FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tikis in films
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-17 4:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-20 22:16, twitch wrote:
From a very recent episode of "Reaper", scenes shot in Vancouver's Waldorf Hotel's Polynesian Room:

Stairs leading to the dining floor (note tiny bar in rear):

Hey Twitch, Thanks for posting this! I did not see this post until now but that Bar in the rear as actually the bar we made and had at the Vancouver store, Funhauser Decor, for a while!

We often had stock at Funhauser and they would rent it out for movies or different T.V. Shows. Guess this was one I forgot about! It sure is real cool to see the downstairs Polynesian Room looking busy and open!! Too bad it wasn't like that in reality! They even had the palm trees pulled out with the net lighting wrapped around them. Great stuff!! It sure is cool to see our stuff in a great old Tiki establishment like the Waldorf Hotel!!

Here's a close up of our bar just before delivery:

Here a shot of the bar, along with a matching wall shelf I did, on display at Funhauser Decor in Vancouver's China Town:

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-17 6:11 pm   Permalink

I was flipping through channels and saw tikis on a smut channel. It was an episode of "Co-Ed Confidential" called "Spring Break". It looked like somewhere in Ft. Lauderdale.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 06:19 am   Permalink

On It's The Gary Shandling Show, Gary goes to an amusement park with a haunted tiki hut in the background, not a bad reference for the late 80's when the tiki was an afterthought.

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2009-07-11 06:21 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VeroTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-11 5:43 pm   Permalink

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but one of the local bars on Two and a Half Men has a great Tiki in the corner. It's the episode with the all girl volleyball team in the bar with Charlie and Allen.

View Profile of VeroTiki Send a personal message to VeroTiki  Email VeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-11 8:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-10 16:48, MrBaliHai wrote:
Somebody just posted the following screencap to the Name That Film pool on Flickr. I have no idea what it's from, but when I find out, I'll come back and update this post.

This is from the Esther William's film, "Neptune's Daughter".

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
royaltiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-13 5:06 pm   Permalink

Hate to admit I'm watching "Into the Blue 2" but less then 10 minutes in there's a nice 3 foot tiki statue on the table outside their apartment. Suddenly I'm watching more intently

View Profile of royaltiki Send a personal message to royaltiki  Email royaltiki Goto the website of royaltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 10:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-28 23:24, Zeta wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-10-01 10:36, aku76 wrote:
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but a good 50s film called 'Pearl of the South Pacific' starring Virginia Mayo has several large tikis--they are even part of the plot because the tribal leader prays to them several times. Check it out.

Here are some more images from the promotional catalog for the movie. These would have been color lobby-cards and glossy photos you could order if you were a theater-owner or newspaperman in 1955.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-23 11:37 pm   Permalink

...As on sale at oldies.com, etc. Trivia note: the boat used in this movie is TV's ADVENTURES IN PARADISE's schooner, the Leaky Tiki.

I started a thread in Beyond Tiki which touches on movies like this (you know, retro-tropical-tikiesque weirdo stuff) at oldies.com (not the only source of course):
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23748&forum=6

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Agent 86
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-07-26 10:14 pm   Permalink

PSYCHO BEACH PARTY has them in a few different scenes.

View Profile of Agent 86 Send a personal message to Agent 86      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coruscate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-26 3:53 pm   Permalink

I tried to find this elsewhere, sorry for missing it if it appears somewhere else.

There is a scene from a 2009 Simpsons episode where Moe slights the fun time at Tiki bars compared to his establishment and the bartenders hang their heads in disappointment.

View Profile of coruscate Send a personal message to coruscate      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChuckM
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-08-29 9:51 pm   Permalink

The Bounty (1984) has everything TC members could want: spectacular Tahitian setting, a great dance scene featuring beautiful half-nude native girls, grass huts, tribal tattoos and one Tiki! Despite the low Tiki count, The Bounty really is a seminal film for this genre; I surprised it wasn't mentioned on this thread earlier. It did pop up on a different thread where someone pointed out that the story contributed to the entire Polynesian Pop idea of escaping to a sensual tropical paradise. See it soon! Chuck (PS the Tiki appears briefly towards the end of their time on the island; the body of the deceased ship's doctor is discovered behind it.)

View Profile of ChuckM Send a personal message to ChuckM      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 6:19 pm   Permalink

Watched 'Milk' Last night. Panning shot across living room, this sure looks one of Crazy Al's to me....

continue to pan....

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-31 6:32 pm   Permalink

Look what Gilligan found in one of those caves.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChuckM
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-01 1:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-26 16:27, Bowana wrote:
Tiki made an appearance in "Lords Of Dogtown" (2005). In the "Party in the Surf Ghetto" scene, the Z-Boys are passing around what looks like a Huka pipe and one of them puts it up to the mouth of a large vintage-style wooden Tiki to give it a hit. In the background, all the kids are chanting "Ti-ki! Ti-ki! Ti-ki!"

Would you believe that the Tiki smoking a hookah was deleted from certain versions of the film? I picked up a very inexpensive copy of this DVD somewhere, and they had cleaned up lots of little moments ("blow me" became "balony" for example, it was mostly Jay Adams' lines that were altered) This version was rated PG-13, it did not include commentary by Alva and Peralta and it had a label reading "original theatrical version" It should have had a label printed in large red letters saying "Warning: Butchered Version of Movie!"

View Profile of ChuckM Send a personal message to ChuckM      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 9:05 pm   Permalink

The 1968 Disney film "Never a Dull Moment" has Dick van Dyke mistaken for a killer, involved in an art theft.

In one scene at the art museum, he hides in a room called "Gallery of Primitive Arts".

Some of the tikis look pretty familiar.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation