FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-17 09:57 am   Permalink

How about this cool little gem.Don the Beachcomber money clip.Picked this up recently
on ebay.The seller I believe knows which Don it came from and is going to get back
with me today.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
artsnyder
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-19 1:25 pm   Permalink

Some very creative people have been putting Don's trademark on some very strange items. Worst, I believe, is the person who takes pictures of the art from matchbooks, etc. and then prints blowups on his home printer, selling them on eBay. I presume he must be making money, particularly on the shipping & handling.
I even saw a copy of our interim menu, which is simply sheets from our restaurant printer that we slip into a menu cover provided by our liquor supplier. The seller didn't even include the menu cover. Heck, if anyone wants one, I'll give him one with a Certificate of Provenance signed by me. But, just goes to show. . .
Mahalo!
Art Snyder
Don the Beachcomber
at SURF CITY, USA

View Profile of artsnyder Send a personal message to artsnyder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-19 2:39 pm   Permalink

Art- this is the real deal on this vintage money clip,no cheap copy.
I do see the guy you are talking about selling copies of menus and match books.
He is copying alot of vintage tiki locations not just Don the Beachcomber.
Maybe you can send him a cease and desist order since you are or were an attorney.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 12:10 pm   Permalink

Time to update with some new stuff on a few locations.

Tikipedia found the original sign from the Palm Springs DTB, how cool is that!

And Tradr Bill found this photo from Palm Springs in the Bum's Book.

"Hank Riddle (left) and waiter at the Palm Springs Beachcomber's, circa 1979"

Here are some different and rare postcards from the Chicago DTB.

A DTB Dollar coin from Hawaii.

And since I have already let Don's boats in the thread, a postcard of the Singapore Lady.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
builtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-09 2:52 pm   Permalink

What amazing images....totally cool!!!!!

View Profile of builtiki Send a personal message to builtiki  Email builtiki Goto the website of builtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-09 4:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-22 10:00, Kikkietiki wrote:
WOW! Reading this thread and seeing the pictures of the UFO style Beachcomber's triggered a completely forgotten memory of what must have been the Don the Beachcomber's in San Jose/Santa Clara. I remember seeing it when I was a kid when we would drive home from my grandma's house. I remember seeing the thatched roof and torches in the center at night and it always enchanted me but I never knew what it was. I found a reference to a Don the Beachcomber's on Stevens Creek Boulevard and I have looked at aerial maps and can't find anything like it. I will have to ask my sister and mother to help me recall more closely where it was located.

Don the Beachcombers in Santa Clara (not San Jose) was located near Stevens Creek and Lawrence Expressway. The exact location was actually a side street off of Stevens Creek called Calvert. Sadly, it was demolished years ago and now is a bunch of apartments called Archstone Cupertino. This is what the location looks like now...http://www.archstoneapartments.com/Apartments/California/Northern_California/Archstone_Cupertino

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 09:37 am   Permalink

Cool Manchu-

Any idea what years the Santa Clara location was open for business? I'm trying to track down some photos, a newspaper article or *something* (no luck yet).

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 5:49 pm   Permalink

I found another Santa Barbara matchbook.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-27 10:28 am   Permalink

Found a 1948 Saturday Evening Post with a great article on the Don the Beachcombers in Hollywood.

Some amazing color photos of Hollywood celebrities and the interior of the DTB.

Love the Bamboo Chopstick case idea - like the Tiki Mug case at Tiki Ti and now the
DTB's in Huntington Beach. It appears to be well guarded by the manager!

Check out all of the collectibles on this table: Two postcards, a couple of drink cards, a matchbook, coasters, table lamp, and clam-shell ashtrays!

This is the only photo of Donn, a stock shot from Hawaii.

The article, which is quire long, focuses on Sunny Sund, Donn's ex-wife.

Will post more of the article later.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-19 6:18 pm   Permalink

Matchbox advertising Santa Barbara and Marina Del Rey.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 05:28 am   Permalink

Anyone out there have any idea when/where these were sold or what the history is on the design?

Picked these up on Saturday. I had seen the glasses before at the Alameda antique sale but did not know they were DTBC. A bit pricey from what I usually spend, but cool to have the box!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-20 06:50 am   Permalink

Great find on the glasses PTD. Can you post a closeup of the image on the glasses. And on a side note here is a few items from Chicago in my collection including an unused mug with the original label still attached. Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-26 12:52 am   Permalink

DC - that article from the Saturday Evening Post is outstanding. I'd be interested in seeing more of the text, definitely.

My latest purchase: an old Hawaiian vacation scrapbook from the 60s. Inside was this newspaper clipping with a nice interior shot of the Honolulu Don's:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 11:46 pm   Permalink

I believe this matchbook counts as a paper reference to all the remaining locations except:
Aurora, Colorado
Louisiana

Would you agree, DC?

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 06:46 am   Permalink

Sorry Trad'r Bill, but that's not going to cut it. As I said at the start of the post, I got the list from matchbooks and menus that had list like the one you posted. The item has to come from the actual location.

What is interesting about your matchook is that it lists the San Diego location at the Vacation Village, which never existed.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation