FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 8:41 pm   Permalink

Bongo,

Thanks for the article, I lived through that era in Santa Barbara and remember all of those places well. The DTB on the beach in SB was not satanic, we used to hit it pretty hard for the Scorpion Bowls that were half price at Happy Hour. Pat's Grass Shack was a hole in the wall live band spot in Goleta that also had a little Tiki flair going for it.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-14 7:35 pm   Permalink

Have you checked the Santa Barbara Library for photos? Would like to see the interior. I bought these lamps a few years ago from a dealer in SB that said they came from that DTB...

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 08:07 am   Permalink

Updated to add the newest DTB in Huntington Beach at the former Sam's Seafood. Have not been yet by am going to try and swing by on my way to/from Bamboo Ben's Nooner.

Any postcards, menus, or matches from this place yet??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kikkietiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-22 10:00 am   Permalink

WOW! Reading this thread and seeing the pictures of the UFO style Beachcomber's triggered a completely forgotten memory of what must have been the Don the Beachcomber's in San Jose/Santa Clara. I remember seeing it when I was a kid when we would drive home from my grandma's house. I remember seeing the thatched roof and torches in the center at night and it always enchanted me but I never knew what it was. I found a reference to a Don the Beachcomber's on Stevens Creek Boulevard and I have looked at aerial maps and can't find anything like it. I will have to ask my sister and mother to help me recall more closely where it was located.

View Profile of Kikkietiki Send a personal message to Kikkietiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 7:09 pm   Permalink

The Donn story continues!

I stumbled upon this wooden token good for a free barrel of rum at the Don The Beachcomber restaurants opening in Manila and Singapore in 1943.

Now as far as I know, these places never opened. It shows you that Donn was always thinking.

So that gives us 24 locations opened plus 3 locations that were advertised but never proved to exist (Vacation Village, San Diego being the third).

Good stuff!

DC

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-04-22 9:47 pm   Permalink

Opening in 1943? Unless that token is some sort of morale building promotion, I would think that the Japanese occupation of both the Philippines and Singapore during that time put a damper on those expansion plans.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2009-04-22 22:02 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-22 21:47, Bora Boris wrote:
Opening in 1943? Unless that token is some sort of morale building promotion, I would think that the Japanese occupation of both the Philippines and Singapore during that time put a damper on those expansion plans.

I think you're right about them being a morale-booster, BB. The Brits and Yanks were rather ignominiously defeated in Singapore and the PI, early on. I know that in the case of the Philippines, retaking them was more important symbolically than tactically. IIRC, some considered it a better, quicker plan to bypass them, as we battled toward Japan, but McArthur would have none of that - said he'd return, and that's that, dammit! I'll bet those tokens were one of Donn's contributions to the war effort - given to servicemen, implying that by that date, those locations would not only have been liberated from the "Japs", but a soldier could imagine himself, cleaned-up and comfortable, relaxing in a newly built DTB,... and with claim to a whole barrel of rum!
Great find - combo WWII/Tiki memorabilia.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-30 8:19 pm   Permalink

Don the Beachcomber 25th anniversary matchbook.

Inside it lists Hollywood, Chicago & Palm Springs.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 07:43 am   Permalink

Here is the phone book add from the Santa Barbara DTBs. That leaves only these locations for some paper or photos:

San Jose/Santa Clara, California
Malibu, California
Aurora, Colorado
Houston, Texas
Seattle, Washington
W. Lafayette, Louisiana
Indiana
DC

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 07:54 am   Permalink

here's a newspaper ad for one of the Hawaii locations.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 4:43 pm   Permalink

This post card caught my eye when I noticed Liberty House. Then I looked over to the right. You can just make out the exterior of the DTB on Kalakaua Avenue.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 6:58 pm   Permalink

Nice card Kate.

Here is another view of Donn in the Treehouse in Hawaii.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-09 11:17 am   Permalink

Here is a cool little ad from the Chicago DTBs.

DC

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-14 4:49 pm   Permalink

I picked up this matchbook today. Does it qualify as an official paper item from the Santa Barbara DTB? (I know you already had Santa Barbara covered with the phone book ad, but I was wondering if the matchbook counts since the only thing that links it to the location is a non-tiki establishment.)

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 07:40 am   Permalink

Kate,

Heck yes the matchbook counts! That is awesome, the only piece of paper that I have ever seen that actually came from the DTBs in my home town. The reason it says Santa Barbara Inn on the matchbook is because the restaurant was located on the second floor of the hotel.

You didn't happen to find two of those did you?

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation