FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tikis in films
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-10 8:00 pm   Permalink

From the movie Beach Ball-1965 ....the beachcombers shack...

The Watusi A Go Go (Tonga Lei/ Don The Beachcomber) in Malibu

Party at the shack

Ed "Big Daddty" Roth customs show up at the Long Beach Arena car show

Quick shot of the "Surfite"

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krisdrama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-13 6:04 pm   Permalink

Finally got around to seeing Toy Story 3. Look what I found on Andy's wall!

View Profile of Krisdrama Send a personal message to Krisdrama  Email Krisdrama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 06:05 am   Permalink

Space Amoeba. Toho Studios 1970. Alien lifeforms brought to earth via a Saturn bound space craft turns local sea life into huge monsters bent on world domination. What the hell else would they do in a Toho movie anyway? The craft lands in the sea near a small Pacific island inhabited by peaceful natives and all hell breaks loose. In the village scenes a moai type tiki can be seen near one of the thatched huts as well as some carvings. Good shots of it just as the giant squid is stomping the hut. The movie culminates in a fight to the death between a giant crab and turtle but the world is saved as during their death duel they both tumble into an active volcano and die. And yes I do highly recommend this fine film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamoebas_(Toho)

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-24 09:47 am   Permalink

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
socksoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-25 6:27 pm   Permalink

The plot is about the curse of the Wiki Tikis on Hanahuna.

View Profile of socksoff Send a personal message to socksoff      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 08:06 am   Permalink

Aloma of the South Seas (1941), starring Dorothy Lamour and Jon Hall.

Supposedly set in the Cook Islands, which unbeknowst to me, is apparently chock-a-block with papier-mache Moais! Pretty tepid pagan love saga filmed on obvious sets with your standard Gods-are-angry-and-require-a-virgin-sacrifice-before-fake-volcano-erupts plot. Lamour and Hall apparently starred in another South Pacific romance called "The Hurricane", which I haven't seen yet, but is supposedly much better.

Here are a few caps. Sorry for the poor quality, but my copy is from a VHS rip.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom

Posted: 2011-03-30 03:26 am   Permalink

The new film, Hop, which starts April 1st, begins on Easter Island. Apparently the secret Easter Chocolate Factory is accessed by taking an elevator through a trap door in a Moai's mouth.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 10:01 am   Permalink

That's sacrilicious.

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 4:51 pm   Permalink

That is soooo cheesy!....or rather eggy (NOT edgy!): Perpetuating the fact that the Western explorers/colonizers gave Rapa Nui such a wrong name! Or wait, is it that Western capitalizers gave Easter such a wrong icon: An egg-laying bunny!

Boy, I would have loved to have heard THAT pitch.

Well, admittedly I still use the term, sometimes... and Babalu will dig it!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-03-30 16:52 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 5:40 pm   Permalink

I think its cool, along with the tiki aquarium ornaments in "Finding Nemo". Come on, its a cartoon, who cares if its correct (if there is such a thing)

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 12:06 pm   Permalink

Here's a good example of pre-WWII Polynesian Pop in film...

In the
1st clip is Eleanor Powell hula tap dancing in "Honolulu" (1939).

This is some great stuff in the fine tradition of 1930's dance musicals !!

In the 2nd clip, she's doing a similar dance in "Ship Ahoy" (1942). This scene is especially noteworthy as it has Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra performing a jazzy "Hawaiian War Chant" in front of an elaborate Poly-pop stage.

We see giant PNG shields and some large Tikis as well !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 05:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-23 12:06, JOHN-O wrote:
This scene is especially noteworthy as it has Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra performing a jazzy "Hawaiian War Chant" in front of an elaborate Poly-pop stage.

That stage looks like a giant Scorpion bowl!

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-24 05:50 am   Permalink

This is the best screensnap I could get:

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 6:32 pm   Permalink

Found this tantalizing little ad when I was doing some newspaper archive research:

The phrase that got me of course was:

"The Tiki, God of Fertility, The Love Idol Beneath the Sea!"

Looking up the movie online, I found the following description, which doesn't mention the idol under the sea, unfortunately:

A 1955 Italian independent film, released in the USA in 1956, which is basically a travelogue telling four stories, each about a different island in the South Pacific. Native customs, tribal rites,ceremonial procedure, courtships, and feats of strength and courage are depicted. The test of courage, for males, on one island , is a leap from a high wooden tower to the ground with a thin vine wrapped around their ankle breaking the fall at the last minute.

The movie poster was nice, but no tiki either:

But as I've found several times in the past, the Spanish version of the movie poster often delivers:

You can purchase decent and inexpensive reproductions of this poster in two sizes at this website:

http://www.moviepostershop.com/the-last-paradise-movie-poster-1955

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-08 7:12 pm   Permalink

I dunno - I really like that first poster: Who needs a cheesy-looking tiki when you've got Pentecost Island land divers, man-eating sharks, topless women and that great caption: "The virgin paradise of ten thousand thrills!"

AND there's that picture down the bottom with what looks like a woman slapping a guy for getting too fresh...

Just to shamelessly derail this thread, I'll be bringing you photos of the Pentecost land divers in a future instalment of my Tiki Tour of Vanuatu over in the Tiki Travel thread...

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation