FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Zombie Hideaway
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Zombie Hideaway
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 12:28 am   Permalink

May I take a moment of your time and introduce to you,

The Zombie Hideaway

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-12-06 12:42 am   Permalink

It looks good so far but don't be a tease! Show us what you got.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-06 06:19 am   Permalink

I'm already flippin' out!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 07:57 am   Permalink

That's it!?!? Come on! Let's see more!!!!!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-06 4:44 pm   Permalink

Yeah! Show us more!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-07 6:38 pm   Permalink

I've had the privilege of seeing the Zombie Hideaway in it's early stages. Hang on to your jaws.

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sasquatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-08 01:33 am   Permalink

... I wanna see more!

[ This Message was edited by: sasquatch 2008-12-08 01:33 ]

View Profile of sasquatch Send a personal message to sasquatch  Email sasquatch Goto the website of sasquatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 03:02 am   Permalink

Tiki and Tapa, bamboo and lahala, looks good so far!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-10 07:12 am   Permalink

Aloha all! Thanks for the interest!! I will be posting more pictures, from the beginning soon!
The Zombie Hideaway is still not complete but it's getting close!

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 3:58 pm   Permalink

I guess to tell and show the story of the Zombie Hideaway, I should start from the beginning. A few TCer's got tired of me talking about it and wanted to check it out.

At first, I wasn't sure about posting pictures of construction and doing a thread. I decided to open a thread here because I always like looking at other people's work and see how they progress and thought I should do the same and show how and what I'm doing. Maybe someone might get inspired by what I'm doing and decide to create their own place to escape.

We bought our place two years ago now and for the past year I have been slowly working on finishing the bottom back half of our place. The two car garage was open to the rest of our ground floor. The perimeter walls were up and that was it. There was about 250 Sq.Ft. or so of unfinished just open space leading with a patio door to the back yard.

I was deciding on whether to put a shop in or a Tiki Lounge (or both) and decided to go with the Lounge. Doing both rooms would cut the space up pretty good and I would run into trouble with fire codes and the like. I have space I can work in so a Tiki Lounge was now the plan!

Here is a quick drawing of the space before I did any work:

We live in a townhouse so we have our two car garage(side x side)at the front. You would come down the stairs and open the door to the garage to access this whole area. When we were first looking at the house, we saw this as good potential for us as we could plan out what we wanted to do. The person we bought from worked on old cars so he actually had three cars in the garage with a back work shop area(where the patio doors are).

Here is a quick drawing of what the plan was and what we ended up doing:

You can see here now that I built a wall between the new space and the garage. To access the new space(the Lounge), I cut a hole in the wall to install a new doorway. This will be the entrance to the Lounge. I built a closet on this wall as well. It is a good size and does take a little bit of space away from the Lounge but, believe me, we do need the storage space.

With the building of the wall, I planned out how I wanted it to look when it was done. I wanted a little tribute to the Tahitian Lounge at the Waldorf Hotel so I kept in mind while framing that I would like to have two recessed spaces in the wall. Couple of velvets maybe??
I knew the space where the door opens into the Lounge will be tight because of the closet so I decided to go with a 28" entry door. I figured that would be a good spot for one of the recesses in the wall and then another on the longer side of the closet.

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-22 21:15 ]

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-04 4:42 pm   Permalink

I wanted this room to be as close as I could make it to an authentic Tiki Bar. Or at least one you might see in the 1950's or 1960's. That's it. No crazy colors, bright lites, painted walls or other items that you would not have found in the most classic of Tiki Bars.

Truly an authentic Tiki Lounge where you're transported back to a time where nothing else mattered except the company you shared and the drink in front of you!

I am hoping I can achieve this.

The name, Zombie Hideaway, came to me in a song. I couldn't at first decide on a name and it took about 8-9 months of thinking about one. I wanted it to be different but yet still have that sound of something you would find back in the day. There were a few vintage Zombie named places so when I figured this one out, that was it!

Quick story. One of my all time favorite bands is "The Amazing Crowns" which were a great group back in the late 90's that came out of Providence, Rhode Island. Heavy Rockabiily music that moves the soul!! I am sure some of you have heard of them. Anyways, the guitarist and drummer were in another band called the "Speed Devils"(another awesome band!!). On their self titled CD (If you like the Amazing Crowns or say Reverend Horton Heat, check this CD out! You won't be disappointed!), "Speed Devils", there is a song called "Zombie Rock".

I was working in the Lounge and was singing along when the lines,
"There's A Crazy Little Place
called The Hideaway,
Where They Play That
Zombie Rock All Day"
These lines struck a long waiting nerve! That was it. The Zombie Hideaway!!

That's the story so far. I will get some photos posted in the next post of the beginning of my build.
Thanks for checking this out!!

TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-22 21:18 ]

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 8:41 pm   Permalink

Okay, finally got some more time to get some pictures on here.

This is what I was starting with:

A space filled with all the crap!! Everything was in the space so first I gotta get it out of there! This is a picture of the South wall.

Picture of the West wall which has the patio door and window:

Always a bit tricky and not alot of fun to have no room for your materials and tools and still have to work and build in the space!!

The photos/room look pretty tight but it's because I can't photo the whole room because as I am taking these I am leaning on and stepping all over all this stuff!!

Some of the crap gone now. Looking South/West again:

Looking at North/West Wall:

Looking North/East to the new garage side wall. The opening is for the new closet door on the garage side:

This is the framing stage where I will build two recesses into the new wall so I can recess some velvet paintings into it. My little tribute to the Waldorf Hotel!!

You can even make out the stuffed garage and our hidden car!

Looking from the garage into the new room:

Next is the new completed Lounge side (North/East) of the closet wall. This wall is 2x6 so I can have a deeper recess in the wall. I wanted to give it some depth by the time it is all finished. Ran new wiring so each recess will have it's own light source and installed switched outlets to turn on the plugs. On the right, opposite the small recess, is where the new entrance way into the Lounge will be:

On the ceiling, the plan was to have two styles. I wanted an A-frame style on the Lounge side of the room which would have the Bar, Table, Bench, etc. Basically on the North side of the room which also has the recessed velvets.

The larger side of the room, with the patio door, I wanted to do something similar to what I saw at Trader Vic's in the Captain's Room in Bellevue. Well actually, I had the idea for a while of incorporating square matting and dark wood beams but hadn't made up my mind of the materials and the design.

Here is a picture I took at Trader Vic's:

I liked this look but wanted less wood involved in breaking up the larger matting I wanted. I decided to run the wood the width of the room and have the matting between the wood. Basically, 5.50" of dark stained wood, about 24" of matting, 5.50" Wood, etc. This will then run the whole room until it meets with the A-Frame end.

I also like the way this type of grass matting looked on the ceiling as I had seen at other older Restaurants and also the Mauna Loa Lounge that was once located
at the Mayfair Hotel in Manitoba:

I started by adding strips of particle board to the ceiling where I wanted the dark wood to go and the matting to be fastened to. I wanted the dark wood to be lower than the matting and to hide the edges of the matting so another strip of particle board was added to give it the thickness:

The matting comes in pieces of about 12'x10' which can make it hard to deal with. At first I was just going to staple it all up to the ceiling and then put the dark wood where I wanted over top.
I figured this wasn't too smart as that matting can be heavy and awkward to deal with when it's hanging above you and you're trying to hold it and fasten the stuff!! The solution to this was to separate the pieces of matting into 24" sections, which was basically two 12" squares, and then the length of the room. This will also keep the squares nice and even between the dark wood pieces:

This is my bashful fiance who helped me separate the matting and tie it all back together which was quite the process:

You can also see the new floor we did which was done at the same time. Because this room will be right on the concrete floor, I wanted to have a half decent sub floor. I choose the Durolock tile panels which are basically particle board with a plastic cube pattern on the bottom of it.
Each panel has tongue and groove edging and the panels just push together. The plastic on the bottom allows for air to travel under the floor which prevents moisture from coming up through the concrete. Not bad stuff but it sure added up quick on our pocket book!

You can see in the next photo (on the right) the last particle strip on the ceiling. This is where the A-Frame ceiling will start. Also, on the left is the space on the ceiling I have left above the patio door for another grand scheme and tribute to the Waldorf:

Well, that's it for now.
TabooDan

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 11:03 pm   Permalink

Wow... looking good!

Shaping up to be a nice room!

How about a picture of that great collection of boards!

I see a McGill, a Rodriguez, a Hawk, a Welinder, a Harris Mountie freestyle (!)

What else is back there?!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 01:05 am   Permalink

Hi Dan, where did you find the nice matting you're using for the ceiling?

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 05:52 am   Permalink

Hey Lake Surfer, Thanks! I am at work now but since you asked, I will throw a picture on here for yah! Good eye on the boards!!

Hey Pupu, I got the Matting from our supplier here in Vancouver called Coolite Bamboo Products. They are on the web at
http://www.coolitebamboo.com.
Let me know if you need any more info. You're actually not that far away!
I am not sure how much you need but I do have a section left so PM if you are interested in it.

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-30 18:06 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation