FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-29 10:00 am   Permalink

Ahh - darnit... no worries DC - you make the rules on this thread. My quest continues.

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-12-15 12:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-20 05:28, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Anyone out there have any idea when/where these were sold or what the history is on the design?

Picked these up on Saturday. I had seen the glasses before at the Alameda antique sale but did not know they were DTBC. A bit pricey from what I usually spend, but cool to have the box!

PTD

PTD - I think your glasses are from the 1960s, but I'm not sure exactly when. I found this small card stapled to the inside of a non-tiki restaurant menu from the 60s:

It could be that the glasses were provided to restaurants along with Don The Beachcomber mixes as part of a deal with Christian Brothers Brandy? Just guessing. In any case, that's still one of the coolest finds I've ever seen.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
artsnyder

Posted: 2009-12-15 11:10 pm   Permalink

To all our Tiki Central Friends:
The collection is a fine one and is almost complete. But there is one matchbook missing: The one that should be listed as Number 24.
That matchbook is from the Don the Beachcomber Bar, located inside my restaurant "Royal Star at The Venetian," in the Venetian Hotel on the Strip in Las Vegas from 2004 to 2006. I have a number of the matchbooks from that short-lived enterprise, that I followed with the establishment of Don the Beachcomber in Surf City, USA.
If any one of you would like to complete your collection with a matchbook that had a very short run, and that your friends probably never heard of, just come in to the Dagger Bar, haver two drinks, and ask Marie for one. Heck, you'll carry away 2 Swizzle Sticks, 2 Bar Coasters, and a very scarce collector's match book. Vot a deal! And for Don the Beachcomber's real friends, I'll look up some of the napkins from the 2004-2006 Las Vegas Don the Beachcomber and give you a certificate of authenticity if you like.
Mahalo!
ART SNYDER
DON THE BEACHCOMBER

View Profile of artsnyder Send a personal message to artsnyder      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2009-12-16 08:59 am   Permalink

Here's a few more items from the Chicago location.

Magazine ad:

And an artist's rendering of the interior:

I used to think I had an image of the Hollywood location, but the paintings match up with Bongofury's postcard of the Tahitian room in Chicago:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-01-01 1:08 pm   Permalink

This is from a 1957 "Here's Hawaii" guide. I'm going to guess this is Don The Beachcomber as opposed to Trader Vic's based on the shape of the koa-wood table, the type of tall glass used for the drink, and the low-relief tiki in the background which resembles the low-relief totems at the entrance to Don's in Honolulu.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-17 05:48 am   Permalink

Here is a beat up oversized postcard showing Don's tree house in 1977. Looks to be used as a radio station by this time but a good shot of the tree house anyway.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 5:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-12-15 23:10, artsnyder wrote:
To all our Tiki Central Friends:
The collection is a fine one and is almost complete. But there is one matchbook missing: The one that should be listed as Number 24.
That matchbook is from the Don the Beachcomber Bar, located inside my restaurant "Royal Star at The Venetian," in the Venetian Hotel on the Strip in Las Vegas from 2004 to 2006. I have a number of the matchbooks from that short-lived enterprise, that I followed with the establishment of Don the Beachcomber in Surf City, USA.
If any one of you would like to complete your collection with a matchbook that had a very short run, and that your friends probably never heard of, just come in to the Dagger Bar, haver two drinks, and ask Marie for one. Heck, you'll carry away 2 Swizzle Sticks, 2 Bar Coasters, and a very scarce collector's match book. Vot a deal! And for Don the Beachcomber's real friends, I'll look up some of the napkins from the 2004-2006 Las Vegas Don the Beachcomber and give you a certificate of authenticity if you like.
Mahalo!
ART SNYDER
DON THE BEACHCOMBER

Art,

Sorry to wait so long to officially add your Don the Beachcomber Bar to the list, I kept waiting for someone to post a picture of the matchbook you so graciously offered to give folks who stopped by. I am in Santa Barbara and have not been down that way for some time, do try to save me one though as I will be attending Bamboo Ben's Garage Sale in May and would love to have a couple of drinks and pick one up. Your LV location is actually number 25!

On to a few more new items.

Some photos of the other Las Vegas DTB with a little bit different view of that gawdauwful interior and an exterior night time shot.

I have been asked by several folks to post the rest of the article from the 1948 Saturday Evening Post on DTB and Sunny Sund. It is quite long so I am going to do it in installments.

Here is the front page I posted before:

Some more of the story.

It is quite a fascinating read .... stay tuned more to come.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-03-08 17:14 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 3:24 pm   Permalink

Here is some more of the story:

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-03-08 17:13 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 3:36 pm   Permalink

This is a really long article at is set in columns, so bear with me.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-03-08 17:11 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-13 12:41 pm   Permalink

Here is the last page of the article.

Just so it's not all text with no pictures, here are a few photos from the DTBs in Hawaii.

The original DTB on Kalakaua Ave

Donn playing the gourd drum for Bob Hope.

The DTB at the International Market Place

Check out that drum.

Donn relaxing in true form.

DC

ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-13 1:00 pm   Permalink

Dumb question from me--
How many are left?
~Zero

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-13 5:09 pm   Permalink

Zero,

As far as I know, there are three left

The Dons in Huntington Beach.

The Dons at the Royal Kona Resort in Kona.

And the Dons in at the Royal Lahaina Resort in Maui.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-01 11:02 pm   Permalink

A few more photos from Hawaii.

And an ad from Vegas with Don Rickles.

I am still looking for something from the San Jose/Santa Clara UFO style building.
There has to be a photo of that thing somewhere, I saw the building when I was a kid, so I know it existed.

DC

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-25 11:10 am   Permalink

Recently, I found a shoebox of matchbooks that I had stored away since, probably, the mid 80's. I had a DtB matchbook, from when I was in Honolulu, in '77 or '78. It's the same one Dustycajun posted in the beginning of this thread:

Inside, it gives the address of the Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel (2300 Kalakaua), where, if I remember correctly, Don's was on the second level.
Here, again, is Sabu's newspaper picture:

Well, of course, Don the Beachcomber's is no longer the restaurant at the Beachcomber Hotel. Wondering what the restaurant is, now?
Sorry, BigBro...

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2010-08-25 11:11 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-27 07:09 am   Permalink

Here are a couple pic's of the Vegas matchbook that Art posted about, Thanks Art I had a great time talking with you.
I can't wait to go back!!!

Also the back of the new Don's mug, HB CA markings along with the Sams swordfish a nice touch I think.

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation