FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 03:38 am   Permalink

Well sometimes those "Good" plans turn out a but different than than we thought but it really boils down to biting off more than we can chew and then Chewing it and you did that with Excellent results. The best way to learn more in carving is to tackle things that are beyond your skill level, then Finishing them. Usually the results will be surprising. Your latest guy is good and the inlays really helped give him some character.
Keep it up and you'll be a carver one of these dayz

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 09:36 am   Permalink

Nice Work, Grapa!

I'm really diggin the small guy and the pendant. I just bought a hook knife myself and haven't tried to use it yet for fear of whacking a finger. Guess its kinda silly I'll use chainsaws at unnatural angles all day but the hook knife is scaring me. Anyways, good lookin stuff!!! I look forward to seeing more soon.

The moko on that guy is just absolutely phenomenal!!! Great spacing, outstanding flow, really pleasing to the eye.

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-22 05:54, congatiki wrote:
...if you make a mistake on one side...do the
same thing on the other side.

LOL!!! I had a drum instructor tell me virtually the same thing about repeating flubs to make them seem intentional!

Fine results my friend. I love these things to look well travelled.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-29 12:53 pm   Permalink

Hey guys, mahalo's for all your nice comments. I did not get around to doing or posting any new work or comments or anything because this kept me busy the last couple of days...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30563&forum=15&2
I will be enjoying family life for a couple of days and will get back to you in a while.

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 11:48 am   Permalink

Again Mahalo's for all the nice comments.
Benz, thanks for your compliments and comments. Biting off more than i can chew has taught me a lot of valuable lessons. Being a stubborn sod can be used to ones own advantage and it seems to be whats needed to become a carver of any skill.

Tyler, Thanks for being so lyrical on the moko. Now put the chainsaw and the hook knife next to each other and think about what damage each one could do should things go wrong. Cutting your self on the hook knife hurts like #@$% but can usually be solved with some super glue and/or a band aid. The chainsaw could turn u in an armless skater in seconds. And if u do a search and read Benzart's advice on use and safety about the hook knife you will be fine.

Hodad, Thank you. You are one of my heroes with what you carve.

Well since our newborn son is real easy going. Just like his dad, all you have to do is make sure he is not hungry and everything is fine. I thought i would post my first commissioned carve. It went in the mail last Thursday and will be used as a shifter knob on a motorcycle.

Thanks for watching

[ This Message was edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2008-12-02 11:52 ]

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 5:08 pm   Permalink

Wow - love your stuff! great progress from your first guys to your Moai, I love how the detail on him turned out! Great paintings too!

Quote:

On 2008-11-07 02:35, Benzart wrote:
A BIG TIP when using the hook blade, BefORE you make the cut, LOOK at the projected path of the blade should it continue past where you intended the cut to stop. ANYTHING within that pathway WILL get CUT if it slips past that spot. Lesson? Make sure NO Digits are in that projected pathway and there will be NO Blood.

That's the best lesson I learned from Benzart - and it kept me cut free for 2 years. I got sloppy recently and gave myself a little cut when my blade slipped. Be careful, but it is a great tool!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-03 08:34 am   Permalink

Nice lines on this guy. Keep them comming.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-07 12:46 pm   Permalink

Mahalo's Mieko and Seeksurf for your nice comments.
As most starting carvers I too am searching for logs to get more practice in carving. And like i said to some others here I thought it was best to tell anyone I know I am looking for logs of any kind to carve.
Well it seems to work as one of my good friends, one of the few people i know that has a taste for Tiki and actually has built his own Tiki bar, dropped of these.

And another friend send me a mail about to logs lying around at his work for a while. And he will ask his boss if i can have them. So I'll stick to my advice. Tell anyone you meet you need logs.
Until commercials like this start turning up for real
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPHtKarae2Q

Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 12:50 pm   Permalink

Aloha friends,
With the whether being cold, wet and miserable. All carving has to be done inside. So i got me some cheap ass burs and tried carving a tang from a stone from the roof of my shed. Lets see if I need to buy some new roof grid to fill empty spots in a while. Carving stone is fun.
Hope you enjoy this first piece of try out. And thanks for watching

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 07:28 am   Permalink

RuHa, Nice Shifter Knob for the Cycle!, Love how you finished it off with the shading too. Your first stone is Excellent. Minimal carving to get the exact feeling across and Perfect shape chosen for that face. If I were you I'd go ahead and order another couple tons of that stuff for your roof, I think you'll need it. Welcome to the stoner world.
(Thanks for the well wishes too.)

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 2:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benzart, your comments made my day today. The shifter was my first carve in decent hardwood. great carving fun. And now i have to tell my mom I became a stoner, or i'll just wait till she sees me stealing stones from peoples driveways and roofs
Here's the pics of nr. 2 (another Tang) and 3(Maori inspired Moko)

And some non Tiki painting called "going nowhere fast, never felt this good!".
Enjoy, and thanks for watching.

[ This Message was edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2008-12-18 14:47 ]

Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 12:55 am   Permalink

Aloha, here's a pic i got from my shifter mounted on the motorcycle. It makes me really proud and happy to hear from people they like the stuff i carve for them. Got a new commission on a set of Tiki valve caps yesterday.

And some pics off a new stone piece i just finished and plan to use as a headpiece on my next Tiki

Thanx for watching

tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-24 01:12 am   Permalink

Nice skull piece there and tini, can't wait to see in on a tiki.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-24 04:42 am   Permalink

YES, I can't Believe how you have just Jumped into the Rock world and doing it Nicely too I must say. That skull is Very nice.

s!q
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-24 3:14 pm   Permalink

that rock skull is awesome!!! what tools are you using? any work bench pics? heh, keep up the good work and photo updates.

View Profile of s!q Send a personal message to s!q      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation