FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 09:29 am   Permalink

Nice Moai! New, unique design. And just when I think no one else can come up with a new take on it!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-13 02:12 am   Permalink

Wow, all your comments and compliments are a big motivation to push on. Thanks to you all for that.
4WD, Thanks for finding my long lost brother in art but i think we have both been influenced by the same 60's/70's poster artist on the way we paint our skulls.
Seeksurf, looking at what i have carved over a 20 day period, I must be hooked. But it's my best addiction so far.
Benz, Benella and Tikilizard, thank you
BigT, thanks for calling it unique, that totally made my day.

I have given the Moai a Moko and a first layer of stain.
Pics of the finish will follow soon

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 01:55 am   Permalink

After staining this guy I had to get some work done. After work i went to see The Mansfields rock out at our local venue. And let me tell you, if you like your Rock loud,mean,fast and dirty (think ramones,misfits,cramps)you should attend one of their gigs. This was one of their last european gigs, so they should be back in Colorado pretty soon. When someone passed me a beer and asked me how my tiki carving was going i realized i had forgotten to take pics of the stained Moai. So after the show i rode my bike back to the shop and took him home for a late night fotoshoot. So without further ado, here's the Moai all stained and i am really pleased with the result. The only thing I'm still debating is if i should make his eye complete with an iris or to leave it the way it is. Any comments on that are welcome.
Enjoy and thanks for watching.

[ This Message was edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2008-11-14 02:18 ]

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 06:24 am   Permalink

Sweet looking Moai grapa - I kinda like how he looks cool and relaxed as he is. Nice stain job.

cheers.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 07:49 am   Permalink

Grapa, That is a great piece of work! The tat's are perfect for the face. I have never seen a Moai with an eye but you pulled it off perfectly. I would leave it just the way it is. An iris would make him look to human and the way you have it now makes him look very "other worldly". Sweet!

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 08:17 am   Permalink

WoW! great job man this is poppig now!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 1:13 pm   Permalink

Fabulous Grapa!

Nice details

Nice colour

All around envious

Mc

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 02:39 am   Permalink

Aloha and thank you all for your comments and compliments. I have decided to leave him as is and give him two layers of finish. The idea of a moai with eye is not as original as some of you may think. On this piece i was very much inspired by Benzard's Moai/Moko work as wel as some books i have on oceanic art.
Having it on display at my shop has generated some great reactions, and people who are familiar with my 2D work immediately recognize it as my style. Time to start something new.
Greetz,
Pat

Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 05:56 am   Permalink

I started on a new small guy trying to carve a full body. I think its good practice for bigger stuff i will attempt in the future (when summer returns most likely). He has changed a little since I took these pics. I made the head a little rounder and spent a lot of time sanding and sanding some more.
Thanks for watching and helpful pointers and critique.

hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 3:29 pm   Permalink

Keep up the great work !

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-20 11:55 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Hodad,
The little guys body turned out quite good, but as i was carving his face, a wipe out with the hook knife messed up his eye pretty bad. So as not to get frustrated with this, I decided to start on a pendant that a customer commissioned. It was meant to look like the first pendant i did but since that was one of my first small carvings and I learned a lot since I decided to make him a new one. Now he has something to choose.

Now back to saving the small guy.
Thanks for watching.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 01:42 am   Permalink

Excellent lines on that Moko, you made a difficult task look easy!
Your smaller pendants are good too but will get much better when you find the real hook blade, excellent look though, keep up the good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-22 05:54 am   Permalink

Good start on the small full-body Grapa-RuHa...don't get too discouraged
by the slip of the knife. As a wise man (Benzart) once told us in
Tennessee Carving Skool...if you make a mistake on one side...do the
same thing on the other side. Your carvings are coming along nicely...
keep chizzlin'.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-22 12:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benzart, thats a big compliment as it was a hard task and i have been sweating and cursing my way trough my 'good' plan to give this guy a Moko.
I'll get the right hook knife in a while, but since my girl and me are expecting our second child within the next couple of weeks my mind is not set on tool expansion.
Though the glasses you posted got me thinking, i used them doing touch up on negative film for the print industries.

Here are some pics of the finished small tang. Thanks for the nice comment Conga, that Benzart dude is pretty smart for his age I want carving skool to.

benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 01:09 am   Permalink

Nice new piece.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation