FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Tikiyaki Orchestra - New Year's Eve at Kona - Ticket Sales End at 12:00 Midnight TONIGHT !
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Tikiyaki Orchestra - New Year's Eve at Kona - Ticket Sales End at 12:00 Midnight TONIGHT !
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 1:05 pm   Permalink

2 of the few people that make me feel small.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-16 1:17 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ff46b58Hk

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 1:26 pm   Permalink

heyoooo

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-18 07:58 am   Permalink

bump

Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 08:06 am   Permalink

Bumpity-bump

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-19 08:26 am   Permalink

I sat in on a meeting with Tikiyaki and the Eliminators last night in the Outrigger Bar at Kona. The Eliminators are stoked for this event and are putting the word out big time to their fans and friends. Tikiyaki has a few email blitzes ready to go as well.

Bottom line...If you are on the fence about going to this very cool NYE event, then it's time to act and get your tickets before they sell out. $15 per person is about the least expensive NYE ticket I've ever seen. Jim (Tikiyaki) is doing that because he wants everyone to have a chance to attend and event like this and have cash left over for dinner, drinks and souvenirs. Whatta guy!

Someday we'll be sitting in a tiki bar somewhere going, "Remember when we got to spend New Year's Eve with the Tikiyaki Orchestra at Kona and it only cost $15? Yeah, now we gotta get lucky to catch them when they're in town at some upscale swanky dinner club!"

This may be your last chance to see a class exotica act and spend time in the historic Hidden Village (formerly Sam's Seafood). The future is uncertain for Kona, so don't let this be something you kick yourself over for not going down the road! And bring your cameras!!!

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 09:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-19 08:26, SoccerTiki wrote:
The future is uncertain for Kona.....

You mean we are still not out of the water on that one?

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-19 10:10 am   Permalink

Unfortunately, no.

Since Soccer Tiki sort of let the cat out of the bag, I might as well elaborate, based on mine and his conversations with Chuck.

Without going into too much detail, things are not looking good. Based on the economy, I'd say any business that is in startup mode or struggling is going through the same thing, so it's not isolated.

I really didn't want to use this as a ploy to get people out to the show, but this very well could be the last Tikiyaki/KONA shindig.

So I'd advise anyone who is going to the show, or likes to document classic tiki establishments, bring your cameras, and video cams and get all the photos and video you can.

It seems this kind of thing follows us....this past Summer it was Hukliau and the Mai Kai...supposedly they were not long for the world, but the Tiki Gods smiled and the Mai Kai and Hukilau continue.

We've contacted a few big money players with Tiki interests, to see if they'd be interested, but haven't heard anything.

So if you have a rich pal....hit em' up !

And before anyone goes on about how they "don't make the drinks right" or any other broo ha ha about how they "could have succeeded", just know that KONA sits on a VERY expensive piece of real estate, is very large, and takes alot of money to operate. No perfectly made tiki cocktail or decor accent can change that...not in 2008.

There are really few large scale tiki restaurants left, and KONA is one of them. The Mai Kai being another, but being in a Prime SoCal location, it has to be challenging to keep a place like this going.

Soccer Tiki and I have said it many times....Go there, enjoy the place, because you never know.

Last night, the place was busy for a Thursday...a party in each banquet room, and people in the restaurant AND bar. People DO love the place, and not just TC people..locals, old timers etc....Lots of people will be sad to see it go.

I'm crossing my fingers, and doing what I can to help, but a big boatload of cash, I don't have right now.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 11:38 am   Permalink

Jim, your band would make any venue instantly "tiki" just by being there. I hope your show is a huge success. Merry Christmas, my tiki brother!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 11:52 am   Permalink

Jim -

I'll be at the Kona New Year's eve soaking it all in, camera in hand. Hope to share a toast with the band at midnight!

It's slightly bittersweet for me, having grown up in Huntington Beach back in the 60s. I remember Sams Seafood from my childhood - I have not visited Kona yet since I now live in the SF Valley and don't get down to OC very often.

Thanks for the insight on the status of the restaurant - another reason to make this event an evening to remember.

Thanks Jim - Thanks Kona.

Cheers!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-19 1:58 pm   Permalink

The list is growing....... Only 12 more days.... WooHoo!

The following people are in

Tikyaki
Marty the Lush
Soccertiki & WooHooWahine
Hinano_Paul & Mrs. Lurker
GoGo & Dani
Tigerlily
Makedamug
Big Tiki Dude
Joe Banks
Tikigeeki
Tikimango
Kikivon Tiki + 1
CoCoJoe + 1
Iokona + 1
Auburn Hills + 1
Kick the reverb + 1
Hiphiphula
TikiG
Pineappleman11 + 1
PiPhiRo

[ This Message was edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-12-20 19:45 ]

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 2:13 pm   Permalink

Well, fellas, that sure put it into perspective. I just bought 2 tickets, hopefully will be bringing a friend, but I will definitely figure out a way to make it work.

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 2:38 pm   Permalink

I gotta tell you this news really bums me out ! I know putting the message out that things aren’t looking good for Kona were meant for those able to attend to really appreciate and soak it in. But im not able to attend and that makes the sting hurt that much more. I was there for the blessing of the Hidden Village and felt like that was the beginning of a beautiful thing. This place has withstood the test of time and is truly a historical landmark without question. But im going to remain optimistic and know this will be a collective thought among anybody who has ever visited Sams or Kona. Because now more then ever in these times we need a place like this that allows you at the doorway to shed the reality of the world, and enter an aloha state of mind. How many soulless Joe Crab shack type establishments can we endure and be dictated to that this is progress and the future? This place has walls that could tell many stories, hopefully one day they will tell yours!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-19 2:48 pm   Permalink

Yea, well, I, in no way want this to turn into a "ALoha Oe', Farewell KONA" party.

We will have that in the event that it DOES happen. This is a New year's Eve celebration, and our way of celebrating an amazing first year for the Tikiyaki Orchestra, in our favorite local Tiki Temple.

The "Blessing" was meant to be a new beginning and a nice kickstart for KONA and The Tiki community, so I'm bummed about it too.

Hopefully, The Tiki Gods will smile on KONA, like they did the Mai Kai.

One can only hope.

Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-19 4:52 pm   Permalink

Booked for 2 Today ---The Pineappleman will be there for the fun

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation