FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Zombie Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Zombie Hideaway
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 4:39 pm   Permalink

Hey Lake Surfer, Since you asked here are two shots of the boards in the garage. Kind of bad photos but I didn't really have too much space to work with!!

I still have a few more around and then I have the early 60's and 70's boards which are just packed away. Hopefully one day I can get all the boards displayed nice. They are great pieces of art and they got a good history!!

Sorry to all who aren't really interested in these but if someone asks to see my deck, I mean...decks, I show it!!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 5:18 pm   Permalink

Here is the North side of the room where the A-Frame style roof will go and the Bar, etc. The drywall has been put up on the new wall and one of the roof frames has gone up:

There will be four of these going up as it is easier for me to deal with and install them. I also wanted to keep the center of the roof strong and not have to worry about too many supports. Although, as I progressed, I ended up adding quite a bit more support to them just to make sure they stayed strong.

Here is my boy, Bones, coming down to check things out:

Here is a shot of all four roof sections up:

You can get a much better view in this shot of where the doorway to the room is. You can just make out the door on the right which opens into the room.
There was an awkward valance at the back top right (see first photo) which hides some duct work. I didn't want to deal with my hut roof running into it or the wall so I will just make it look like a big beam. You can see the wood that I have now added.

As I look at these shots, it looks kind of small. It is a little bigger then it seems here in person. This area, under the roof, measures about 9.6' wide and just over 6' deep. I will make it all fit!!

This is more of a straight on shot of this side of the room:

Because this is the ground floor, some might say basement, I did want to watch my height. The ceiling was bang on 8' tall which is standard. But that was also before I put my underlay down and also my strips of wood on the ceiling for attaching and adding the matting.
I will lose about 7/8" on the underlay, 3/8" for my floor covering which will be a nice laminate, and then my wood and matting on the ceiling which is about another 1.50" or so. Not too bad but I did not want the room to get any smaller than it was. That's why I went with this sort of split roof idea. It will separate the two sections nicely and keep the room looking large.

Also, my design with the roof only brings it down low along the outside of the area of the room where no one will be walking or standing anyway. I think it will actually make it quite cozy. Once the finished roof is up, it will be covered in material and then big 4" bamboo will run along it. More to come!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-01-30 18:09 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shampoovta
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-23 7:51 pm   Permalink

I spy with my little eye some bad as vintage skate boards. It's like a trip back in time to Dave's Cave skate shop 1984 here in Ventura Ca. Those Were The Days! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg

View Profile of shampoovta Send a personal message to shampoovta  Goto the website of shampoovta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 11:29 pm   Permalink

Yessssireee... nice collection of decks there.

Not one, but three vintage Cabs. Jason Jessee Sungod model (looks mint). The Roskopp. (I'm currently skating a re-issue of this model)

An Olson Skull Skates. A Saiz.

And your dog's name is "Bones."

I take it you were a fan of Powell Peralta?

They had a musuem at the 2005 ASR...
http://powell-peralta.com/history/museum/

A few of your decks in there.

Thanks for the pics... and the progress on the room looks great!

Good luck!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-24 12:17 pm   Permalink

Hey Shampoovta, You are right.....THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!
You just made me watch about 5 different versions of that song!!!

Lake Surfer, Yeh, I guess it shows I liked Powell Peralta!! I started sk8ing in 86' when a bunch of you Southern Boys (Hawk, Hosoi, Caballero, Mountain, etc. ) came up to Vancouver and did demo's at the Expo 86 on a huge 12' Vert Ramp!!
That was it for me and I swore to shred it up everyday for the rest of my life!! Well, that all ended about 8 years ago when I tore and fractured ligaments in my ankle!!
Never been the same since!!

Anyways, I guess this isn't really a skateboard Forum!! And who cares about old skaters anyway!!

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 1:15 pm   Permalink

Here's another shot of the dropped roof area:

You can just see a ceiling box in the center which will be hidden by the roof. I replaced the light and put in a receptacle there. Then I ran a power bar from there to the back left of the room. This is where the fake beam runs along the back wall. I will have a little access panel there to get to the power and will be able to plug different lights in from this spot. This way, when I turn on the main light switch for the room, the power bar turns all the lamps on. Of course, these lamps will all be low wattage! Just will hide alot of plugs and wires.

Here's a pic from under the dropped roof looking to the rest of the room and the doorway:

It sure sucks having the supplies and storage in the room you're working! Our garage is so full, we can't move stuff out of where I am working.
It's not that big a room so when I gotta work in one corner, I move all the stuff over to another, then work in that corner and move it to another and over and over!! Really sucked with the sheets of drywall and stuff like that!

The next pic is looking towards the patio door:

Have only done two sections of the 2' wide woven matting on the ceiling at this point.

Now here is a view of the woven matting all installed on the ceiling:

It sure was a pain in the ass installing it!! Me lady and I sure had a few "Healthy" discussions while installing this!! I didn't know she knew some of the words that came out of her!!
It was a good thing we had a decent plan for mounting it, like with the strips as spacers to keep it all even and the particle board edges to staple through to. It would have been pretty shitty to just staple this up to the ceiling without any strips. Plus, the damage caused by all those holes would have been a real chore to fix. But I ain't planning on taking this all down!! I'm pretty lucky to have the lady I do to put with all this!!

The next one (a little blurry) is of the door way again:

I have now added the heavy matting that will go behind an open wall shelf display. This type of heavy matting will only go behind this display as I wanted it a bit different then the rest of the room. I want to have as many different examples of natural materials and items that I could squeeze in. It will kind of keep it a little different from other places out there as well. The rest of the walls will have the more traditional Lauhala Matting which I got direct from Bali.

Another angle, straight on:

This shelf unit will have about 6 or 7 adjustable shelves. This will be kind of a dead space that will behind the door. Because of the doorway, it is quite tight so I want to use all the room I have. That's why I am also doing a recess in the wall on the left, direct from when you come into the room.

This open shelf unit will hold the Black Lava of the collection. After my last lounge, I said I wouldn't do a open Black Lava display again as I wanted to keep them behind glass because of dust. The design of this room just keeps things pretty specific and I do like the openness of the room and allow people to pick up and touch the collection.
Also, it would have needed some pretty big doors which would require me to do large frames for and I would loose some of the line of vision of the items on display so that idea is out the window.

That's it for now. Keep checking back!!
TabooDan

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-25 2:31 pm   Permalink

Nice! Starting to look like a real tiki lounge. Keep us updated.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-27 9:09 pm   Permalink

Okay, so here is the South Wall that is going to house the Fireplace and wall to wall shelving:

This was before the clean out and what I had to deal with first!

Our basement, when we bought the place, only had the perimeter walls finished. They didn't run any 240 Volt wire down here like the rest of the house for our baseboard heaters. So basically, there is no heat! Great for the summer but damn cold in the winter months!! Having a portable heater in here is just not going to cut it and ruin the look of the room so a fireplace it was!!

Beginning the frame for the center fireplace:

The fireplace is going to be a pretty big center piece for the whole room so it had to be good.

A little bit closer:

I used 2x4 and, just after this photo, 2x2 construction to do the framing and supports. I was going to have the top mantle bar height so I wanted the whole thing to be real strong. I'm using 1/2 MDF for the surface of the fireplace which is plenty strong. For the mantle, I will be having 1.50" thick piece of wood.

I was also looking at real rock to go on the front which would also mean it would have to be strong to hold the weight. I started hunting for that rock you see on alot of building exteriors that you were built in the 1950-1970's. I think it's called Mountain Gold or Mountain Harvest or something like that. I thought it would be cool to incorporate this rock as a material that again would have been used back in the day.

Once I had the frame done, I cut the MDF to fit the front:

This is a shot of the front where I have cut the hole in the MDf to insert the fireplace. It is just resting there right now as I play with the rock (you can see a piece held with clamp).
You can also see the beginning frame of the built-in shelves that will go either side of the fireplace. They will go from the floor right up to almost the ceiling and both are about 34" wide. To start, each side will have about 6 adjustable shelves and there will be room for more if I need to add any.
The fireplace I bought is just an electric insert and it has a down lite along with separate controls for the flicker flame and heat. The fireplace also has a remote control for easy function choice and turning it on and off.

The gables of the shelving unit are MDF and all the shelves are pine which will be stained. I used MDF for the sides as it will not really be seen as I will be covering them up and painting them. They are also cheaper and very strong. I would have had to buy 4 pieces of Pine at a cost of about $50 and would have had to sand one side so it was decent. Instead I bought 1 sheet of 5/8 MDf which cost me $20. I have aligned and drilled holes into both sides of the units so the pegs for the shelves will fit right in and will be easy to adjust.

Angled shot of fireplace and shelves:

The Shelves are about 11.25" deep right now and will be 12" deep when I add the wood face frame. I wanted the fireplace to have a bigger impact on the room so I bought it in a couple more inches than the shelves.

I will post some more pictures later tommorrow.
Mahalo, TabooDan

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 07:20 am   Permalink

..i'm sad....

you should have used one of those 6ft kahiki fireplace replicas from daddy kats in dayton, ohio....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-23 19:51, shampoovta wrote:
I spy with my little eye some bad as vintage skate boards. It's like a trip back in time to Dave's Cave skate shop 1984 here in Ventura Ca. Those Were The Days! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg

Dave's Cave was much more crowded than his garage.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 4:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-28 07:20, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..i'm sad....
you should have used one of those 6ft kahiki fireplace replicas from daddy kats in dayton, ohio....

Hey Tipsy, yeh....I saw those. They're pretty cool!
I would hate to have to ship something like that up here!!

This one won't be as cool but I am building it from scratch so it's all my work and I get it to fit perfect for me.

TabooDan

Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 4:49 pm   Permalink

Great job. The hideaway is looking good. Your progress is very motivational to us who plan on building our own tiki space in the future.

Besides your craftsmanship I admire your collection of decks. You may be interested in a book called "Disposable: a history of skateboarding art" if you are into boards from the era of your collection.

Also, it appears by the way you constructed your A-frame ceiling you may have built a skateboard ramp or two?

Keep up the good work and please keep posting your progress.

SF

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-28 7:10 pm   Permalink

Here's a shot of the shelf unit and a bit of the fireplace:

After finding some of the real rock (one piece attached in above photo) at a stone/building supply shop, I decided not to go through with it. It want really the cost but more of all the work. It isn't alot but just enough where I started to think twice about it. I was just going to PL Premium all the stones on and then grout around them. That way I wouldn't have to use a mortar to get them mounted to the face. I figured I would do it anyway but then I started to wonder if it really was the look I wanted.

I remembered seeing some stone designed paneling stuck to part of a wall at a local building supply shop. I went in to see if they had any of it available and they said they hadn't sold it in years.
Shit, I said..... THIS WAS PERFECT!! Haven't sold it in years!! How great is that!! Just what I need!

Something that isn't quickly available made it more interesting to me as it made it more original. And being that it was old and not too common was cool. I was trying to do the fireplace different and original but still have an authentic look. I knew I had to track some down.

None of the usual places carried it. The more specialized places for paneling and plywood's could get some sort of what I had seen but lacked that "look" I wanted. I was starting to have alot of trouble finding any.

I was recommended by one of my suppliers to check out a place that they order from. They do not deal with the public but was told to see this guy and he will let you know if they can get it.

This is a picture of the rock that I could find in white. Kind of hard to see but the one on the left:

You probably all know the brick one on the right and probably have seen this white one as well.

I called this new supplier and asked if they had any of the dark colored paneling that looked like stone. He said they had white and beige. Crap, I thought, as those were the colors everyone else had.
He got me to hang on a minute and went and checked the "Old" samples. He came back and said that he thinks he might have another panel but it is a darker color and hasn't sold any in "forever"!
I thought, this is it, haven't sold any in forever??!! I hauled my ass down to the warehouse the next day.

He pulled out the old samples for me and showed me the one he was talking about which I thought was pretty damn cool and old looking. PERFECT!! I got them to put two sheets (4x8) on hold for me as I still couldn't deal with them. Even though I had a business, they still would only go through the suppliers they dealt with and who have accounts with them.
So I got it ordered and picked it up two days later. It was funny because when I first got it, it was quite warped from being stored and strapped for so long. They had only one lift left and said I was lucky as they stopped making it years ago and they can't get anymore. Done deal!!

Photo's coming........

Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 06:06 am   Permalink

Looks like it's humming along. Can't wait to see it take shape - it's looking beautious so far.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-29 9:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks Robb for checking it out!!

I didn't realize my last post I rambled all about the hunt for the paneling and then didn't even show it!! Sorry about that! I will have one for yah at the end of this post.

Here is a picture of the two shelf unit's and the fireplace frame done and painted up:

You can see on the top left a drop down in the ceiling. This runs above the shelves and fireplace as well, along the whole back wall. The top of my cabinet mounts to the bottom of it and sticks past it about 5" or so. Makes for a little shelf right now but one day I was thinking about doing thatch all along there on an angle so it's like a roof. That I am putting on the back burner for now as I gotta make up my mind.

The center is painted dark yellow (I will call it that!) as a back drop for the bamboo. I can't have any colors coming through from the wall as this is one of the focal points of the room and will be right at eye level.

The back wall of the cabinets is a color I had mixed to match the dark stain on the wood I am using. All the shelves will be pine wood and stained dark so wanted it to kind of blend in. At first I was going to put matting on the back but I kind of wanted the mugs, which is mainly what the shelves are for, to have a different background. I may use matting, mirrors, or tongue and groove wood panels.
It will be very easy to change once I am done if I decide to do something else.

At the same time, I am doing the matting on the walls:

This next shot shows the patio door again in relation to the fireplace and shelves:

See all the Tiki Orb's flying around the room?? The ghostly glass float? All the trapped souls from all the relics. Another reason it's called the Zombie Hideaway!!

In this shot you can see the matting added on the outside of the shelf walls:

This was glued with a GOOD spray adhesive (By 3M) and also stapled along the edges and some of the center. Trick to stapling in the center (where it might not get covered) is to pull back a top strip of the matting, staple through the bottom cross piece and then pull back the top surface which will then cover the staple. Sounds easy but it took me a little bit to think about it. Works good and you don't see the staple at all.

In the above photo, you can also make out all the hand drilled holes in the inside of the shelf walls. This is where the pegs go for the adjustable shelving. Quite the process to do all these but there is a trick.
I laid both sections on the floor and made sure they lined up perfectly. I then taped them together so they would not move easily. The main trick here is pegboard. Get a piece of pegboard. It does not have to be too big. Mine was 12" by about 24".
First, I drew straight lines where I wanted the sections of holes to be drilled on the shelf walls. Then I mark the holes where you want to drill on the pegboard itself. Drill the holes where you have marked them on both pieces. Move the pegboard down to the next section and the drill again. As long as your board is straight along the edge, all the holes should line up. The pegboard already has the holes in it so you just have to follow those holes which are pretty much every 1" apart. Works every time!!

Next photo shows the start of the bamboo:

Center section above fireplace:

This section is going to have a custom frame for a large vintage velvet painting I have. I want this area completely surrounded by bamboo. I started at each end and then worked my way to the center. I added particle board strips to the back wall where my bamboo will be nailed before I painted.
At first, I was just going to nail the bamboo straight on the wall. It would look okay but there would be gaps between the pieces. You all know bamboo ain't straight!! I then decided to mount one edge of bamboo on the other. This gave it a little bit of a 'raise' and also got rid of any gaps between the pieces. It took a little more bamboo to do this but in the end it was worth it. You can't see between them at all and it looks good! At the height it is, it is important that you don't see too many spaces.

A shot of the velvet painting being held up just trying to figure on the placement and what I have to do for a frame and where I need bamboo:

This next picture shows the area without the front panel and fireplace and also the bottom strip of bamboo finished:

Quite a few cuts for all that bamboo!! The mantel will just slide right underneath the bamboo when it is ready to go.
All the MDF edges you see from the shelf walls and top will be covered by a dark wood face frame.
I made the fireplace pretty big as I wanted the top mantel part to be bar height, about 42" tall. This made for some dead space in the fireplace itself. I added a shelf above where the fireplace will go and that way I can have some extra storage in the room.
The top mantel will lift off, or hinge, as I am doing it in two long sections and there will be easy access. Just wanted to make sure I leave lots of airflow around the fireplace so I don't have any heat issues. Although, I don't have too worry too much as the heat is thrown from the front and the back of it doesn't heat up.

This one is of the unfinished frame:

Made of pine and will be stained dark like all the woodwork. I use Minwax stain that is available pretty much anywhere. I have found this product to be very good to deal with and consistent.

Oh, and finally, a shot of the cool rock paneling I found:

I'll post some pictures soon of this when it is mounted on the fireplace.

Mahalo, TabooDan

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation