FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Zombie Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Zombie Hideaway
BIG tiki scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-05 7:44 pm   Permalink

TABOODAN!!! the zombie hideaway is lookin REALY SWEEEEET!!! thats gonna be one sweet room when ur dun !! hats off!! cheerz!!

View Profile of BIG tiki scott Send a personal message to BIG tiki scott  Email BIG tiki scott Goto the website of BIG tiki scott     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-27 6:56 pm   Permalink

Okay, Nothing too huge here, just a quick lamp I kind of put together.

Here is a shot of this side of the room with the fireplace:

Looking straight up at the ceiling once I added the matting and removed the old fixture:

Because I was adding sea grass matting to the ceiling, I added a extension ring to the box so it would securely and safely hang a light fixture flush underneath the matting.

*Note* In some of these pictures, and others, you can see the white ceiling in behind. Well, once I get said and done, you will not see any of the white come through. If I was to do it over, I would have painted the ceiling like I do with the walls behind the bamboo so that that it hid the ceiling better. Sometimes you just dont want to do these things but wish you did later!

When I started off in the room, it just had a standard socket in the ceiling. When I was working I added this double bulb fixture just for a little extra light:

This is a shot once the ceiling was finished with the wood beams.

I had this cool old Amber glass shade that I thought would give a great glow in the Lounge. Here it is:

It's got that neat metal piece in the center with all the holes drilled in to it which gives a cool lighting effect and helps cut down on the bulb glare.
The only problem with this shade was because it was so old, it had the 4" opening at the mouth of the glass. The standard now is 3.25". You wouldn't think it was going to be hard to find a larger fitting for it but because I was looking for just a glass holder with no elaborate fixture, it became quite the hunt.

I soon realized that a few other people out there must be having the same problem because the ones I saw on Ebay were being bid on and they were selling from $14-19 each (in US funds plus shipping of course!). I think that's a bit much for one of these guys!!

After several calls and a few visits to some electrical suppliers, I found one and ended up paying only $6 for it which was right in my budget!!

They only had white ones so I painted it black. Pretty plain but here it is:

Once installed on the ceiling:

I had an old rattan drop pendant shade that I had purchased quite a few years ago wanting to use it in my lounge. I figured if I flipped it over and put this over top of the amber glass that it would look pretty cool. Like you would see on a semi-flushmount sort of fixture.

Here's the old shade:

I figured out the drop I would need between the glass and the shade and made the appropriate threaded rod size. A coupling, rod, nuts and a light bulb and that was about it.

Here's the glass mounted without the rattan shade:

And here it is with the rattan shade:

It came together pretty good as the shade hides most of the glass and you don't really see the color until it's on.

Here it is with the rest of the lights out and no flash:

You can see some of the effect of the shade and the metal where you see the straight lines of light. This continues all around the lamp and goes all over the ceiling. Hard to see in photos but it looks really cool.

One last shot with a few things on the mantel that were temporarily put out as they were being packed away. Can't decorate the Lounge just yet! Still lot's of work to do!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-28 12:57 am   Permalink

Great lighting. Looks really impressive when turned on.
And your ceiling is looking fantastic.
Keep up the great work.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-03 10:45 pm   Permalink

I'm curious - where did you find the banana leaf material for the ceiling?

Thanks,
GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 10:22 am   Permalink

That's my flooring - from World Market!

Comes essentially a dollar a square foot.

(Putting it on a ceiling and staring at it after a few Jet Pilots just might cause me to think I was, well, a few Jet Pilots too many!)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 6:42 pm   Permalink

It sure is cool to have a Tiki Bar page on here now! Thanks for all the work getting these threads organized! I'm sure it is a chore!!!

Hey Kon-Hemsby, thanks alot for the words!

Grand Kahu, I got the Seagrass Matting from our supplier here in BC, Canada. This stuff comes as a direct Import from China although I don't know exactly which Province. You should be able to find some at possibly some of your Oriental Supply stores or Rattan or Wicker suppliers or repair places. I am not sure of your area. Let me know if you need any other help.

Hey Formikahini, I got the idea of using the Seagrass on the ceiling from a few old vintage postcards that I had of some old Tiki restaurants. I thought it came out pretty good.
Although a buck a foot is a hell of alot cheaper than you would find up here. We gotta get dog sleds to bring it in you know!

Later, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 8:06 pm   Permalink

So classy looking Dan. Can't wait to see more updates.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-05 10:32 pm   Permalink

Looking great Dan!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 01:16 am   Permalink

Bosso room. But you know that.

Mahalo for the how-to all the way through.
A hassle for you for sure - but great for us to watch.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tyger jymmy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 07:29 am   Permalink

Very kool im doing the same thing Light that is . great info and love your progress on your room .

View Profile of tyger jymmy Send a personal message to tyger jymmy  Email tyger jymmy Goto the website of tyger jymmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-09 02:52 am   Permalink

Hey, TabooDan... You're in BC? If you want any more nifty light fittings or globes similar to that amber one, or need to pick up some cheap building materials, tell me. I'm down in Seattle, and we've got a salvage store here that gets all kinds of funky junk. I volunteer there, and I've seen similar amber shades. Yours went to one of those swag chain pendant fixtures from the 70s with the gaudy cast brass fitter. I'm sure I could help you dig up some electrical bits for pennies on the dollar, and building materials are dirt cheap there, too. Seattle has four salvage stores, but only one is inexpensive and has a lot of funky 60s and 70s stuff as opposed to "antique" things.

Your place is looking great, you really are getting the moody feel already!

[ This Message was edited by: TorchGuy 2010-03-09 02:54 ]

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-09 5:00 pm   Permalink

Hi Torchguy, which salvage stores are you talking about? Is one of them Earth Wise? Great place to find all kinds of cool old buulding materials and fixtures.
We bought a big red vinyl diner booth, metal trim and some old woodwork for our kitchen/diner themed room there.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucker's Tikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-09 10:31 pm   Permalink

WOW MAN! I tip my hat to your artistic craftsmanship. I appreciate your fine attention to detail, truly amazing work. I can't wait to see the rest of your finishing touches.
Cheers
KT

View Profile of Tucker's Tikis Send a personal message to Tucker's Tikis  Goto the website of Tucker's Tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-09 10:47 pm   Permalink

Earthwise is indeed a great place with great stuff and nice people. But the ReStore in Ballard is my go-to spot for inexpensive stuff, and more oddball stuff.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-17 4:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words everybody and for making me feel like somebody other than myself actually wants to see some of this stuff!!

Thanks Lake Surfer! You'll see some of your work in here soon!! Not soon enough as I am so busy doing other things right now but am wanting to get this all done in the next month or so.

Hey TorchGuy, thanks for the info. If I get down your way with some time, maybe I'll drop you a line and you can tell me some good places to check out. I hopefully will be coming down that way soon but plans change up here like the weather!

Updates will be coming soon!!
Mahalo to all!!!
TabooDan

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation