FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-25 8:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha All!

I decided to just start farting around with this medium of darkness. I have done a few in the past...but I really want to get this down, eventually and have fun!! Thanks to some other artists like Heather Watts and Robb Hamel and their velvet passion. It is too much fun to not jump in to. Here are the first experiments I have done at the end of the day this week after painting the regular stuff for the Gallery.

I just painted stuff that was fun..intending them to be learning experiences so that I could really do some more "serious" paintings next. Subject matter is inspired by this time of year.... I am learning TONS by jumping in and experimenting!! I love thinking with light..and darkness is the perfect background for the magic of light to dance upon... Questions and suggestions welcome!!

Special thanks to Robb for encouraging all TC artists to add to the "blood" of velvet painting revival.
~~~~~~THOR

this was on "velveteen"...a little too much luster to the velvet....but those seeing this test in person said the swore there was light "inside' the painting! So contrast is starting to work! Test smudges above...in oil and acrylic tests.

I set plastic early 60's devil head that used to hold candy for kids. It was the same design that inspired the Twilight Zone episode with the fortune teller napkin dispenser in the diner. Anyways..just looked at it and free painted..making up the light. I am not thrilled with it... It needed better design of light and core shadows... Diamond eye was fairly effective as painted. This as on velveteen too... So...not the ideal surface.

Beginning of test on better velvet I got downtown. Upholstery grade velvet.
Lot's of dust specks. You can see my chalk sketch in some areas. this one will have a gecko that's tongue is stuck to a lunar moth orbiting the candle.

I am learning more..but feel this is over worked a bit. my goal is to get a fresh, effortless feel to the brushstrokes and surface. This will take doing more and getting the feel down more and more.

That's all...more to come in weeks to come....

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2008-11-09 21:29 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-25 9:34 pm   Permalink

Looks cool Thor, way to jump in with both feet!!! Wish I had some insightful constructive criticism to add but I'm clueless, they look great to me.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-25 9:34 pm   Permalink

EDIT - Double post (how did that happen?)

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-10-26 10:38 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 09:07 am   Permalink

...any Shrunken Heads??

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 10:34 am   Permalink

Great work Thor! If those are posted in succession, then you can already see the progress in your technique. A little masking tape will get rid of all that dust you are complaining about.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2008-10-26 13:44 ]

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 1:12 pm   Permalink

Wow, for a test, the devil looks damn good!

Your Fortune: I see black velvet masterpieces in stor for you.
K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)
[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/5514x538c224a.jpg[

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 2:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the supportall!! No shrunken heads yet Ben! But I am gunna some that will curl your rafia soon! Just figuring out this medium here first!!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 5:43 pm   Permalink

right on Thor!!!!

these are looking great...one could say...ahem...SCARY good!

alohas, t

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 9:00 pm   Permalink

Dang THORs!
Looks like you're taking to velvet and velveteen quite splendidly so far!
If these are your firsts,then i can't even imagine what time will produce!!!!
Is that velveteen anything like velveeta cheese?
No wonder it gave you some trouble!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 06:05 am   Permalink

I like that you've kept your recognizable style rather than letting the velvet take the reigns. Fun stuff.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 5:29 pm   Permalink

Incredible, your talent never ceases to amaze, first your paintings, then your rum series, the shrunken heads, and now the velvets.

It already looks like you have been working with the velveteen for years.

Please keep painting in this medium, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 6:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement!

I definitely don't recommend the velveteen..only because it has too much luster for me. I studied a lot of realists when I was learning classic painting in school. Some of my first paying jobs in school were painting extremely tight still life paintings for a ladies home. She was an editor for Bon Appetit Magazine..excuse my French. Every oak cabinet had different foods and thngs based on what cookbooks she had inside them...intricate stuff..and she got it for a steal! Anyways, I read a lot about the effects of light and the science behind what makes a painting "glow" other than just contrast. There is a lot of science in it as much as skill or developing an eye. I can see Robb takes this approach as well. It gets really fun when you combine the intellectual with the artful!

Basically what we all are fascinated by when we see a velvet painting is one basic illusion. When light falls upon paint, it bounces back into our eye and reflects it's source. The more opaque a color is..the more light it bounces back at us. Velvet..especial quality black velvet absorbs it's light source. So..it REALLY exaggerates the surface that is covered in the paint, which is reflecting the source. It almost looks like the painting has light inside it if done well. Canvas, even if painted dark, still reflects more light that the velvet will. Anyways...enough science.

I have been asked for years to do more velvets and I think now is the time. I really love the fact that the others doing velvets all have their own styles and so we can all explore together and help this lost medium take on a new interest and appreciation. Ok..the sun is about down..I am going to go experiment!!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 6:25 pm   Permalink

Wow! I liked the science lesson. That was interesting. Thanks! And cool paintings too. Keep us posted.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 06:42 am   Permalink

Thor, Its awesome to see you diving into velvet. I see big things coming about. My wife and I will be heading over to the island fairly soon, I've got a visit to your store towards the top of my list...Thanks for sharing your progress. Keep up the exceptional work!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 6:06 pm   Permalink

I did this the other night... Getting the hang of this and really enjoying the medium. I paint in the dark with one light over my shoulder... I looked at an actual skull I have that I got when I was taking pre-med classes before I decided to make a career as an artist...lol. Most of the light was invented, but I did put a flashlight on the skull from the warm side. This is oil on velvet.

I sketched it roughly first with a piece of chalk. Lots of lint and stuff..I will clean the painting of all that when dry. Studies like these help me to understand the medium. Then , when things are totally invented, I can predict the outcome and know how to design the negative areas..etc. Like I mentioned before, I think with light immediately when I paint, so this medium comes very naturally to me. This is soo fun at this time of year!! I can feel Halloween around the corner!! I will get to the Tiki stuff soon....lol...just starting with this dark side stuff. I am going to tackle a shrunken head next.

closer detail...lots of velvet left unpainted..which makes painting go quickly!

Anyways...more to come soon! Ideas are really starting to fly!!

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2008-10-29 18:14 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation