FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Zombie Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Zombie Hideaway
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-29 10:35 pm   Permalink

ARR!!! Looking good! You inspired me today. I also love those classic skateboards! The name of your bar is perfect too.
Muchos mahalos for sharing!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 08:35 am   Permalink

It's looking great in there. I quite like the black velvet painting too. Was it a thrift store find, commissioned, or created by yourself?

Thanks for the progress pics.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 4:51 pm   Permalink

Hey Zeta, thanks!!
Keep those Mehico Posts coming!!

Slacks, the velvet is a vintage one I picked up last year. Picture's don't do that one justice! The colors are so vivid. Most of the image is dark but then you have this bright orange/red color and it really pops out from the picture.

Here's a picture of the fireplace with the stone panel cut and mounted:

Not too bad. What yah think? Kind of that old rumpus room sort of look but yet, when the woodworking is done, I am hoping it will look pretty classy!!

In the next picture, you can see the face frame being lined up and measured to the front of the shelves and top:

This face frame measures about 2.25" wide and is big enough to hide the rope lite that will go on the inside of the frame to lite up the shelves.

Now adding the bamboo that will go all around the frame:

A little bit closer:

I always try to have my nails, or whatever I am using to attach the bamboo, in different spots. If you do them in a straight line, your eye can sometimes catch that line and then notice the nails. Mix it up a bit.

Here is a close up of the bamboo finished and the frame in place:

Maybe I should forget the velvet and put in a Flat Screen TV! Not likely!!!!!

The next shot sort of shows how the mantel will go:

Still have a ways to go as I didn't decide on the moldings around the fireplace and around the outside yet. I do know I will have carvings of some sort around it. Either on the outside edges or right by the fireplace.
Reido, who does the carvings for Taboo Tiki, has been real busy and because I want to get this moving, I might do something else for now. If I want to change it later, no problem.

Now here is a shot of the frame with the velvet, bamboo work done, and the face frame around the shelves installed and stained:

Bit of a bright picture but you can kind of see how all the colors are starting to go together now. Still have the mantel to finish and all the woodworking.

That's it for now!!

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-02-06 17:20 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 6:38 pm   Permalink

WOW!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-30 6:58 pm   Permalink

That is beeeeeeeauuuuuutiful!
The whole of it is really looking pulled together. The color/tonal combination is really nice.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-30 8:11 pm   Permalink

Wow, its really coming along. I love the mantle, it looks great.

View Profile of Pyro Send a personal message to Pyro  Email Pyro Goto the website of Pyro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-31 04:48 am   Permalink

love watching the progress on this project - great inspiration.
that stone panel is great stuff.
nice boards too!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sasquatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-31 05:53 am   Permalink

... noice

View Profile of sasquatch Send a personal message to sasquatch  Email sasquatch Goto the website of sasquatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-02 5:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks all!! Glad a few of you like it!!

Since I was quite happy with the look of the rock panels, I wanted to use some more of it else where. I decided that I would like to put it either side of the patio door:

The plan for this area is to have sort of an 'outside' look. I wanted the rock either side of the doorway. Above this, where the ceiling is not finished, I am having another tribute to the Waldorf Hotel's Tahitian Room.
The curved ceiling with the Nite sky and the twinkling stars has always been a favorite of mine. I wanted to recreate this at home and see if I could do the same sort of idea.

The plan is to have rock either side of the doorway with large piece's of bamboo as molding around it. Then, have a curved ceiling which is actually painted with sort of a dusk idea in mind with lights. This will then meet up with a large piece of bamboo that will run the whole length of this area. This large piece of bamboo will meet up with the already matted ceiling. That way, when you are sitting under the thatch hut or the rest of the room, you can look over at the rock wall and then up at the twilight sky. Well, that's the plan anyway.

The curved ceiling will basically go from the top of the patio door up to the edge of the matting.

Here's the right side with the rock:

Here it is with right and left:

Here is a closer shot of the right side:

In this shot you can see the corner section. I wanted to do something a little more decorative and a bit more unique here so I decided on cutting the rock panel along the rock edges. That way, this will give it a bit more of a jagged, actual rock look.

Here's a close up of the cutting of the panel and the edge:

After I cut it, I sanded the edge to smooth it out and also round the edge a little and then painted it the matching brown as the grout color. It came out pretty good and I got the look I wanted.

Here it is on the wall and with matting behind it:

You can see the rock cut ends at a height on the wall. I will be doing a tongue and groove board that will tie in at this height and then run along that painted wall (where the drywall is).

I am also having a custom Tiki Pole carved and mounted here, right on the edge, which will tie it all together and finish the corner nicely.

Here's a shot of both sides:

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 7:03 pm   Permalink

Here's another shot of the fireplace:

In this next one, you can see how the velvet colors really glow when there is just little amount of light on it:

This shot is a little closer to the level of light that will be in this area. I am having a small amount of light above the painting and also a nautical lamp or two around it but that will be about it.

After the wall either side of the patio door got it's rock paneling, I focused on the East side of the room which is left to the fireplace.

Early shot of the matting just going up:

After adding the matting to the top half of the walls, I considered the rest of the room. I felt like I wanted to change it up a bit. The rest of the room will have matting on the top half and bamboo on the bottom with a dark wood section between.

I was considering bamboo under the matting here but wanted to give this side of the room a little more of a nautical feel and also a look that you might see in an older room or restaurant. Also, I was having bamboo on the lower half of the other walls so I wanted to change this wall up a bit.

At about this time, there were quite a few of posts of pictures of the Mai Kai in Florida here on TC. I looked at my own pictures of the Mai Kai and saw lots of woodwork in a few of the rooms. Beams, moldings and paneling was used quite a bit.

Here is this great shot of the Mai Kai from a 1975 calender I have:

I love this shot as it really could be any nautical themed restaurant in the world. But it wasn't. It was the Mai Kai!
The above picture just screamed class to me and I really wanted to try and do something in the Zombie Hideaway. It also has that old, authentic and historic look to me.
I know I couldn't really do large wood beams and the like as I did not want to lower the ceiling any further and I already had the plan of the dark wood to go on the ceiling between the matting already mounted.

After considering it a bit more, I now planned on having Tongue and Groove Pine Wood panels as opposed to bamboo on this section of the room. You can see some paneling behind the above pictured statue on the wall. I was thinking just the lower half was going to be T&G (tongue and groove) pine stained dark.

Matting added on the wall and around the doorway:

Here's a shot of the whole section:

Bamboo was going to go between the matting joints to hide the seams. After lining a few pieces of T&G on the lower section of the wall, I decided to change it up again and actually break up the matting a bit.

In the center section, I would pull off the matting and have the T&G go right up to the top.

Like this:

Here is a shot straight on:

You can still see the matting behind the pine right now. After looking at it and thinking for a while I decided it would be best to have the pine come right up. It should look pretty good right up to the top and break up the matting nicely.

Here it is with the T&G mounted to the wall:

I used a little PL700 (adhesive for paneling) to give it a bit of stick and then finishing gun. Worked perfect.

After masking of some of the matting, I began staining:

Here it is freshly stained:

Crappy color in this picture but it does show the top valance that I had to figure out:

Here is a shot straight on after the stain dried a bit:

No varnish on any of the wood yet. All woodwork will get about three coats on it which will give it a nice finish, seal it all up and make it all a little more durable.

More to come!!
Mahalo, TabooDan

TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-07 08:59 am   Permalink

Looks awesome. Thanks for all the pics. One idea is you could put plywood or 1x12 boards on that soffit above the T&G to give the look of a big heavy beam.

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-09 6:43 pm   Permalink

Hey TikiPhil, Thanks for the comments!! I still gotta decide on what will happen here.

Okay, when I last left the North side of the room, where the bar and table area are going to be, it looked like this:

The drop downs had just been added and the drywall not yet completed.

This is looking North/East towards the entrance, which is just on the right:

I still have the drywall cavities to cut out and also the center supports for the ceiling where the two drop downs will meet.

This next shot is of the same area once I cut the two holes in the drywall and began to mount the matting:

The two holes are big enough to display a few pieces that I have and will be adding later. Because the door area is a bit tight and the door opens into the room, I decided the facing wall when you come in would be great for a small wall display. I can't really do anything else here because of the door.
I can do the display where it won't protrude into the room and the door will have clearance yet still give me something cool to do with the wall (And a plan with the future door!!).

At the same time, I am building a shallow wall shelf unit that will go behind the door. It is only 3.50" deep but again, because of the door, it will give me something to display some items on and a use for the otherwise dead space. I have a lot more items in my collection to display as opposed to wall pieces so I could always hang stuff but I do need the display space.

Here is a view of that area, behind the door:

You can see the door just on the right. This wall unit is being built with all my black lava pieces in mind. This will be their new home. I used a different, thicker matting here to break it up a bit and use another type of material.

Once I finished the matting on the walls, I cut some original Tapa Cloth from Fiji, and mounted it on the ends of the roof structure and along the back beam I built:

I was at first considering making my own stamps for the tapa cloth or just painting a design but in trying to keep up to what I think they would have done back in the day, I think the builders would have just mounted the real stuff!

In this next one you can see all the pieces:

You can see the center supports along the ceiling between the two roofs. This will allow me to mount the thatching and all the other good stuff on the roof.

A different angle showing the window wall:

The plan here is to have a thatch that will hang down and come out from the bottom of the roof giving the "Hut" look. The underside will be covered up with a different material, not thatch, all together. Then, I will have large bamboo poles running on an angle out from the walls on either side of the room running under the roof. These poles will meet in the center either with a center pole or piece of wood.

More to come!!
Thanks for looking!!
TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-02-09 18:51 ]

sasquatch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-09 7:28 pm   Permalink

... this going to look amazing. Thanks for the updates.

View Profile of sasquatch Send a personal message to sasquatch  Email sasquatch Goto the website of sasquatch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifreak1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 04:44 am   Permalink

Can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished!! Looks great so far.

View Profile of tikifreak1 Send a personal message to tikifreak1  Email tikifreak1 Goto the website of tikifreak1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-10 5:09 pm   Permalink

Here is a shot of the beginning of the small shelf unit that will be behind the door:

I am making it out of pine and it has holes drilled in each side so I can adjust the shelves or add more as I need to. For now, there will be no lighting directly on the unit. Just a glow from above, on the ceiling, and light coming from the recess in the wall.

In this shot, I have stained the unit and have painted the wall it's base coat to go behind the bamboo:

I have also added the sea grass on the edge of the roof. As of right now, I have only added a strip of the sea grass right on the edge. It only goes back about 12" or so. I will be doing layers on the roof to make sure it is done to where I like it.

Walls painted up, threw some shelves on and just cutting and sizing the bamboo:

Here's one wall with the bamboo on:

The bottom will have a 3.50" dark wood baseboard. Pretty much around the whole room and it will all tie together through the custom furniture or whatever woodworking I do.

Next shot with both walls:

Each side of the doorway will have 4" bamboo either side.

Here is a shot of this side of the room with the edge of sea grass up:

I kind of like this shot as you can now see the shape of the roof much better.
The wood hanging from it is just helping to flatten the grass down a bit. I accidentally attached a small section upside down (upside down being the direction the grass was naturally going) so I had to do this to help me flatten it out a bit. It worked, well, along with a few sprays of water too!!

Here is a shot from under the roof looking out to the rest of The Zombie Hideaway:

Not the best of photos but you can kind of get the idea of the two sections of roofing.

Mahalo, TabooDan

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation