FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Zombie Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Zombie Hideaway
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 06:45 am   Permalink

Looks great! Any updates?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 6:23 pm   Permalink

Hi Dan, can't wait to see how it looks now. Have you had a chance to make more progress on your room?

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 7:33 pm   Permalink

Mr. Pupu Pants,

Here, here! Let's see some more progress from Taboo Dan.

Speaking of seeing more, are you ready to start posting on your Hula Sue's South Seas Hideaway thread again? I hope so.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 05:50 am   Permalink

taboo! your place is lookin sweet!!! luvin the trader vics wall peice installed !! that shld look sweet w the lights!!! cheerz!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-10 4:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha guys and gals!!
I have not been able to do too much on the Zombie Hideaway as I have been doing tons of other stuff. Bars, Custom Frames, our 57' and even more recently a little restaurant work (along with my full time job!!) have been keeping me very busy!!
I may show some of the other work in another thread once I get organized for those interested parties.

Thanks for the kind words all and the interest!! It does give us who are working on these projects alot of motivation when other people keep checking up on you and are waiting for updates. I promise more to come very soon!!

That being said, I did start to work on another ceiling light for the Zombie Hideaway but a little Sailor and a Cuban paid me a visit and I wasn't able to get too much done!!

Check out the picture:

Thanks and Mahalo!!
TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-27 7:40 pm   Permalink

Looking good! Keep posting yr progress!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-28 2:17 pm   Permalink

Great thread i just discovered and got to see so much progress from beginning to end. The fireplace was such a great transformation. I can just imagine on a cold Canadian Winter day, closing the blinds cranking up the heat and exotica, pouring a mai tai and escaping. Thats what a tiki bar is all about!

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-28 9:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Guys, thanks for checking out the thread and for looking for updates. You're interest is lighting a bit of a fire under me to get some updates on here! I really gotta do it and I will be posting some updates soon.
Thanks again!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-31 8:27 pm   Permalink

Okay, finally a little update. I have been so busy with alot of other things that over 7 months has passed with little work done on the room. I really gotta pull the finger out and do it but just so much of.....life just keeps popping up!

Here is where I left yah with the end of the room, the Hut area, where I am building a wall cabinet to hide the window and go behind the bar:

This is after the cabinet was built and ready for the stain:

The corner shelf on the right I was not happy with so I cut the top down to be the same height as the top shelf of the wall unit. You'll see this in later photos. I figured it would be a good unit for bowls and some odd shaped stuff.

Here it is again stained up:

The goal of this little unit was to hide all the light from the window and add some character and display space to the area behind where the bar will be. I also specifically kept my design in mind to showpiece a rare Frank Schirman Velvet that I have along with a few of his Black Coral pieces.

I want to have the velvet painting in the center of the cabinet with small, half-round shelves either side of it. Only a few, not too crowd the main piece. As a backing for the velvet, I am using real Tapa Cloth from Fiji.
In the upper outside left and right sections, I will have glass shelves with a mirror backing to help add depth and maybe help make the room look a little bigger as well as bounce around some light. Down below, I will have glass shelves where the cabinet doors go all with a dark backing which you will not notice once this unit is loaded up.

This is the top half of the unit removed from the bottom to make it easier to work on:

Next is some of the Tapa Cloth being added:

I couldn't find my big piece of this style so I will be cutting up some of the pieces I have and making a pattern around the space that I want. The center does not have to have any Tapa as the velvet will be covering this blank space. Yes, it would have been better to use a bigger piece but I couldn't find the piece I had in time. This way did give it kind of a cool pattern and made it a bit more decorative though.

Here is the center section finished up:

Here's the whole cabinet again:

To add another texture and material to the room, I decided to go with a dried banana leaf to use for the roof. I had also not seen these used to commonly so thought it would be different. It adds another color and another example of all the different types of materials you would have found in some of the old Polynesian Restaurants. This was imported right from Bali.

The banana leaf is folded over a piece of split bamboo and then the next piece is added then laid on top folded over and continued down the section. They are then tied to the bamboo. They came in pieces about 14" by about 30" wide and are perfect for roofs or ceilings!

Here's the cabinet with the banana leaf roof on:

In this shot, I have not yet cut the leaf to the exact length of hang over yet so it may seem to hang over too much at the top. You can also just make out some of the strips of rope lighting that will be going in under some of the shelves and under the banana leaf. Also, the corner shelf has been cut down away from the ceiling.

That's it for tonight. More to come!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 05:01 am   Permalink

Fantastic job Dan. Love the way you have mixed all of the materials and textures into your decor. Great job as always and can't wait to see more. They all blend together very well. How did you attach the tapa to the back bar?

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-01 1:50 pm   Permalink

Happy New Year Dan
What an awesome, awesome room. Everything you do in there just looks absolutely classy and tiki at the same time. Not always the easiest feat.
I always look forward to updates.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 7:47 pm   Permalink

Hey Trav, Happy New Year to yah!!
Thanks for the kind words and for checking back!

I attached the Tapa Cloth by using spray adhesive. I didn't really want to wreck the Tapa but knew I would have to glue it so it stayed where I wanted it to.
You could use Contact Cement and apply it with a brush as I have done that before and it worked fine. It really depends on how much trim like bamboo or whatever you are putting on over top of the cloth which can also help the Tapa Cloth hold down.

DO NOT USE a cheap spray glue (like Elmer's brand or a no-name craft glue)!! You may save $6-9 at the time but you will regret it in the long run!! Make sure it is a good one like the 3m brand (Avail. at Home Depot) or what I used was a proper upholstery adhesive. Sure, some of the adhesive did come through some of the thinner areas of the Tapa but once the glue dried there was no issue's whatsoever.

Aloha Mr. Pupu Pants! Happy New Year to you as well!!
I am glad you are back to posting on your thread and appreciate you very kind remarks!! Classy??!! Thanks, I like that! If old Trader Vic was still around I would have loved to have him over for a drink! Well, he'll be here in spirit!Mahalo!!

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-04 9:10 pm   Permalink

Here's just a couple more shots of the center area of the behind the bar cabinet.

This (unclear!) one is of some of the small semi-round shelves that are going to go on the Tapa either side of the velvet painting:

Here's a shot a little closer:

And this shot is of the cabinet with the six half-round shelves installed and the Schirman velvet in place:

You can also note the dark wood box under the velvet. This just gives a bit of a 'step' to have some bottles or display pieces at different heights.

More to come with some of the other backing done and some accent lighting done.
Mahalo!!! TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-01-05 17:06 ]

Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 01:23 am   Permalink

Coming along very nicely!
Nice place for the velvet.
Look forward to seeing more
pictures.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 7:26 pm   Permalink

Next is a shot of the wall unit's center velvet area again where you can see mirror that I had cut and installed as a backing on either side:

Mirrors make absolutely great backings for bars. Even in Tiki Bars!! It adds alot of depth and really makes the space look larger. It also displays your collectibles very well and also helps bounce around light. I think it adds that little bit extra.

You can see in the photos how the mirror makes this wall unit look deeper than it actually is. The top section of this unit is only 5.5" deep.

Here's an overall shot again:

These shots shows the lower cabinet pretty well. The left, center, and right sections have glass doors going on them and will have glass shelves. The two other sections with the drawers will be open and have one fixed wood shelf. Should be able to fit tall bottles in these two areas.

A closer shot of the upper right side:

I wasn't going to point it out yet, but here's a mistake I made which I did not realize until after the cabinet was built and the mirrored backing was cut and installed.
The above photo was taken at my eye height in front of the cabinet. You can clearly see, because of the mirror, the unfinished back of the front rail of my cabinet. Look in the center middle of my photo. You can also see the rope lighting that was hidden away up there. This is with the rope light off.
Okay fine, I can stain the back of the rail but when the rope light is on you will see it in the reflection of the mirror. I later fixed this with a piece of dark stained wood attached to the top back (over top of the mirror) so you don't have the mirror reflecting the inside top of the unit. Next time, I just wont have the mirror run all the way up to the thatch roof.

Left side:

You can see the holes I drilled in the sides which will have pegs for glass shelving to go in at a later date with the mirrors behind them.

Here's the cabinet with the rope light on:

Crappy daylight reflecting in the mirror but you get the idea here. I wanted to have accent light only but just enough to see the velvet and what may go on some of the shelves.

Here's where you can see the mistake again :

The glow from the rope light just illuminates that whole unfinished area and is way to visible in the reflection of the mirror. That will be taken care of.

Here's another angle:

And with the rope light visible:

I also replaced the pieces of wood that cover the rope light on the left and right sides. That way, when you are sitting down and looking at the cabinet, you don't see any rope light at all and get just the glow.

This last photo is a shot of the top of the cabinet with the banana leaf covered roof looking towards the back wall. You can see the rope light through the leaf which adds kind of a cool effect when it is real dark in the room.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking!
Mahalo, TabooDan

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation