FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Were there ever any tikis on Fantasy Island?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Were there ever any tikis on Fantasy Island?
JonPez
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-31 05:45, Loki wrote:

That's what is missing from my Tiki Bar!
MACRAME!
Maybe a macrame owl would be a good addition, I've seen those.

Great screen caps!
Jon

View Profile of JonPez Send a personal message to JonPez  Goto the website of JonPez     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-31 12:19 pm   Permalink

Priscilla Presley?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 7:31 pm   Permalink

I was watching Fantasy Island last night with a friend. (It's impossible to watch alone because you have to have another person with whom you can mock the show.) Anyway, we watched Episode 4 from Season 2 titled Bestseller/The Tomb which originally aired on 10/14/78, and there was a scene in a tiki bar.

Please forgive the crappy screen shots.

Desi Arnaz Jr. wanted to be a famous author, so Mr. Rourke makes him the author of a book about sex. And let the nuttiness ensue. These ladies all want Desi to "Chapter 6" them.

Maureen McCormick makes a run for the ladies room because her mother wants to set her up with...

A nice pediatrician!

Close up of bananas, tiki and giant clam.

The two share a private moment. Maybe he wanted to give Marcia Brady's diary back to her.

Close up of the eavesdropping tiki.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 7:43 pm   Permalink

Great screencaps, Tiki-Kate! As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Fantasy Island tiki bar set got a fair amount of use, but the episode Tiki-Kate highlighted is the best of the ones I've seen, tiki-wise. A very close second is an episode with Annette Funicello (!) as a ventriloquist (!!) who winds up in a fight to the death with her dummy (!!!) WHILE IN THE TIKI BAR (!!!!). It's pretty spectacular.

Critiki - Critiki News - Ooga-Mooga

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2009-11-15 7:43 pm   Permalink

It looks like it's related to the Tiki from the Pee wee Herman Show.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-15 9:51 pm   Permalink

Correctomundo. This sad Tiki (actually two of them) were just for sale here in LA, at a prop house inventory sale:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33308&forum=1&start=0&hilite=Peewee

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 01:34 am   Permalink

I don't have photos but a bunch of the exteriors that were used over and over were shot at the Coco Palms on Kauai. There were not many tikis there but that place really was kind of magic.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 09:02 am   Permalink

Tikis on Fantasy Island? And how!

I originally posted this and a few other shots from this episode in
another thread, since I think TC can never have too many threads called "tiki tattoo".

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-16 09:32 am   Permalink

Now THAT is a scary pagan idol!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 01:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-16 09:02, aquarj wrote:
Tikis on Fantasy Island? And how!

I originally posted this and a few other shots from this episode in another thread, since I think TC can never have too many threads called "tiki tattoo".

-Randy

Am I the only one who thinks Tatoo bears a striking resemblance to the United Airlines menehune in this picture? I think the costume department was having some fun.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-17 05:34 am   Permalink

I think Tattoo makes a better menehune than tiki.

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-17 12:43 pm   Permalink

Someone in costume made a decision to not put Tatoo in Tapa cloth like the others.

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 7:20 pm   Permalink

Okay. I'm not sure when I became the crazy girl who watches Fantasy Island and then takes pictures of her TV, but it is what it is.

These screencaps are from an episode titled I Want to Get Married/Jewel Thief that originally aired on 10/21/78.

Meredith MacRae wants to find a husband on Fantasy Island because her significant other kept postponing their wedding. She goes to the Fantasy Island Disco to hang with her potential suitors until the evil Ken Berry tells all of these men that she's a hooker. Then they start getting fresh with her and this week's nuttiness ensues.

Apparently, the addition of a variety of birds is what turns a tiki bar into a disco.

This is obviously the same place from my previous post.

They even had tiki torches outside.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 8:25 pm   Permalink

I don't think there is anything crazy about liking fantasy island, (or taking pictures of your TV)...Fantasy island was a great 70's/80's show, from the location to the opening music to Mr. Rorke....class all the way!

I have the first season on DVD.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mike and marie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-30 6:48 pm   Permalink

This thread has been on our mind lately as we've begun to revisit Fantasy Island ourselves thanks to the DVD rereleases. Our own dim childhood memories of the show are shadowy and vague (way past our bedtimes!) ... it seemed to be somewhat mysterious, and tropical of course however not tiki at all -- we just remember the ferns, white wicker and the red jeeps. (Correction, all Marie remembers is Tattoo ringing the bell.)

But it still seemed like good playing for the tiki bar because it's old, set in a tropical locale, and we wanted to investigate and see how much (if any) tiki there really was. We're glad to see the posts above showing that there's more tiki ahead in the next few seasons that we have to look forward to.

What struck us right away in this experiment is how much
the theme song owes to "Ebb-Tide" ... like it's almost an inverted version of it.

No tiki at all in the original pilot, the two hour movie, and first half-dozen episodes, not anywhere. Just a vaguely "tropical" hut, the exotic drinks at the beginning of each episode, and a Polynesian outdoor buffet to rival any put together by Trader Vic:

And lots of ferns ... also this Mesoamerican-looking figure by the door (and I don't mean Tattoo!):

The magic doesn't happen until episode 7. Then, with the sound of waterfalls from walkway overhangs above, is a brief site of something that should capture the attention of any tikiphile:

Tiki credit for anyone who can name the place and location. It still looks more or less the same today (at least on the outside), but it's currently endangered:

This cuts to the interior scene of the tiki bar:

Maybe the best thing about it is the lighting. There are many very nice looking lamps used throughout the tiki bar as you'll see in the various clips, like:

They soon developed the outside facade to the bar. After this it's no longer the real-life location noted above, but now it's a small corner complex built of a red and white striped lighthouse, a boxy warehouse type center with fishnet, and the doorway with the awning that seems suspiciously like leftover material from the canopies on the jeeps:

Kelbo's, anyone?

It definitely looks like the prop exterior was modeled after the W Pico Blvd location ... and now you know why the former LA tiki landmark Kelbo's is now called "Fantasy Island"!

The (as yet unnamed) tiki bar gets a rest for a few weeks, and then comes back in episode 10, where it's featured even more prominently than this guy's collar:

If the Kahiki had been built 17 years later than it had, maybe the village seating area would have looked something like this:

The tiki is even having an effect on the cast:

So is the fishnet:

By episode 11, the bar area comes into prominence:

We couldn't quite make out what it said on the menu cover, but it had us wondering if it was real or a prop:

So the tiki bar was surprsingly impressive, and if it existed today in real life would certainly have high Critiki values of tilt and vibe.

But as bigbro indicates in BoT, this is past the prime of Tiki and well into the tiki devolution of the late 70s. It's not just tiki that changed -- it was the world. Tiki's heyday was the Modern age, and by the late 70s the world had gone Postmodern. Two big indicators evident in season one of Fantasy Island will show this. One has already been mentioned here -- macrame:

And ... disco:

Despite this overwhelming just-past-the-prime feeling about it evident in some of the decor, wardrobe and music choices, we found the show to be somewhat entertaining. We'll be coming back for season two.

Who says there's no tiki on Fantasy Island?

Now as for The Love Boat, we're working on it!

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2014-04-30 18:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2014-04-30 18:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2016-03-20 20:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mike and marie 2016-03-21 12:46 ]

View Profile of mike and marie Send a personal message to mike and marie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation