FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Grapa-Ruha's Carving a meal for the Marq pg.10
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 07:09 am   Permalink

Looks like some Hooking good fun here, does the owner expect these to stay screwed onto his tires? I'll bet they disappear the first week!
Nice work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 08:03 am   Permalink

wow, great stuff grapa. the computer crashes for a couple of days and you miss tons of stuff. love the skull and the tang. your bone work is wonderful too. keep them coming.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 1:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benz, the hooknife is a great tool to use. Though i'm glad i re-read all your safety instructions before use They now live on a Chopper bicycle owned by a girl who works at a local motorcycle shop. I've "lost", multiple sets of valve caps, I think it's a good reason to create a new set.

Thanks for the compliments B-D, I hope you didn't loose to much in the crash.
I got some more bone that I'm cleaning and there are all kinds of logs lying around the house. So there should be more to come in the future, a rise of temperature and longer daylight would be nice. At least the birds say spring is on it's way.

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-18 4:47 pm   Permalink

Cool caps! I like the "Arrrrrrrrr" expression on 'em!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-19 02:47 am   Permalink

I'm glad you read up on the hook knife Before you used it and really happy it helped. The hook can give you such great detail but can Also give you much heartache and blood .

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 1:49 pm   Permalink

Aloha, time to carve has been sparse lately. But I managed to carve a new guy holding a skull. I drilled out the center so I can turn him into a lamp later on. Guess he will be the reading light for "the book of Tiki".
Enjoy

View Profile of Grapa-RuHa Send a personal message to Grapa-RuHa  Goto the website of Grapa-RuHa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 3:44 pm   Permalink

Like your new carve,one mean looking dude. Glad that's not my skull.

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-27 10:20 pm   Permalink

grapa,

man he's really cool looking. anything with skulls is on my fave list. he looks kinda tiny judging by the stuff in the background. great work.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 07:08 am   Permalink

WOW Grapa man, dude, Bro',

This piece is a masterpiece, dear master carver !

Can you show the tools you used to drill him ?
How big is he?
What kind of wood is that ?

Lots of questions but it's an awesome piece.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 02:34 am   Permalink

Mahalo for all of your compliments.

Mudbone, I'm happy thats not your skull to. But this guy only takes the skulls of people whitout any creative skills. so don't worry

Big D. Thanks, I was listening to skulls by the Misfits while working on this guy. I am a big fan of anything with skulls or skelletons on it.

Benella, I will make some pics showing the drill stuff. I have no idea about the kind of wood.
And he is 31 cm tall thats about 12 inch for the non metric carvers.
Greetz,
Grapa

Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 07:08 am   Permalink

I really like the scowl on this guy. I find myself making the same face; only I am not as pretty.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-29 10:03 am   Permalink

Nice piece, Grapa-RuHa. Looking forward to seeing how it looks as a lamp!

Bowana

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grapa-RuHa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 12:08 pm   Permalink

Thanx Grand Poobah, make the same face upside down. If yer not handsome you might as well smile and be pretty
Tomorrow I will start my hunt for a shade or something I can turn in to a shade for this guy. Thank you Bowana for the kind words, I'm wondering myself what he will turn out like.

Benella, here's some pics of the drills I used for the lamp conversion.
The wide one is a speed drill Used to drill from the bottom to about 3cm from the top.
The other is a normal 8mm wood drill used to drill from the top.
I then gave him an A-hole to put the cord true.
The speed drill is made longer by an extension piece
Hope this helps

[ This Message was edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2009-03-29 12:11 ]

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-29 12:25 pm   Permalink

Very nice carves, Grapa-RuHa!

This guy will look great as a lamp!

The auger bit looks familiar!

I did a bit of tiki lamp building a few years ago and that was my favorite bit.

A drill press is your best bet to make sure things are straight.

Good luck!!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-30 4:31 pm   Permalink

Yes nice work. This is a kick ass looking tiki.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation