There's only one scene that features tikis...a big letdown from "Hawaii" (1966), which was chockablock with them: Whip discusses his part-Hawaiian wife's frigidity and deteriorating mental state with his family doctor, in a study decorated with the handsome fellow seen in the screencap above.

If anyone's interested, I also maintain a list of Tiki films on Letterboxd:

http://letterboxd.com/mrbalihai/list/tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki-tiki-films/

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2014-08-16 05:54 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 04:05 am   Permalink

Les soleils de l'Ile de Pâques (The Suns of Easter Island) 1972

Film about an international group of travelers who trek around the world, from France to Brazil and Chile and, finally, to Easter Island, where some of their number are chosen to meet aliens who resemble small suns. One man who was not chosen tags along uninvited. For punishment, he is given the task of guarding the site until the next visit, some 500 years hence.

Subtitled version viewable on YouTube.

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2014-08-19 04:14 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 11:32 pm   Permalink

Harper with Paul Newman. 21 minute mark. Two Bumatay (?) Tiki flank a hotel entrance. It's LA with palm
Trees. Can see "The Mi.." on the sign... Happy sleuthing...

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2014-09-12 23:33 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 11:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-12 23:32, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Harper with Paul Newman. 21 minute mark. Two Bumatay (?) Tiki flank a hotel entrance. It's LA with palm
Trees. Can see "The Mi.." on the sign... Happy sleuthing...

The Miramar Hotel, home of the Tiki Jo restaurant.

And this guy!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 11:50 pm   Permalink

Also covered in this thread already.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=302&forum=1&start=390

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 04:18 am   Permalink

Couple shots from Warren Beatty's tiki apartment/hotel in THE PARALLAX VIEW

In the lobby with sleazy manager:

In hotel room with lovely Paula Prentiss:

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation