FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Zombie Hideaway
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Zombie Hideaway
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-10 11:15 pm   Permalink

Great thread, great room, fantastic workmanship! They caught the skateboard decks in the background but what about the old car - looks like an old Volvo?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-11 5:22 pm   Permalink

Hey MadDogMike! Good eye but it sure ain't no Volvo!!
Completely covered up there is our 57' Ford 300. We'll have her on the road by May but I gotta finish this Hideaway first!!!

Here is an early shot of the West wall where the window is:

And another one of this wall specifically:

The goal here is to have a large wall cabinet cover the area of the window and go into the corner. This will be behind the bar. Basically, there will be no window anymore. From the edge of the window to the corner is about six feet.
At first, I was going to build my own bar in sort of a Nike "Swosh" shape. Coming from about 18" from the left corner edge almost right into the back corner of the room. That's how I was designing this area of the room around.

Because the build (lots of reasons!) is taking so long, I will be putting off building my own bar right now and using an old vintage rattan bar that I have. I would like to build my own one day but for now, so I can get the room done, I will use the bar I have. It will still work and the shape of it actually works pretty good here.

I only want the patio door as the natural lite coming in as it's not too easy to get rid of or hide!! I will work around it and make it look good in the grand scheme of things! The window, however, is open game and has gotta go!! Gotta be dark in here!! I'll talk about the patio door later.

Once I added the stone wall and matting:

As I did the T&G on the other side of the room, to the left of the fireplace, I decided I would add a small amount on this wall as well. Basically, from the corner edge to where the bar would go.

Here is some of the T&G up:

You can also see I replaced the white electrical and threw on a Crazy Al Tiki wall plate. Great detail and awesome designs on his electrical covers!! I recommend you going over to his site and checking them out if you haven't!
I will be darkening the Tiki cover a little so it's color fit's in a bit better for me.

In this next shot, you can see the added matting on the wall above the new T&G:

I extended the T&G almost to the windows edge. At first I was going to build the bar but after deciding not to for now, I added extra T&G on the wall which will run right to the wall cabinet behind the bar.
Right on the corner of this edge, between the stone and T&G, will be a circular carving that will be custom done by Reido for The Zombie Hideaway! It will go from the floor right up to the ceiling. More to come on that as well!

Here's a dark shot looking back at the rest of the room from under the hut:

Supplies and tools! Supplies and tools!!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-12 4:27 pm   Permalink

About the same time I did the staining of the T&G for the walls, I got the wood beams for the ceiling cut up, routed, stained and varnished.
Alot of the woodworking I am varnishing once installed but with these, being on the ceiling, I did them down low. All these pieces are one piece of pine almost the width of the room.

Here is the ceiling looking towards the hut and door area:

I also added strips of hardboard on top of the chip board as I found I needed that extra thickness for the pine to go on and actually rest over and cover up the edges of the matting.

Here's another shot:

Here is the same area once I added the wood:

The spacing actually worked out perfect for the matting and with the 1x6 between them. Only the one right next to the hut roof is narrower but you don't even notice. The second beam in also has a fire sprinkler drilled out of it. I'll add just a touch of dark paint on the bottom of that to blend it in just a little.

The dark wood came out nice right up against the Tapa cloth and the sea grass roof as well.

The next one is of the ceiling with the fireplace on the right:

Here is this area again but looking from the left, back at the room:

Still have a few touch ups on the beams to do but nothing much. For right now, this will be about it for this ceiling. I will probably be adding cross pieces and bamboo eventually but for the meantime this will be about it.
The ceiling is kind of hard to photograph but it did come out pretty good.
Lot's of work and some damn awkward angles to get into to hold it all up but rewarding once I got it all mounted.

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-12 7:26 pm   Permalink

Lookin' awesome!

This should be a show on HGTV.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 09:03 am   Permalink

..did i get this right??..you put a shelf for tiki mugs and stuff behind a door that opens inward???....and what keeps folks from bustin all yer mugs when the door swings open??.....you better park your big lots and accountrements tiki stuff on that one!!! har!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 3:53 pm   Permalink

Hey, Thanks Murph!!

Tipsy, when you put it like that it does sound a bit funny!!
We will be okay!
The door hinge will have a stop on it so it won't hit anything. I need to have as much display space as I can so it is actually a good place as it would have been kind of dead area. There will be no mugs on this shelf! Just black lava and maybe a few small carvings.

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-13 4:36 pm   Permalink

Once I thought about this drop down, above the T&G, on the door wall, I decided against boxing it in to make it look like a big beam. I wanted to install a shelf up here to the underside of the drop down and wanted a different type of background for the items on the shelf as opposed to just dark wood. Plus, with a shelf mounted on the bottom, it would have plenty of wood in this area.
I thought I would do bamboo all the way along as you just can't have enough bamboo! I painted the background ready for the bamboo but then decided against it.

I finally decided on just continuing the same look as below right up to the ceiling. I would have the matting on either side and have T&G come all the way up.

Like in this shot, where I have added the T&G and one side of the matting:

Once I got the matting finished, I started on the shelf. I didn't want just a plain straight shelf so I cut a little flavor into it.
I designed it where it would be almost flush with the depth of the drop down on either end and then round out from about 12" in either side. I couldn't get it all on one piece so I had to have two sections.

Here is a shot of the shelf being finished:

And another where it gives an idea of the shape:

You can also see that I have cut out a small 5/8 channel into the shelf. This will be on the top side and this is where I will install rope lighting to lite up the items on the shelf and give a nice glow on the ceiling. The shelf is really just an accent piece and again just really giving me another spot to but a bunch of crap!!

This piece of wood is 16" deep. The drop down from the ceiling is about 10" deep so this shelf will only be about 6" deep. Perfect for a row of mugs!!

Here's one with the matting completed and the shelf installed:

You can just make out the wire on the far right hand side coming up from the shelf. This will be channeled to the back and you will not see it at all.

Here's a little closer shot of some of the electrical I was playing around with:

This next one is a straight on shot of the wall:

I will be adding bamboo to cover some seems and will also be adding a small side bar sort of shelf which will go right at the point between the matting and T&G. This I had planned on for a while and did this height the same as the bar, which is 42". This will tie in with the rest of the room. It will also be cut with the curved style as the above shelf so that they mimic each other. This side bar will also have a custom hand carved molding running from the left all the way to the shelf unit.

More to come!
Mahalo, TabooDan

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-14 06:08 am   Permalink

I really dig the seagrass mats on the ceiing. I've never seen anyone attempt that in a home bar.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-14 12:21 pm   Permalink

Hey Swanky, Perfect!! Thanks!
I'm really trying to get the feel of something you would have seen years ago and in an actual restaurant or bar. Well, that's the goal but I just don't have the space to do the stuff I would really love to do.
A few things I get to do are on the smaller scale!

The sea grass matting on the roof I have always wanted to do as it looks really classy.

This card of the Mauna Loa, as I've shown before, really made up my mind to try it:

This one of the beautiful exotic Papeete Room at the Kon Tiki in Dallas screams class to me and also helped:

Oh, and this nice one of the Islands Restaurant in San Diego:

I'm not copying what these places did just using it as an influence for what I can try to create at home.
It was quite an ordeal dealing with that sea grass matting as the sections are all sewn together and come in a large 10'x12' piece. We had to cut the twine between the panels to get the size and sections we wanted and then re-tie them so they didn't come apart. It was a long job but it was well worth it.
It sure made the pieces a bit easier to deal with and install as well as keep the sections symmetrical on the ceiling.

TabooDan

boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 3:00 pm   Permalink

Fantastic ceiling! I'm jealous. Nice work.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 4:14 pm   Permalink

Hey Duke, thanks alot!! I had a little bit easier ceiling to deal with then yours with all the pipes and ducts in that awesome room of yours!!
I still got a way's to go yet until I can get the collection out!! It will be like Christmas when I start to unpack it all! My stuff has been packed up for about three years now. I keep forgetting what the hell I have!!

TabooDan

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 5:55 pm   Permalink

Okay, let's go back over to the fireplace I had been working on.

Here is the fireplace after it was built:

This is what it was like when I just added the stone panel:

Here it is with the bamboo and vintage velvet (plus some crap in the way!):

At first I was going to have Tiki carvings either side of the fireplace and then a hand carved molding all along the top, bottom and sides. Sure this would have looked great but I didn't really want to spend the time on it and have Reido spend the time on it. He will be doing carvings for other areas of the room so why don't I handle the fireplace?

I am not a carver, by any means, so whatever I was going to do it would be more of using materials that I had or could get and using them in a way that was different but yet still be suitable for a fireplace. I also wanted to stay around or have a style of something that you might have seen back in the day.

I decided on doing some moldings around the fire and then possibly adding bamboo or some decorative woodworking to the molding. Then I remembered I had an old frame from a mirror that was carved and I could probably put that to good use. We had imported a few of these framed mirrors from Bali and I had one left over as it had a broken mirror.

Here's the frame, in the beginning, without the mirror:

It was about 24"x20" or so. The whole frame together like this I didn't really like. It's not your traditional type of carving and something you would see a little more specifically catering to the tourist trade. I did not like the color or the frame as a whole, but I do think I can make them look better.
I decided I would take the frame apart and see if I could use it.

Here it is in the four pieces, top, bottom and sides:

I pried, cut, pulled, bit, pinched and scraped the pieces apart!! They had made this to stay together forever and it was not easy!! It also sucked as I was trying not to damage anything and also make sure I could use the pieces again if I wanted.
It was also difficult as after they nailed the pieces together, they counter sunk the nails deep into the wood and then filled the holes with a sort of epoxy material that was very hard. I had to drill through it and all sorts of things to separate them. It was not fun!!

Once I had them to the stage in the photo above, I realized that they wouldn't really work for me because of the back piece (the frame) that they were mounted to. It would make it to thick for my plan and made it harder to deal with. So I decided to take them off the backing and have just the Tikis by themselves. Another pain in the butt but it in the end it worked.

Here is a shot of the Tiki on the left, removed from the backing:

Now I can use it to mount to the molding I would make. Now to remove the other and hopefully not break or crack it at all.

I wanted sort of a Polynesian/Oriental feel to the molding so I decided to angle the ends and have the top wood hang over the sides.
Like this:

I would have two small angled pieces protruding up from the top as well which would line up with the sides. I also wanted to make use of the other carved pieces, besides the Tikis, so I figured I would mount the one section of carving to the center top and then add two others on the ends.

Here is a picture of the pieces cut and taped to the base molding to see if I liked it:

After doing this, I figured it would work but thought It would be much better to have them not stick away from the wood so far. I ran into troubles here as it would have been very difficult to cut their thickness down. Too tricky to put through the thickness planer, or band saw. I was going to sand them to the thickness I wanted but that would have been messy, taken a while and I wouldn't be able to guarantee they would all be the same.

So I decided to cut out my back molding and actually recess the carvings into the wood.

Here is one shot of them just fitted into the holes I cut:

It gives them the thickness I want and this way they all stick out about a 1/4" from the molding.

Here they are in place on the fireplace:

Now for the color. I sure don't like this sort of red/brown color so I gotta sand them down and they will be stained dark like the rest of my woodwork.

Here is a shot of them sanded:

Sanding was a whole different ball game!! Really hard to sand them as they were finished quite well and I did not want to take any of the details away from the carvings. It took a few hours by hand to do all the pieces. I did use my power sanders when I could but alot of it was all hand.

Here are the Tikis once they were sanded as well:

Next is shot of them all sanded and taped to where they will go on the fireplace:

Once the Tikis were mounted and the molding glued together, it was time to stain:

Here's me boy Bones checking on all the staining going on:

And now, after all the work, the pieces put together and around the fireplace:

I was quite happy with the outcome when I saw it all together. Once I stained the Tikis, the details really popped and they actually looked like a more vintage carving and really didn't look too bad anymore. They are not fastened yet as I will do that later.

Here's one last shot of it all:

I still have the outer molding to do which will be a bit planer but they will seal the deal here.

Thanks for looking and Mahalo!!
TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2009-02-17 18:17 ]

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 6:08 pm   Permalink

Looking good. Thanks for the progress shots.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 6:13 pm   Permalink

beauty work! - looks sweet - liking the wood stain and the faux rock stuff!

niiiiccceee

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 5:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

Here's a couple more pictures of the fireplace which pretty much bring it up to date now.

As of right now, the fireplace pieces are still not secured in place. I wanted to keep them off the fireplace until I get a little further in the room and get the varnishing done. I also would like to get the floor installed but don't want to do that until the varnishing on all the woodwork is complete. That will take some time as there's a lot of it!

Here is a close up with the fireplace pieces varnished and with flash so you can see the colors and details better:

Here it is without the dreaded flash:

In the next shot, you can see that I have added the outer edge molding (left and right sides) which also has two of the decorative carvings recessed into it at the top. These pieces, unlike the carvings, are not varnished yet, which you can tell. I have also cut, sanded and stained the 1.50" thick mantel top. Beneath the mantel is another smaller strip to finish off the top edge:

Without the flash:

Here it is a bit further back with all the pieces together:

Again, without the flash:

Here's a bit of a side shot:

A closer detail side shot:

The mantel is about 16" or so deep but it sure doesn't look like it in the photos. The front section lifts off to reveal a storage section that I can use if I have to.

Not completed yet or decorated but it is slowly coming along. Still have quite a bit to do but can really see the finished outcome now! I really gotta get it done soon though so we can enjoy this space!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation