FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-25 1:42 pm   Permalink

Thank you for all your nice comments, they always help me do some more work.
Tikipaka, Thanks here's a pic of the Tang with the skull in place. Hope the wait wasn't to long

Benz, Thank you for the kind words, I am quite amazed myself at how my stones turn out. I'm really having fun doing them, so I give them a lot of attention and take my time doing them.
Who knows, i might get good at this stone thing but it will be another 1000 pieces give or take.
Oh well someone just passed me a piece of bone

S!q, thank you and welcome on board. If you check the beginning date of my threat (23 October 2008) and i tell you thats about when i started carving. You will probably understand i don't have that much tools.
For carving logs i use a set of 4 chisels bought for 40 bucks at a hardware store.
For carving small pieces of wood i use the tools you see on page 2 of my threat. I use the middle one the most. And Benzart wrote some good stuff on hook knifes and such.
For my stone work (well i'm on nr.5 right now) I use a dremmel and some diamond burs.
The rest i use is sanding paper, sander and some files.
I don't have a work bench so i put my logs on a stool or something that keeps them in place. Small wood is held in my left hand. And when i'm doing a stone i sit at the kitchen sink.
Hope this helps you on your way, don't be a stranger and feel free to ask any question you have

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-26 08:53 am   Permalink

Very nice work an this last one Grapa.
Can you show more pix of his body that looks kind of very nice too ?

Benjamin.

P.S: Congratulations about the baby ! I should have written that thing a long time ago.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-26 09:40 am   Permalink

Aloha,love your Tang and your skull work is very kool.I really like your skull designs, their very primitive looking,awesome dude!

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-26 09:54 am   Permalink

Nice thread, Grapa!

It was cool to see how quickly you developed from a novice to a craftsman.

That Moai head is really beautiful!

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-26 10:41 am   Permalink

Great Work on the stones I like!
Love the shifter on the bike very cool.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 11:14 am   Permalink

Aloha friends,
Best wishes for this year, I know I'm late with this but there's some business trouble in my life I have to sort. So I hope you all understand my time here will be limited the next few weeks/months.

Any way, on to some lighter subject matter.
Thanks for the compliments Benella, that last guy is still in progress sort of so more pics will follow in the near future i guess.
Thanks Mudbone I have been painting and drawing skulls for a long time.
Thanks Kountzyro, working hard is the only way to become a craftsman, Im not there jet.
Thanks Seeksurf, I am so proud of the shifter.

Now here's something completely different. A friend of mine mailed me that he had bought two Tiki molds of the web. One to produce concrete Tiki and one to produce Tiki candles. Me being a chocaholic suggested he'd make them in chocolat as a joke. But low and behold, yesterday he called me to see if i was home because he wanted to drop something of.

These are both about 7" high and 3" wide and made solid. I love them
My only dilemma is, do I enjoy their taste or should I enjoy their esthetic's
Help

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 1:20 pm   Permalink

Wow, I don't know which way I'd go either, Cannibals Unite, Take a Bite, C'mon, just one.
Excellent tikis!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-09 12:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha fellow TCers.
I hope I didn't give anyone the munchies with my last post
Benz, it never stops at just one bite, so I got some cookies to distract my stomach.

When i finished the skull Tang I thought of Lakesurfer's "Fire of Fatu Hiva", and how nice that would work on this cute face. So I contacted Lake and he had no problem with me using his idea. So here are the update pics of the Skull Tang holding a big tea light. He will stay in our living room for the winter and will go out on the deck next summer.

And as promised a few posts ago, I carved some bone. I tried a Hei-Matau.

I like bone as it's easy to shape. This was a bone from the soup as a try out piece. Next time I will use some properly cleaned bone as I learned from googeling you should never cook a bone to clean it. I will post some of what I learned about cleaning bone in the bone thread soon
Thanx for watching.

[ This Message was edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2009-01-09 12:51 ]

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-09 6:25 pm   Permalink

Such good stuff! The bone came out great! Good detail, design, nice job. Me want CHOCOLATE! Mass produce them, send them to TC'ers and we'll ALL be cannibals!!! YEAHHHHHHHH

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 01:57 am   Permalink

Hey Grapa, happy new year.

The skull Tangaroa/tea candle holder is amazing work my friend.
What kind of wood was that ?

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 07:05 am   Permalink

More Very nice stuff, the bone piece came out great especially for your first one.
Check out Pet Smart ant those stores for already cleaned dog bone. $1.99 for a 4" chunk of beef leg bone, look for the heaviest there and the thickest. You will see many varied shapes and thicknesses.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

Now here's something completely different. A friend of mine mailed me that he had bought two Tiki molds of the web. One to produce concrete Tiki and one to produce Tiki candles. Me being a chocaholic suggested he'd make them in chocolat as a joke. But low and behold, yesterday he called me to see if i was home because he wanted to drop something of.

These are both about 7" high and 3" wide and made solid. I love them
My only dilemma is, do I enjoy their taste or should I enjoy their esthetic's
Help

..looks like we'll be seeing "easter island " easter baskets this year.....complete with easter grass and chocolate easter island heads to eat......bout time we all had our own holiday around here!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-11 02:17 am   Permalink

Mahalo for all the kind words and compliments.
Surfin, thanks and I think I need to contact W.Wonka to get enough chocolate tiki to serve all the cannibals on TC. Hey Benella Happy newyear to you and your family to, I don't know what sort of wood that was, my best guess would be some kind of oak.
Benz, thanks for the kind words and good advice. There's no Petsmart here in Holland, but I will sure check some pet stores.
Tipsy, the Easterbunny told me he thought these were a bit scary to hide for unsuspecting kids

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 09:44 am   Permalink

oh the skull tang it's looking so cool!! love the light add too!! Very nice!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 10:45 pm   Permalink

Aloha my carving friends,
I haven't had much time to carve due to lots of other work. Luckily i got a commision for some valve caps to try out my new hook knife.
Hope you enjoy and thanks for watching.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation