FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tikis in films
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-28 11:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-01 10:36, aku76 wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a good 50s film called 'Pearl of the South Pacific' starring Virginia Mayo has several large tikis--they are even part of the plot because the tribal leader prays to them several times. Check it out.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 12:22 pm   Permalink

I was watching a crappy 1959 German horror film called "Die Nackte und der Satan" (AKA: The Head) last night, and was stunned to come across a scene set in what appears to be a very Tiki Modernesque bar!

The scene opens in a theater with a large mask hanging above the stage where some sort of magic show is taking place:

After that, the action moves to a bar with bamboo-covered walls hung with more masks:

I had a hard time getting a good screencap of the bar, but it fit it with the rest of the decor in these shots. No tropical cocktails were being served, just martinis...

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 1:37 pm   Permalink

As an aside "Die Nackte und der Satan" translates on Babelfish as "The naked one and the Satan", I think "The Head" is a pretty lame alternative title, surely "Satan's Nudists" would have been more catchy.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 1:42 pm   Permalink

Dont have an image of it but in the movie Mall Cop there is a tiki in the scene where they are in the Rainforest Cafe! This topic is like the Mr. Skin of tikis!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-02 13:37, atomictonytiki wrote:
As an aside "Die Nackte und der Satan" translates on Babelfish as "The naked one and the Satan", I think "The Head" is a pretty lame alternative title, surely "Satan's Nudists" would have been more catchy.

Or "Satan Gets Some Head"...

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-05 10:06 am   Permalink

El coleccionista de cadaveres/The corpse collector (1970)
The mask hides the entrance to Boris Karloff´s Torremolinos castle dungeons, where he and Viveka Lindfors collect their corpses.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-06 3:22 pm   Permalink

In "The Solid Gold Cadillac" (1956) there is a large traditional styled tiki in a prominent place on the credenza in the Chairman of the Board's office (which is a spectacular mid-century office with a well-stocked bar and a glass wall overlooking a tropical plant garden and patio!). Also, near the end of the movie there is a scene in another office where a stylized Moai statue resides on a shelf!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-10 4:48 pm   Permalink

Somebody just posted the following screencap to the Name That Film pool on Flickr. I have no idea what it's from, but when I find out, I'll come back and update this post.

snackbar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-12 4:23 pm   Permalink

That is one cool looking

lilyscarlet.com

View Profile of snackbar Send a personal message to snackbar  Goto the website of snackbar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 11:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-14 16:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
Nice finds! Doesn't "The Apartment" use its Polynesian club location for a similar seduction/bachelor pad set up?

Yes, there are two fairly long and substantial scenes in a Tiki bar in that one.

Saw "Milk" tonight, and there is a pretty huge Tiki in Milk's boyfriend's living room.
Uh, let the innuendo begin....

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:16 pm   Permalink

From a very recent episode of "Reaper", scenes shot in Vancouver's Waldorf Hotel's Polynesian Room:

Stairs leading to the dining floor (note tiny bar in rear):

Shot of the floor with famous wall-mural:

And front view of aquarium seen in first pic to the left:

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 04:25 am   Permalink

I have not seen it yet, but I understand the talking Rapa Nui (Easter Island) Moai head will be in the Night at the Museum sequel that is in theaters now.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-21 12:54 pm   Permalink

I wonder if the "tiny bar in the rear" hurts him or if he's enjoying it? LOL

Quote:

On 2009-04-20 22:16, twitch wrote:
From a very recent episode of "Reaper", scenes shot in Vancouver's Waldorf Hotel's Polynesian Room:

Stairs leading to the dining floor (note tiny bar in rear):

Shot of the floor with famous wall-mural:

And front view of aquarium seen in first pic to the left:

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 02:19 am   Permalink

My apologies if this has been mentioned before (I searched Tiki Central and the chosen words did not come up). Does anybody remember a Sid & Marty Krofft show from the late 1970s called 'Magic Mongo'? A fun and silly children's show (which I loved at the time, and nostalgically still love! I'm a Baby Buster and this is part of my history!) that took place primarily on a beach, and was the setting of the adventures of three innocent yet daft teenagers and a Genie (Magic Mongo) they found on the beach trapped in a bottle.

Anyway, there was a Polynesian/Tiki-styled hamburger/hotdog shack on the beach called 'Huli's Hut' (owned by an Asian fellow) that they worked at. The shack was a great little taste of Polynesian Tiki-bar aesthetics (and yes, there were Tiki statues, but no booze, of course; this was for the kids and teenagers, remember, and a TV show for such). I couldn't online find any decent images to link to this post, but I do have several episodes of the programme (for what it's worth).

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 03:47 am   Permalink

You will be pleased to know that TV.com has many episodes of Magic Mongo available

Magic Mongo at TV.com

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation