[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Why Today's 'Alt Rock' Sucks So Much
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Why Today's 'Alt Rock' Sucks So Much
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 06:38 am   Permalink

Instant Punk Kit

Includes Spiked hair headpiece, spiked choker, and 1 wristband.

One size fits most
Vest not included

"This punk set did it's job! My little boy was going to be a rock star for Halloween and his dad was going to match his costume in an adult version for a Halloween camping trip this past weekend. They won a prize for best costumes! My husband looked so great in this crazy get-up. The spike wig fit great because he doesn't have a full set of hair. Put this punk set together with a punk t-shirt and punk boots and you have a great costume at a great price! Would definitely recommend!"

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 08:31 am   Permalink

I hate when all the punk bands I like are wearing this costume.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 3:18 pm   Permalink

..actually, it's pretty avant garde to wear a costume mohawk headpiece as opposed to getting a real hawk....wish i would have thought of that when i was 16...before shaving my head with the real deal...

i may just run out and get me one of those fake hawks and start wearing it on a daily basis...my way of thumbing my nose at those that thumb their noses! har!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 4:57 pm   Permalink

Cool.

This Bilge worthy thread was made as a meaningless nonsensical comment on a buncha crappy music I waded through yesterday.

Still, I hope to see more middle agers wearin' plastic mohawks fer real. Why not? It sure beats Dockers and Polo shirts. And it'll brighten up the lengthening unemployment lines.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-06 06:16 am   Permalink

Well, I dunno 'bout the rest of the planet, but 'round these here parts the 'hawk is in vogue as the latest hip hairstyle, even if they're more like short-hawks and the sides aren't totally shaved-down.
A supervisor where I work has one. I felt compelled a coupla times to explain that there was a time when you could get seriously hurt or possibly killed for looking like that, but I managed to control the dad-speak.
If it starts with "When I was your age", don't even bother.
I was going to show up with a REAL 'hawk, but realized it would be too thin to notice and would start at the top of my head anyway...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 10:33 am   Permalink

"...The 'hawk is in vogue as the latest hip hairstyle, even if they're more like short-hawks and the sides aren't totally shaved-down."

That sounds like it could be classified as a faux faux-hawk.

Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-06 06:16, twitch wrote:

I was going to show up with a REAL 'hawk, but realized it would be too thin to notice and would start at the top of my head anyway...

Wattie still does it.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-10 10:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-06 10:43, Heath wrote:
Quote:

Wattie still does it.

And he still sucks! I've always hated the Exploited. Anyway, I thought he was sporting a more burning man dreadyhawk now?

Now this is a real mohawk!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-11 7:32 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2008-12-10 10:40, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wattie still does it.

TIKIKAIMUKI wrote:
And he still sucks! I've always hated the Exploited. Anyway, I thought he was sporting a more burning man dreadyhawk now?

Wow, harsh to old Wattie. Funny how people get so pissed about that band.
I know they weren't the most intelligent band back in the day, but they had a few really good raw sounding tunes I liked. Dead Cities is a classic and I love the rolling deep sound from the title track on Horror Epics. You've gotta admit, they at least elicit a response which is more than I can say for most of the emo horsesh*t I've heard lately. This whole limp-wristed-pud-pulling-sad-core stuff is just a giant Buzzcocks/Joy Division rip anyways. Those bands were crying about being wimpy way before any of these new groups had gotten out from under the veil of whatever their blinder wearing parents were listening to.
Didn't mean to rant.
I need to switch to decaf tea.
Peace

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-12 08:33 am   Permalink

Wow, harsh to old Wattie. Funny how people get so pissed about that band.
I know they weren't the most intelligent band back in the day, but they had a few really good raw sounding tunes I liked. [/quote]
It's not about being pissed, it's about them simply sucking. I don't rate a band by the intelligence of their lyrics, I like a lot of bands who have dumbass songs. It's just my opinion that the Exploited are hacks who rode to fame more on image than doing anything musically interesting(much like the bands in the charts today- could someone please kill the Killers). Bands somewhat similar in the punk genre like UK Subs, Subhumans, and GBH just did it so much better. New bands like Bonecrusher, who cop that stomping sound, have sometimes lame lyrics, but the vocals and music will knock you on yer ass.
I will admit more of a fondness for American punk, so you may disregard any of the above opinions.

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-12 1:04 pm   Permalink

Each of the bands you mentioned all have different sounds. Nice lumping together of English bands. They were all doing "it" different. Don't want to start a big thing here, but what the hell. Try and take another listen and don't let those back issues of Maximum Rock and Roll form your opinion for you.
Love and kisses.
Matt

Ypo realize of course I'm just stirring the pot. Or "pit" as it were.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-13 11:12 am   Permalink

Never really read MRR, so I don't understand your attempt at cleverness. I tend to actually listen to things myself rather than have some doofus(I can say this 'cause I wrote reviews for a mag) tell me what's good.
I wanted to like and understand the Exploited because a few of my friends were really into them. The more I listened
the more I came to the conclusion that they are hacks. I listed the other bands because if you were familar with them you would know that they share SOME sound similarities with the Exploited- it's not like I mentioned Crass or the Damned.
Anyway, this pot is stirred and it's ready to be dumped down the garbage disposal.
Apologies for hijacking the thread. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-13 11:10 pm   Permalink

That was awesome.

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-13 11:36 pm   Permalink

It was the record that you needed to complete your punk collection
It was everything you wanted, it was some sort of affection
Better than The Blitz or Crass in pink hairspray and plexi-glass
You snuck aboard and took the class
You're a punk rock school for pop stars stowaway

You commanded our attention on the flagship of enchantment
With some help from Stella Stevens and some surgical enhancement
You were always there to save the day, with just a pinch of T&A
From Shelton, WA to York, PA

Behind the costumes and the make up and the cherry ice cream under
Where the punkers meet the wavers and the greatest three hit wonder
We put our faith in distant stars, from basement shows to disco bars
New wave clubs to sports guitars

Stow Away
by
Tullycraft
from the album
Disenchanted Hearts Unite

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-14 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-10 10:40, TIKI KAIMUKI wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Wattie still does it.

Now this is a real mohawk!

Actually

THIS:

is a REAL mohawk. Although I think its more Death Rock than Alt-Rock (and he happens to be one of my good friends so no dissing his do!)

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation