FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tikis in films
Passerby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-28 6:15 pm   Permalink

Just one more... for now.

"Hawaii," a 1966 epic about the conversion of the native Hawaiians to Christianity. Set in the whaling town of Lahaina in the 19th century, it stars Max von Sydow as a stern and rigid missionary with no tolerance for the blasthemous ways of the savage. Also starring Julie Andrews, and Richard Harris.

Changing a culture's beliefs is not an easy process. "Backsliding" provides a great ritual scene! (Although finding one without visible frontal native hoo-hahs was a challenge. A nice challenge, though.)

That's all for now. Probably.

View Profile of Passerby Send a personal message to Passerby  Email Passerby Goto the website of Passerby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-01 4:29 pm   Permalink

Here is a good one that is kind of obscure: Mr. Mikes Mondo Video.

Mr. Mike (Michael O'Donoghue) was the writer responsible for much of the twisted humor in the early days of Saturday Night Live. In the 1979 he left the show and made a feature length collection of his comedy sketches and bizzare music selections and called it Mr. Mike's Mondo Video.

It ends with a National Geographic style documentry of a tribe of proud polynesian warrors who have become a cargo cult worshipping the cast off fads of our decadent culture like silly string and lava lamps. He says this in front of the tribe so they re-adopt their old ways and spear Mr. Mike and leave him for dead on the beach while the credits play at the end of the movie.

There is another tiki related skit in it about a religous cult called the "Mainland Temple of the Perfect Wave" the chuch members all wear leis and their lord is Jack Lord. Dan Akroyd is a the preacher and he ends the sermon with "Book him Danno" while they play Hawaii 5-0 on the organ.

Outside shot of the Mainland Temple of the Perfect Wave

Close up of the top of the temple showing the tiki heads.

The Preacher (Dan Akroyd) delivering a sermon to the faithful.

I would recomend renting or viewing this one only for fans of really weird humor.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2007-02-02 03:54 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Passerby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-04 5:52 pm   Permalink

Wake of the Red Witch, 1949. Starring John Wayne, Gail Russel and a bunch of others, including Duke Kahanamoku as the tribal chief.

Oh, and here is the tiki shot...

View Profile of Passerby Send a personal message to Passerby  Email Passerby Goto the website of Passerby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Daniel C. Boyer
Deleted

Posted: 2007-02-08 10:33 am   Permalink

Somewhat of a stretch: Never Been Kissed.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-04 17:52, Passerby wrote:
...A meeting of the Dukes.

So Awesome! Thanks Passerby! Gotta check that out if i can find it!

Kiss of The Vampire (1989)

Starring Nicolas Cage and Jennifer Beals.

A Tiki sits on the windowsill of Dr Glaser's high rise office. Follow link to discription and pics.

http://dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12996&pagename=PrinterFriendly&overrideheader=true&overridefooter=true

[ This Message was edited by: hodadhank 2007-02-08 11:12 ]

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-08 11:08 am   Permalink

Oh! Also, I posted this in another thread but it works here too...

Quote:

On 2007-01-17 20:00, hodadhank wrote:
Can't believe I found some Bell, Book and Candle mentions!

A longtime favorite film I just got on DVD. So great.

Made in 1958, the same year as her more famous pairing with Jimmy Stewart in Virtigo, B,B&C is a comedy starring Kim Novak as sexy Beatnik witch Gillian 'Gil' Holroyd who owns a shop that sells "African & Oceanic Art" and Jimmy Stewart as her publisher neighbor and love interest. The Zodiac Club scenes complete with bongo-jazz are great fun, a nightclub for witches! Novak's carving filled store/apartment has sleek mid-century furnishings and Novak herself has never been more mesmerising with her cropped blonde hair, black petal pushers, black scoop turtleneck, bare feet and of course those eyebrows!!! I'd forgotten, at the end of the film her shop has transformed to a nautical theme including a glass float or two! Check it out.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Passerby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-08 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-17 20:00, hodadhank wrote:
Can't believe I found some Bell, Book and Candle mentions!

A longtime favorite film I just got on DVD. So great. ...

...Check it out.

Yeah. I will. I'd been meaning to put that one in the ol' Netflix cue...
Thanks

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-12 09:47 am   Permalink

I caught a little bit of City Beneath the Sea (1953) which features a great Tiki bar called the "Rum Tot" even though the film set in Jamaica.

City Beneath the Sea (1953)

Divers Brad and Tony arrive in Jamaica to attempt salvage of the "Lady Luck," sunk with all hands and a million in gold. They charter a boat, "American Beauty," skippered by attractive Terry McBride, but cannot find the ship. But there's more to the "Lady Luck" than meets the eye, and undersea skullduggery forms a counterpoint to Brad's romance with Terry, and Tony's with cabaret singer Venita.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-14 10:07 pm   Permalink

Tons of Tikis in Thomas Magnum PI....opening scene in the store. "Kii's don't Lie" 1982.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 07:52 am   Permalink

Who can forget this scene from Star Wars?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-15 08:20 am   Permalink

..and oddly enough, see the tiki icon in the post above me.....i just saw that same tiki on a lamp post in the film "the Game" staring michael douglas and sean penn.....you can clearly see it through the car window when douglas is stopped at a light.....weird. great movie though.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-15 7:46 pm   Permalink

OMG pappy.....I'm cryin'.....that is hysterical. Thanks for the great laugh.

I am always interested in film locations....just an fyi, but I found this great site today.
The Worldwide Guide to Movie Locations

VampTiki

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-19 12:20 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 12:40 am   Permalink

Heres another one from the Wild, Wild, West t.v. series....Season 1, an episode called "The Two Legged Buffalo"....The tiki tried to kill Mr. West by way of a pressure switch located on a chair, that in turn sent the dart located in the tikis tongue flying into the chair Mr. West was sitting in...close shave,but good ol' James wins in the end!

this is West entering the expensive hotel room

remove the eyeballs and tongue, and whos style tiki is this?

a close up of the tongue

another frame shot

and finally West is putting the dart back in the tiki as not to alarm the enemies that anything had occured....

I still attest, The Wild,Wild West series was one of the greatest t.v. shows ever, and this only adds a little more strength to my claim!haha

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2007-02-21 00:41 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-03 11:09 am   Permalink

THE RIGHT APPROAH (1961)

The late Frankie Vaughn (Let's Make Love) plays a ruthless young Hollywood hopeful who uses his friends (and anyone else handy) as stepping stones on his way to fame as a singing star.

After moving into the communal bachelor pad shared by his brother and three other struggling talents, Vaughn wastes no time in moving in on the girlfriend of one of the guys (Juliet Prowse as a hard-edged hash slinger) only to throw her over for a journalist he hopes will help his career (Martha Hyer).

What makes this film so fun is how transparently sneaky old Vaughn is. He is like a cartoon villain; complete with shifty eves, cheshire cat grin, and light-switch mood swings. All he's missing is a mustache to twirl.

The cliches fly, some bad songs are sung and we get to see Prowse dance a little bit. Mostly we get to see Vaughn be really mean to people, and he makes a delightful bad guy.

[TIKI covering the walls of the bachelor pad.]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055373/

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-08 06:11 am   Permalink

Rain (1936)

Joan Crawford, starring as prostitute Sadie Thompson in this adaptation of the Maugham story, is a magnet for all the men on the exotic island of Pago Pago, but fundamentalist preacher Rev. Alfred Davidson (Walter Huston) wants her to see the error of her ways and repent. When, at long last, she begins to come around to his way of thinking, Davidson himself begins to fall for her when the two become stranded together during a fierce tropical storm.

Tiki in the native scenes.

VampTiki

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-03-08 06:21 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation