FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 8:55 pm   Permalink

Very cool! That last photo was used for the menu illustration I used in the BOT page 165!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 12:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 12:03, Bora Boris wrote:
Were there ever any stories in Architectural Digest or any magazine like that on any of his homes?

Here are some photos of Donn's house in Encino.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 1:21 pm   Permalink

Note that wherever he went, he had his Tahitian Cannibal Carvings with him.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-29 1:26 pm   Permalink

Wow! Definitely the home of a beachcomber.

We need a new thread before this one gets derailed beyond the point of no return.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 02:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-29 12:47, Dustycajun wrote:

Is that a baboon skull??

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-05 8:30 pm   Permalink

The Palm Springs location. From the Oct 1970 issue of Palm Springs Life magazine. For a re-model, this might have been an evolution instead of a de-evolution, given the 1970 date. Had we reached the zenith and started the decline of Tiki restaurants by 1970 yet, Bigbro?

I really like the tiki torches jutting above the roof in several places, on their long, bamboo-style poles.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-05 11:27 pm   Permalink

The peak of Tiki style was between 1959 and 1964. I personally can tell the difference in some places by around 1968, but the dates of devolution vary with the places. I would say that in this case, if the decor was straight Beachcomber style before, they probably added some Tikis, so it must have been an upgrade, still. They didn't start to "downplay" the Polynesian theme in existing places until the late 70s.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 09:08 am   Permalink

Sabu,

Thanks for the photos of the Don's in Palm Springs. First time I have ever seen a photo of the place.

Sven, as always thanks for the history lesson.

Here are a few more pics from the Chicago Don's from the Life Mag photos.

Still looking for these locations.

San Jose/Santa Clara, California
Santa Barbara, California
Malibu, California
Aurora, Colorado
Houston, Texas
Seattle, Washington
W. Lafayette, Louisiana
Indiana

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 7:45 pm   Permalink

I am beyond impressed with all the accumulated photos and info on Don the Beachcomber! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this guy. I was born and brought up in Malibu (surf's up, dude!) and I do remember the Tonga Lei, though not very well, because I was just a child. (When it was torn down, I was in San Francisco, goofing off...uh, wait...going to film school, so I missed its sad demise.) For some reason, though, my parents were more fond of Kelbo's on Pico and The Luau, maybe because of their dating memories from those places. But if anyone has any menus or promo stuff from the Malibu Don's, please post them! All I've ever been able to find rarely) is Tonga Lei matchbooks and postcards -- although there is a guy on Ebay who is selling copies of vintage Tiki menus, including an old Tonga Lei one. I might cave and get it. And yes, the Tonga Lei was adjacent (on the left side) to the Malibu Pier. (Not to be confused with the Santa Monica Pier.) There is a parking lot now where it once stood. The most public Tiki atmosphere in Malibu now can be found at Duke's Restaurant. (PCH at Las Flores.) They have a nice collection of vintage Hawaiiana on display, some tropical drinks on the menu and the food is very good. However, Bamboo Ben has created an homage to the Tonga Lei inside one of the restaurants on the Malibu Pier. It's a private dining room within the restaurant, which, unfortunately can only be enjoyed if you pay a hefty price to reserve that special room for you and some of your friends. At least, that's the last word I heard on the place. Maybe that's changed by now.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-12 3:46 pm   Permalink

Geez, where was I when this thread was going on?? Dusty, thanks for all the wonderful Donn pictures. The ones of him behind the bar and mixing are just priceless, not to mention inspirational. Zombie anyone?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-13 11:56 am   Permalink

Your right GatorRob, Donn was "The Man" behind the bar back in the day. See the thread on the 75th anniversary and toast a Zombie to Donn.

Here are a couple of slides from Don the Beachcomber's in Hawaii circa 1955.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 08:58 am   Permalink

( Mrs Bamboo got a new scanner. There is a future! for old Eli photos... )

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-05 10:08 pm   Permalink

BambooBen,

Thanks for the post, the outside Don the Beachcombers bar sure looked a lot better than the restaurant inside the Sahara. Which ones Eli?

Here is another slide with Donn in rare form at his Waikiki Luau.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 6:34 pm   Permalink

Added the defunct Don The Beachcombers at the Disneyland California Adventure from TikiKate's expedition.

DC

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-13 7:45 pm   Permalink

Hey DC....check out this article from a while back in your local paper. I think the guy must have been bit high when he visited DTB....

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/jun/05/babes-clubland/

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation