FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 2:32 pm   Permalink

Happy Halloween all, And thanks for the great comments and compliments, they are good motivation.
Tucson Tiki, here's a Pic of my Hookknive and two other tools i use for the small work. I read about it from Benzart, who shows there are some mean and sharp types around. He also had warned about these B#st@rds having a taste for fingers and sting badly. Of course i had to find out the bad way how that feels. So if you are gonna use one of these, use a protective glove on the hand holding the project. Or else earn your first carvers medal, having a scar to show for all the hard work you put in.

Benzart, Thanks for the comments, i have read a lot of your postings on carving and they are a great help for first timers. I will try and find a hookknive shaped like yours, it looks useful.

Here's a pic of the pendant after staining and adding some beads.

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 9:25 pm   Permalink

Grapa-RuHa, Those little knives are the worst for fingers. Part of my carving kit includes super-glue for those nasty nicks. After you clean the cut just put a little super-glue along the edge and push closed. No more blood on the carving. Great new carving by the way.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucson Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 09:01 am   Permalink

Thanks for the reply and pics. I now know. Looks painful. Can't wait to get some.

View Profile of Tucson Tiki Send a personal message to Tucson Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 04:06 am   Permalink

Aloha, here's another small guy. I thought i'd try some maori style carving for a pendant. I could use some smaller knifes to carve the small lines as i was about to toss this guy in the fireplace halfway trough cutting the lines on his face. Glad i didn't as i learned a lot pushing myself to finish him.
And some paintings i did a while ago. Enjoy and thanks for watching.

Skull painting

Thought Worm painting

[ This Message was edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2008-11-05 04:12 ]

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 08:03 am   Permalink

The small lines you want are easier than you think. After sanding the surface smooth cut you lines using a sharp blade. Don't worry about making them as wide as what you have now. A single line cut into the smotth surface will pop once you put stain on it. The stain will soak into the thin line and become darker than the surface. Keep chopping!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 08:55 am   Permalink

Nice display of the hook knives. I only have one - an Xacto version that doesn't seem to be all that sharp for some reason.

Great paintings! I love the background on the skull. Really cool. Some process pics of that would be great!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 10:11 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tip AlohaStation, i'll try it out next time.
Big T, thanks for your compliments on the paintings. And i am sorry to say i don,t have any progress pics on my paintings. But i can tell you i learned a lot on cloudy backgrounds by watching Bob R. swing his brush.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 02:35 am   Permalink

More Nice stuff GR, your Maori guy, though rough, he has a Really tough looking, scary features and the human look is spot on. Excellent stuff in him! Your other works are good too, keep doing more and More and More and...

Oh, I Almost forgot, I wanted to add links to This blade
and this set

You can find them
HERE but it is not really a user friendly page so first on this page look for the"Shop Online" Button on the top left and then find the heading"Carving Blades & Knives" and you will see several options including a 6 blade assortment which ha 3 hook blades of different sizes. they are all useful but the best, most used one will be the "10B" with it's 7/8" radius. Once you get used to it you'll find it works the best. Then look for the heading "Warren Handles" to find a great assortment of handles that work with all those blades. (No I don't work for them! )
A BIG TIP when using the hook blade, BefORE you make the cut, LOOK at the projected path of the blade should it continue past where you intended the cut to stop. ANYTHING within that pathway WILL get CUT if it slips past that spot. Lesson? Make sure NO Digits are in that projected pathway and there will be NO Blood.
Hope this helps

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2008-11-07 02:56 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-11 12:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments Ben, after i bought some books on oceanic art the fierce human look of the maori carvings left a deep impression. To explore the human-tiki look a little more i decided to try and carve a Moai in my own style. Started him last Sunday, first pics are from this morning. Carved some more today and spent most of today sanding.

Another painting from a couple of years ago

Log found in the woods. Helped it get rid of its could and wet coat and gave it a dry spot in the shed.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-11 1:30 pm   Permalink

That new Moai has great character and expression! Well done!

That skull painting, you should check out Clysdalle's paintings thread. you two might be brothers!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-11 6:06 pm   Permalink

Welcome, you have some great first tikis here and
it looks like your hooked now.
Enjoy

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-11 7:27 pm   Permalink

Lookin Gooder and Gooder.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 12:27 am   Permalink

This moai is really cool.
Hats off, Sir.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 08:18 am   Permalink

Very nice Moai! Nice detail. Happy Carving!

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 08:19 am   Permalink

Sorry, double post.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikilizard 2008-11-12 08:20 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation